• Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I think it’s a good item to have. Something like this will do the job:

https://www.amazon.com/Zacurate-Fin...imeter&qid=1606187689&sprefix=pulse+ox&sr=8-4

630-AE279-F6-D4-4-C10-8803-0-F6647-D11-CFC.png

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Update: talked to Jess the nurse today. She said it's been mostly uneventful. He'd been on belly all night. They flipped him this morning. They were able to turn the oxygen flow down on the vent and he tolerated that well. The goal is to wean him slowly off the oxygen needs. They took new cultures this morning to check the bacteria in the blood. Things holding steady which is good for now.

Jama (buddy's nurse wife) She said they are discovering that laying patients on their stomachs helps. But not all hospitals have beds where they can do that.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Doc,

Are you still practicing, thought I saw somewhere you were retiring.... If you are, what is the hospital capacity like there related to the facility and not staffing? In Lake County everyone was on bypass for about the last week, but the buildings were a ghost town and ER was mildly busy. It was just weird to see as usually a bypass is a full ER and waiting.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is that what they did with Trump? Did nothing.....? Doc should of tested for Covid, not just send her home. Trump didn't go to hospital and get treatments? Are you sure your a doc? If your post wasn't for me I apologize. Not sure who your talking to. Otherwise your just as bad as the doc that never tested and start her on treatments.

Trump is the president of the united states. He is not subject to such common-person things as "admission criteria". Medicare is a giant lie that harms the elderly. If you are not requiring oxygen or anything that cannot be provided at home you don't get admitted to the hospital. Period. I sent 90yo with pneumonia home all the time. If there is no sign of respiratory distress, they are eating/drinking, not too weak to perform their activities of daily life, then home is the best place for them. That's just the reality. There are so many things that can go wrong in a hospital. Plus there is zero chance medicare will cover the hospitalization if they don't meet inpatient criteria. So a big whopping bill comes the patient's way and they get mad at the hospital and doc for it, not their insurance company who set the rules.

Sorry if I came across like a jerk, I'm just being realistic. We can't admit everyone, and if you don't NEED to be admitted, it's best not to be. That doesn't mean in a few days you won't be sicker and need to be admitted. Illness are dynamic and change over their duration.

Doc, the one who took offense to your response earlier mentioned they sent his Aunt home with double pneumonia instead of admitting her. Is that standard procedure? I've had pneumonia, and I was happy to be admitted and put on IV. It hit me fast and hard, and I don't know that I would have made it had I not been admitted. Just curious. Maybe I missed something too.

For the most part, the diagnosis does not get you admitted. It's your symptoms. Covid always causes "double pneumonia". I sent home several people from the ER with it yesterday.
    Question for Doc,

I’ve been hearing reports of ICUs filling up and some states are out of beds. Would it be reasonable to assume these must all be ventilator patients? If there’s not much that can be done but let the virus run it’s course, why would hospitalizations be going up so much? Just wondering if there are other factors at play this time of year or if I’m missing something.

as Hough said, most COVID is not getting on a ventilator. High flow nasal cannula is as high as they like to go if possible. It's a big cannula that can blow 60 liters of flow your way, with up to 100% oxygen. It creates almost a CPAP system that keeps your lungs open and you don't have to work hard to breathe, also constantly washes out the exhaled air so new air is always there, increasing gas exchange

Because some of our employers require it to return to work.

yes, many employers are idiots. Zero reason to retest, return to work should be based on symptoms. #science

Doc,

Are you still practicing, thought I saw somewhere you were retiring.... If you are, what is the hospital capacity like there related to the facility and not staffing? In Lake County everyone was on bypass for about the last week, but the buildings were a ghost town and ER was mildly busy. It was just weird to see as usually a bypass is a full ER and waiting.

I would love to retire. I'm jaded and hate what government and insurance companies have done to the delivery of medicine. Also frustrated with the entitlement mentality of some of our patients. But alas, I'm a long way from retirement. Our ICU is not full, but we are holding patients for med-surg beds. If the ICUs become full again they will start cancelling elective cardiac and other big surgeries that will require post-op ICU stays. We haven't done that yet and no current plans.

Yes, buy a pulse oximeter. If you're dropping to 90 or below or have significant shortness of breath, or feeling very dehydrated, hit the ER. If no one is sick in your family loan it to someone who does have a sick person. What's interesting is in March/April we rarely saw vomiting and headaches with COVID. Now many people have those complaints with it.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    2 friends hospitalized over weekend. Both fmr. 18Cs and thus high risk because all the filth that they breathed in in Southwest Asia.

At least I got to text them and brought one tacos (left at entrance), nurses would not let me in.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oldest nephew had it (22, Div. III football player) last month for 18 hours. He stood in shower until fever broke and then slept all day.

He was heartbroken that he could not eat or lift for an entire day. He was confined to his dorm room and the doc came to see him. He had to take an EKG test after doc saw him but everything is fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oldest nephew had it (22, Div. III football player) last month for 18 hours. He stood in shower until fever broke and then slept all day.

He was heartbroken that he could not eat or lift for an entire day. He was confined to his dorm room and the doc came to see him. He had to take an EKG test after doc saw him but everything is fine.

This matches up closely with what my nephew went through just before leaving on a full ride football scholarship to a university in Kentucky. I think he was a bit short of breath and feverish for 24/36 hrs. Nobody around him contracted it. He has no idea where he got it. Girlfriend tested NADA.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    To add a bit of context to this, I'll start by saying I'm an anethesia tech (I assist the CRNAs and anesthesiologists with setting up our specialized equipment, maintaining the ventilators, act as an extra hand during difficult intubations/ lung cases, etc). In the early days before we knew more about this, I learned how to set up a vent for 4-8 patients. This is well beyond what a standard OR gas machine is designed for and was described by one nurse as "apocalyptic medicine". The ventilator rep was speechless when the respiratory therapists told him how high the O2 flows we were using, but its pretty much in line with what Hoosierdoc described. 30+ liters. There was little to no direction from the CDC/ WHO for us (anesthesia techs and others on the support side of things), so we took to social media and started bouncing ideas off of others around the world to come up with solutions. One Swede I talked to who was in Wuhan built his own PAPR unit. One of our CRNAs rigged up a system with a PAPR hood that used a viral filter from the anesthesia machine, a cannula attached directly to the gas machine, and an adapter from a CO2 sampling cannula to do his cases that quickly caught on (we only had one PAPR at the time).

Its hard to describe the mood in the those days. Equal parts dread and uncertainty with a grim realization that we didn't have nearly enough supplies/ PPE to deal with this. It took months to get the minimum nuber of CAPR and PAPR units for even one surgical team. We've had long delays in shipments of hepa filters to keep the machines from becoming contaminated, shortages of prone pillows, 7.0, 7.5, and 8.0 standard breathing tubes, testing vials, breathing circuits, and I.V. fluids (though tfluid shortage is a persistant problem more to do with weather disruption in Puerto Rico), blunt fill needles, PPE, etc. Most of us cringed at the TikTok nurse dance videos. Some quit. Many ignored the precautions and earned hateful glances, even though we were using the same N95 mask all week (none for me, I need a PAPR, which we didn't have; so I stayed to myself for about three months in empty rooms). The environmental services and PCAs/ CNAs were absolutely fatalistic. Too poor to quit and no jobs anyway and constantly exposed to possible cases with laughably little PPE for McDonald's fry chef wages and a promise of disciplinary action if they caused too much of a ruckus. Hundreds of employees a week sent home with symptoms.

It was about this time we were on the downhill side of the first wave when the George Floyd protests happened, and the absolute gut wrenching realization that it had all been for absolutely nothing hit. The formerly spunky go-getters trying to deal with this thing just slumped their shoulders and prepared for a possible multi-year new reality.

Our current situation is similar to Hoosierdoc's. We've got open ICU beds, plenty of ventilators if needed, spotty numbers of rapid tests, and only the beginning murmurs of stopping elective surgeries and severely restricting visitors again. I work in Ky, so who knows what their governor will do; but as is we have enough hepa filters for the machines to last till March or April, and have gotten onboard with new treatments very early. Overall, its slower in surgery right now for this time of year than I've ever seen. I am mostly optimistic that we've got enough supplies to make it through the holidays. Everyone is talking about the vaccine now. I won't be surprised if having it will be a requirement for many procedures, similar to having a flu shot. We'll get it pretty early on, possibly before Christmas. Some systems, such as Cleveland Clinic, already go above and beyond what many would consider "invasive" requirements of their employees (if you test positive for nicotine, you get fired, for example), so some will be mandated to get it. My hospital is still in "volunteer" mode for this, but I highly suspect it'll be in next year's flu shot; and that is mandatory.

Anyway, thanks to Hoosierdoc for providing good info during all of this. Its been a wild year.

... as Hough said, most COVID is not getting on a ventilator. High flow nasal cannula is as high as they like to go if possible. It's a big cannula that can blow 60 liters of flow your way, with up to 100% oxygen. It creates almost a CPAP system that keeps your lungs open and you don't have to work hard to breathe, also constantly washes out the exhaled air so new air is always there, increasing gas exchange

...I would love to retire. I'm jaded and hate what government and insurance companies have done to the delivery of medicine. Also frustrated with the entitlement mentality of some of our patients. But alas, I'm a long way from retirement. Our ICU is not full, but we are holding patients for med-surg beds. If the ICUs become full again they will start cancelling elective cardiac and other big surgeries that will require post-op ICU stays. We haven't done that yet and no current plans.

Yes, buy a pulse oximeter. If you're dropping to 90 or below or have significant shortness of breath, or feeling very dehydrated, hit the ER. If no one is sick in your family loan it to someone who does have a sick person. What's interesting is in March/April we rarely saw vomiting and headaches with COVID. Now many people have those complaints with it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am leaving for a trip next week and got tested today. just a front of the nose swab but 8 seconds each nostril. it was miserable. instant eye watering. I asked to speak with a counselor after it happened, they didn't have any available :(

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    After reading through every post I remembered some of the things when my dad got sick.
    He was taken to a county hospital on Sunday April 26th and they said he needed to be transported to St. Vincent hospital for treatment. I have a totally shot immune system and I remember talking the doctor into letting me and my brothers visit him. No one said anything about covid at the time but we had to get our temperature taken and sign some forms.
    When I was the first one in the room with him I took my mask off and spent an hour with him. He was on room oxygen and seemed like he was doing okay. The nurse never said anything about covid until I talked to the doctor and he said it was covid.
    I gave dad a kiss on the forehead and said I would see him tomorrow. They wouldn't let us see him after that because the hospitals were getting serious about visiting. Anyway I just wanted to share with you guys that I was on the covid floor with a lot of health problems and I never got sick. Dad passed away that Wednesday morning.
    I'm thankful that I got to see him but I still don't wear a mask.
    It's my choice and I don't go around anyone who worries about me not wearing one.
    Dan

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    After loosing smell and taste on November 13th, today at lunch my wife got her taste back!

Good to hear. I am 10 days past having a fever and doing OK. Still have a bit of a lack of energy. I putter out around 3:00 in the afternoon. Last couple days the headaches have been back. So in line with what a lot of folks who had it mildly have been saying - 2 weeks to kick it for the most part, couple more for lingering symptoms.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I would love to retire. I'm jaded and hate what government and insurance companies have done to the delivery of medicine. Also frustrated with the entitlement mentality of some of our patients. But alas, I'm a long way from retirement. Our ICU is not full, but we are holding patients for med-surg beds. If the ICUs become full again they will start cancelling elective cardiac and other big surgeries that will require post-op ICU stays. We haven't done that yet and no current plans.

Thank you for your response and insight, and thank you for your work and efforts during this time; as frustrating as it is.

The nausea and headaches is an interesting change this time around. Also the elevated heart rate, but probably to be expected as the body fights this. The oximeter is a useful tool for sure.

It is incredible the varying physical response from person to person, even in the same household.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well...not officially a "first person" account yet...but getting close.

I picked my daughter up from college last night (Chicago). She works with Campus Safety. Last Weds., she worked in a room with one of the police officers (college has its own sworn police force). He started having symptoms the next day and tested positive. This past Monday, my daughter took the test and, with a stunningly quick turnaround time, she got her positive test results this morning. So far, she is 100% asymptomatic so that's good.

So there I was driving her home for an hour+ last night. She sat in the back of the van, we both wore masks (outside air blowing in my face on purpose). She is living upstairs in the house with her own bathroom. The rest of us are on the main floor. We are distancing as best we can and she is masked when she is not upstairs....but we all see this coming. My wife and I are not too worried. As the evidence shows, the kids will be fine (my older son is the only one with a condition- mild asthma). We are relatively healthy and in our late 40s. I technically have a type II diabetes diagnosis, but I am in the best shape I have been in years having gotten off the carbs, lost a bunch of weight and exercising regularly. I now have a normal A1C.

We were already staying home for Thanksgiving. The only effect is that now, my older son isn't coming home. Good news: one way or the other, we should be through this well before Christmas. My daughter will be good to go in the middle of next week.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    good luck hough!

I talked to a doc last night at work. his daughter is at IU bloomington. she has been tested NINETEEN TIMES by the "random" testing process this semester

absurd

side note: you can buy oxygen concentrators on Amazon. not sure if FDA certified or not. I would not rely on that to keep me out of a hospital entirely. buyer beware

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oxygen+c...prefix=oxygen+concen&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_2_13

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    good luck hough!

I talked to a doc last night at work. his daughter is at IU bloomington. she has been tested NINETEEN TIMES by the "random" testing process this semester

absurd

side note: you can buy oxygen concentrators on Amazon. not sure if FDA certified or not. I would not rely on that to keep me out of a hospital entirely. buyer beware

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oxygen+c...prefix=oxygen+concen&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_2_13

My daughter was tested once about 2 weeks ago randomly.

Thanks.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Currently sitting in the ER waiting to get my wrist patched up. Ran a 3/8 drill bit down to the bone. Felt awesome. But this is the first time I’ve actually seen someone that has covid. Lady came in having some complications but still had to sit in the waiting room. Have to say that it did make me want to be quit a bit more cautious.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Second hand- a friend of mine is in the hospital with COVID. He is about 50-51. I don't know much about his medical history, but he is obese (not enough is made out of this as a complicating factor). He was supposed to get convalescent plasma and some "massive" (his word) steroids today. Looking for an update tonight.

This friend has had a bit of a rough time of it. He developed pneumonia. He also developed delirium. My sister did as well. I have heard of this with several people who have more severe cases. In this case, my friend got out of the hospital bed (he later learned) and took a pretty rough fall. He has been in the hospital a week, but the COVID situation is improving. They are talking about putting him into a rehab facility post-discharge. As I said, he is obese...probably more properly, morbidly obese, and has MS, which contributed to his fall.

But obviously, this is a pretty rare case.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Well, wife tested positive this week. Pretty sure she was infected by a guy hacking up a lung that never correctly wears his mask off at work. (if you're obviously sick... don't go to work and interact with people!). Relatively minor symptoms, stuffy nose (and resultant headache), diarrhea, sleeping more than usual (she needs more than most but this was more than she usually gets), and loss of taste/smell. Exposure was a couple times during the week, symptoms showed up Saturday and were cleared up Monday morning other than taste/smell which were back to normal Thursday (JUST in time for dinner lol). She's more pissed than she was ever sick.

7yo daughter had a runny nose when she got home the last day of school which was better the next day. Then I had it sat-sun but neither of us had any other symptoms so we didn't think any more of it. Last day of school was 2 weeks before my wife felt ill.

VERY thankful it hasn't involved anything else and hoping this is all we get.

Top Bottom