Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I ended up ordering:

PSA complete upper 1:7 Stainless / mid-length gas
    PSA Complete lower w/ Magpul
    PSA Premium BCG
    Bravo Company charging handle
    Primary Arms Micro Red Dot w/ UTG Riser

Seemed to get more for my money than getting the S&W complete rifle.

I think youll be very happy with that rifle once its together. Just invest in a bunch of ammo and mags and go practice with it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I ended up ordering:

PSA Premium BCG

I own, a Colt Match, 1-7, and I shoot everything, through it ..... Grain wise .....

I never shoot steel case .....

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I ended up ordering:

PSA Premium BCG

Hey guys! He took my advice! What do I win?!

On a more serious note, I think you made a great decision. What did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    Hey guys! He took my advice! What do I win?!

On a more serious note, I think you made a great decision. What did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the assist. $688 (includes shipping and 3x30rd mags). That is pretty close to the out-the-door price for a S&W Sport II. For the money though I feel like I got higher quality and more accessories. I paid a little more to get the Bravo Company charging handle, but I liked how it was designed ($40 + free shipping from botach). I also felt the Primary Arms red dot ($89 + $9.99 riser Amazon) was a good compromise between a Bushnell TRS25, Vortex Spitfire, or Eotech from the reviews I read online.

I've got it all in except for the lower. Had a bit of delay from the PSA compliance dept. I had to go get an updated FFL for the dealer I selected (And PSA compliance wasnt exactly fast responding to emails, had to call to get it moving). All is well though.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the assist. $688 (includes shipping and 3x30rd mags). That is pretty close to the out-the-door price for a S&W Sport II. For the money though I feel like I got higher quality and more accessories. I paid a little more to get the Bravo Company charging handle, but I liked how it was designed ($40 + free shipping from botach). I also felt the Primary Arms red dot ($89 + $9.99 riser Amazon) was a good compromise between a Bushnell TRS25, Vortex Spitfire, or Eotech from the reviews I read online.

I've got it all in except for the lower. Had a bit of delay from the PSA compliance dept. I had to go get an updated FFL for the dealer I selected (And PSA compliance wasnt exactly fast responding to emails, had to call to get it moving). All is well though.

That's a great deal! I use those CHs on my two builds and love them. I'm actually thinking about getting one of those red dots as well. I'll be curious to hear how it works!

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I'll be the guy who ignores what you say in your OP and inject my own knowledge. Buy a complete upper, buy a complete lower, and slap the two together.

You could get the Sport II: Champion Firearms | Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II w/ Forward Assist & Dustcover 5.56mm 10202

So $630 for a bare bones AR

Or you could get this upper:

PSA 16" Mid-length Stainless 1:7 Freedom Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle - 482726

Lower:

AR15 Complete MOE Plus Lower - Black - 7779445

BCG:

PSA 5.56 Premium HPT/MPI Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group - No Logo - 39339

And a basic $15 charging handle (PSA is out of stock right now)

That puts your total at $495, plus a rear sight and a mag, so add on another $60 or so. So $555 for a rifle with better furniture, a better gas system, and probably a better barrel.

I was a total novice like you when I bought my 1st AR-15. I went to and spent a decent but not a great deal of time at www.ar-15.com got educated about what makes for a good AR platform and ended up at PSA doing exactly what has been suggested above. The AR-15 platform has been wildly described as the "erector set of rifles" as the sky is literally the limit on aftermarket parts for it. If you go the ar-15.com you will find out what are "must have" items for and entry level AR and help you to make your choice. In any event spending time at AR-15.com's build it yourself board will if nothing else educate you on what makes for a good entry level AR-15.

What I found was for the price of OTC AR-15 like the S&W I could put together a better quality one ordering a upper and lower from PSA. Just my opinion, it's your $$$ do what you think is best.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I ended up ordering:

PSA Premium BCG

Your gonna love it. For reasons I don't think I need to explain, my advice is to buy at least one hi-cap mag EVERY time you go to a place that sells them reasonable like Cabelas.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    If you have not done, I still strongly recommend going to ar-15.com join the site if for no other reason but to read the history of the AR-15 platform of rifles developed in large part by Eugene Stoner. I found the politics surrounding the adoption of the then AR-15 rifle as America's MBR fascinating.

Top Bottom