• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Though I have no personal experience with the M10- as long as you get a factory built model (original Romanian chrome lined barrel) you should be GTG.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Get a WASR. Handle as many as you can and get the one that feels best to you. After a few break in rounds, it'll never let you down.

^This.. My WASR functions like a champ. Or keep an eye on classifieds and try to find a good deal. I picked up a Mak-90 about 3-4 months ago for $550 and it is worth every penny IMO.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My personal opinion here, but if you're only going to have ONE AK, then skip the WASR, spend a little more money, and get either an Arsenal SGL-21, OR get a Saiga and do a conversion.

Again, just my opinion but you really can't beat a real russian AK.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    The Romanian M10 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 may be the new Romanian WASR, as a reliable entry level AK type rifle with a few modern upgrades.

Atlantic Firearms ($539-7.62x39 and $569.00-5.45x39), Classic Arms Inc. ($499.99-7.62x39), and Centerfire Systems ($524.99 for either one) are selling the Romanian M10 Ak type rifles.

I need an 5.45x39 and am looking at the M10 5.45x39 for myself. I really need a folder to match my Saiga 7.62x39 AK. Some of the M10 7.62s were offered as a folder, but I haven't seen this for the 5.45x39 yet.

I have no personal experience with the Romanian M10. Maybe somebody that has one can chime in with a little experience.

Good luck in your AK search.

Last edited:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    My personal opinion here, but if you're only going to have ONE AK, then skip the WASR, spend a little more money, and get either an Arsenal SGL-21, OR get a Saiga and do a conversion.

Again, just my opinion but you really can't beat a real russian AK.

What makes the Arsenals better and more expensive?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the arsenals are better built, or at least a bit nicer. They look better, have better fit and finish, and they are build in Russia, in the same factory/assembly line as the full auto military version AKs.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    An arsenal Sgl-21 is the same rifle as a saiga 132.
    f1asgl2161.jpg
    legizh-132.jpg

Arsenal takes the saiga and does the conversion process for you and puts the gun back to it's originally intended awesomeness. In short, moved/new trigger/guard, bullet guide, hand guard retainer and hand guards, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, and all recoated.

If you plan on having a true to form russian AK then this is the cheapest way to get there. If you plan on having an accurate AK but want your own stock, rails, and hand guard then just convert your own.

SGL 21's used to sell for 520.00 so even if you were going to change everything, it made more sense to just buy a SGL as you couldn't convert/coat the thing for less if you did it all yourself.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    whoops didn't realize the comparo was supposed to be between arsenal and a WASRs....so yeah what clay said!

See the above post to answer your next question though :) (I'm a mind reader)

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Arsenal takes the saiga and does the conversion process for you and puts the gun back to it's originally intended awesomeness. In short, moved/new trigger/guard, bullet guide, hand guard retainer and hand guards, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, and all recoated.

kinda yes, kinda no. There is no evidence that Arsenal actually moves much on the back end. The tell tale rear pins for the trigger aren't there, with no signs they have been welded up, and the trigger hole isn't there either.

There is lots of speculation that these rifles come in country with no rear end hardware, and all that is done is the FSB is installed, and sometimes a folding stock installed.

so in reality, an SGL is closer to a real 100 series AK than a sporter saiga.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    So I went with a converted Saiga for $479 from Classic Arms. They get mostly great reviews and at that price it was almost a wash vs me converting it myself. I'm an AR guy and simply bought this AK because I wanted to learn more about the platform (how to disassemble, clean, how they work, etc...).

Any tips or pointers for me starting out? I'm gonna basically take it apart and clean it and lube it then shoot it. Anything else to worry about before taking to the range?

Top Bottom