Financial literacy required to graduate. All in favor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Indiana House Bill 1414 & Senate Bill 35
    "A new curriculum will be established by the State Board which will include a separate course designed to foster personal financial responsibility. This bill requires public schools to incorporate this new curriculum for its students. Public schools must also certify to DOE that students have completed the personal financial responsibility requirements as described in this bill before a student may graduate. These provisions apply to the 2027 graduation cohort, and every graduation cohort thereafter. The provisions in this bill may represent a workload increase for public schools. If existing staffing and resources are insufficient to implement the requirements of this bill, additional funds and resources could be supplied through existing staff and resources currently being used in another program or with new appropriations. Ultimately, the source of funds and resources required to satisfy the requirements of this bill will depend on state and local action."

This SEEMS too obvious a requirement. Is it a case of "better late than never", "too little too late" or something else going on behind the scenes?
    Cast your vote.
    All in favor, vote yea.
    All opposed vote nay.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Good idea as long as competent people teach it. We had to have a 2 day class on budgeting and balancing a checkbook before I left my AIT in the army.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    Todays kids don’t even know what a checkbook is, much less how to balance one! Everything is electronic. Venmo, PayPal, all those cash apps.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Todays kids don’t even know what a checkbook is, much less how to balance one! Everything is electronic. Venmo, PayPal, all those cash apps.
    I guess that begs the question is the checkbook and balancing even relevant ??? Kinda like your math teacher telling you you’re not gonna have a calculator with you all the time (as I send this message on my calculator)

I am all for school teaching relevant life skills I mean public school is practically raising kids. 8+ hrs a day

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    Maybe not the checkbook, but definitely things like taxes. Watch a kids face when they get their first paycheck. Hilarious! WTF! Where did all my money go? Nobody tells them how bad they get screwed. Every paycheck for the rest of your life….. even that is getting irrelevant. With direct deposit, most people don’t even see a paycheck.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sound's great. Take it out of the time currently wasted on CRT topics and queer nonsense.

I thought I had to take some kind of econ class to graduate, but it's been so long ago that I can't remember if it was actually in high school or CC.

My only concern is that basic financial literacy really doesn't take a whole semester. It can just be part of economics.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A register of what may be pending, in addition to what has already cleared is still relevant even if a "checkbook" is not. As much autopay, etc can be setup, accounting for what one has vs what will be deducted, etc is a good thing.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A register of what may be pending, in addition to what has already cleared is still relevant even if a "checkbook" is not. As much autopay, etc can be setup, accounting for what one has vs what will be deducted, etc is a good thing.
    Nah, the banks will “give” them “autooverdraft“ protection…

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It's a good idea. It would also be nice if teachers want back to actually teaching the subjects instead of looking for every opportunity to indoctrinate the students with their leftist belief system instead. It's happening everywhere. But as I've seen in the recent school board elections, parents don't seem to notice, and the left-wingers continue to get away with it.

Top Bottom