Finally!!! Picked up my SP-01 today and I can't wait to pull the trigger!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Been wanting an SP-01 for nearly a year. Last week I was scouring kygunco.com to see what they had in stock and low and behold... there she was! Picked it up today at the LGS.

o1da.jpg

h85m.jpg

Also took in a couple of 45's on trade about a month ago...

PT 1911...
    izvd.jpg

XDS
    rbj5.jpg

I can't wait for tomorrow so I can take them all out for the first time and run them through the paces.

Family portrait for good measure
    0zqr.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Very nice find. Love the family picture. I really love that badass killer B. You have a very nice collection, sir. Might I suggest you take a look at what cajungunworks has to offer. David, the gunsmith there, can take those CZs to a whole new level. Congrats!

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    My daughters SP01 Shadow has the short reset trigger from the CZ Custom Shop and it is awesome.....look into it if you want to make a great pistol even better. Congrats on the CZ...it is a great gun!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Very nice find. Love the family picture. I really love that badass killer B. You have a very nice collection, sir. Might I suggest you take a look at what cajungunworks has to offer. David, the gunsmith there, can take those CZs to a whole new level. Congrats!

I appreciate that... I've seen all the CGW love on the CZ Forums. I'd hate to ship it off right away though lol. I think I'd like to get the DA down to about 7#s and maybe the SA down to about 3... which it looks like the guys at CGW can do.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    My daughters SP01 Shadow has the short reset trigger from the CZ Custom Shop and it is awesome.....look into it if you want to make a great pistol even better. Congrats on the CZ...it is a great gun!
    Thanks for the suggestion... The long trigger reset was one of the first thing I noticed when I started to dry fire it.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I wanted to pick one up but unfortunately something did not work out, looked everywhere and found some but at ridiculous prices. Congrats on an awesome handgun.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Got my SP-01, XDS and PT1911 to the range today. No formal range report or pics, but they all functioned flawlessly.

My impressions:

PT1911 was acquired used. The trigger was crisp and clean and it shot and functioned just like you'd expect from any other 1911 (that I've ever shot anyway). Not the most refined example of a 1911, but I shot it as well as I can my buddies Sig Nightmare. I definitely want to change out the grips. I'm not much of a fan of that ivory color... in the future I think I'll look into getting it cerakoted to my liking, but I've got more wants than my pocket book can handle at the moment, so I'll have to put that on the backburner.

I've shot a different XDS before, but it had the "other backstrap" on it and didn't quite fit my hand right. After putting on the right backstrap, what I found is that it fits my hand PERFECTLY. It naturally points right on target which IMO is one of the most important qualities a defensive pistol can have. As long as I'm not holding it awkwardly it literally aims itself. I actually fired a couple of groups at 7yds without aiming down the sights and was shocked at how easy it was to hit center mass. The only problem I had was with the 7rd extended magazine. I couldn't get it to feed properly, but it ran flawlessly with the 5rounders which leads me to believe that there is probably something wrong with the magazine. With that said... as long as the XDS proves itself with a couple hundred more rounds it might replace my Rami as my new Concealed carry (provided Springfield gets this recall thing sorted out). Not because I think its superior to my RAMI... but because my fiance went with me and informed me that the RAMI is now her gun :(

The SP-01 was like magic. The trigger could definitely use some work. Its not a bad trigger, but its heavy and long and set a bit far forward. I'm not surprised that everyone who has had custom trigger work done gloats about how much improvement can be had. Other than that, I can't describe how awesome this gun is. The biggest thing that stands out is how little recoil there is and easy it is to make quick and accurate follow up shots. There isn't much muzzle flip to begin with, but the gun instinctively seems to fall right back into proper sight alignment. The gun was literally ready to hit the target again before I was.

I won't kid anyone by saying I'm some kind of expert marksman with a pistol... I can hit a man sized target easy enough at 25yds, but I've got a long way to go before I will be able to put out some of the groups I've seen others shoot. However, at the end of my session I did put up one last target at the 25yd line and loaded 10 rounds into the SP-01. I took aim and shot all 10 shots in quick succession into a 6 inch group without really trying, which surprised me. Now that we've been acquainted, I look forward to taking it back out and really putting it through the paces. If its half as accurate as I think it is, out of the box, I'm really anxious to see what the guys at CGW can do to improve the trigger. Needless to say, I'm one happy gun owner.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    So awesome.

Is that 75b in glossy blue a factory finish?

Its hard to tell in the picture, but its actually High Polished Stainless Steel. My camera and my camera skills just suck lol

Here is a better picture I took when I first got it...

59668794.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom