• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Personal opinion, but I like the cantilever mounts.

I do too on that style of optic.

If he's running a PA, here's a cheap and easy mount that would serve him well.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cantilever-Mount-Aimpoint-Scope-Sight/dp/B002BUF8XG]Amazon.com: AR15 Cantilever Mount for Aimpoint Scope & Sight w/ RIS Rail Top: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Thanks Everyone.

Very nice.

I'd be curious how you like your PA sight once you get some range time. I'm considering that one or the micro on my first build.

As far as the finish it looks great, the dot itself is very bright and clear. I will let you know how it perform ;) If I forgot just shoot me a PM

Looks great! All that for $600? I'd say you did well!

You might want to consider a correct height optic mount, as the one you've currently got is very low and your FSB is blocking most of your window.
    I personally like the way it is sitting. The dot lines up right with the front iron. That being said I may decide my set up sucks when I shoot it, we'll see. Someone mentioned this on another forum also, but a few guys said they werent having any issues.

Good eye Cap'n! Didn't notice til you brought it up. Personal opinion, but I like the cantilever mounts. Gives enough room to run fixed rear sight.

If I dont like the way it shoots, I will look into this. Thanks

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I personally like the way it is sitting. The dot lines up right with the front iron.

When you've got the gun shouldered and you're looking through the optic window, where in the window does the dot/FSP line up? In the top third of the optic window?

I'm afraid that's gonna be all kinds of screwy when you attempt to zero it.

If you didn't have a fixed FSB it wouldn't be as much of a big deal. This is why you'll often see mounts described as "AR height" versus "standard" or "low" height.

Here is what it should look like:

images

Looking forward to your range report!

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Great looking gun

And you did it for Cheap. Great job, i need to stop looking cause i want to start a build bad.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Here is what it should look like:

images

Looking forward to your range report!

Isn't that referred to as lower 1/3 cowitness?

Which is how I have my Spikes midlength upper set.

DFF_0139pw.jpg

This is the OP's

arlevel2.jpg

Not knocking the OP's set up. :D :D

Just trying to help point out the difference. :ingo:

;)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Finally got my AR

Stag Model 1 complete upper New- $200
    Spikes Tactical with minor upgrades New -$180
    Primary Arms Red dot New- $100
    Complete magpul kit New- $100
    PMAG New- $20

Total Cost $600, plus I have a spikes grip and stag handguard to sell

100_0088.jpg

100_0083.jpg

WOW! Nice Job, and cheap too!

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Thanks...now for a noob question: I've read a number of threads here by folks that have built AR's...is there a high level gun smithing expertise required to assemble the components? Are most manufacturers' compatible with other manufacturers'?

The parts of the parts that have to interact with other parts are very standard, all the way back to the early 60's. There are a few special tools for some operations, depending how deep you get, but mostly it's just line stuff up and shove a pin through it kind of thing. Just have to keep the springs under control. Instructional videos abound. It's really pretty easy stuff, and you can get inside the workings and understand them better than just "pull trigger, goes bang", but I'm an engineer rotten to the core, so things like that fascinate me.

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    A way over due report.

Shot the gun weeks ago and it performed flawlessly. Ended up putting the primary arms cantilever mount on it. I liked the look of it flat on the rail, but it functions much better with the mount and the new look is growing on me. Laser bore sighted it last weekend since it was considerably off. First time ever bump firing a rifle, that was awesome to say the least lol.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I just bought a Stag Arms 6H upper for $600, and love it. Where did you get your Stag upper for $200? At that price I would buy a few, and I am sure others here on Ingo would also.

Dave

Top Bottom