• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I went through the big ice storm two years ago down here in southern Indiana. I had a bypass switch on my gas furnace so I could run the blower on my generator. The genny powered the fridge, freezer, internet, lights, coffee maker, and a TV. We had food, heat, water, just no hot showers. Our water heater is electric, if it goes out, I want to replace it with gas. I hate cold showers.

Had plenty of toilet paper, we cooked on a propane grill, and toasty warm most of the time. Shut the genny off at nights to save gasoline. Our power was out for 6 days and I had enough gas stored to get through but was running low by the time the power came back on. We really didnt need that much. Keep plenty of batteries, led headlamps are fantastic. Plenty of candles help with light and add a small amount of heat. Keep your generators chained up, they are noisy and attract theives. If you have to run out for a bit, I would shut it down and lock it up well or hide it.

And could someone tell me why everytime there is a snowstorm, there is a huge run on snowshovels? Do people throw them away in the spring? I have the same one I bought when I lived in Ohio 15 years ago. Never needed to buy another.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Power went out just before 7:00 pm.

I went ahead and hooked up the portable generator and ran extension cords throughout the house. It's a pain but worth it! I now have heat and internet, two essentials!

Some day, I'd love to have an automatic whole-house generator!:yesway:

Update: Power company said it will be Saturday before the power is restored. Will need more gasoline by Thursday evening. I'll be checking the hill portion of the driveway to see if I can get out tomorrow. Otherwise, we're doing fine!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Will need more gasoline by Thursday evening. I'll be checking the hill portion of the driveway to see if I can get out tomorrow.

Yikes!
    How much is more? I have 5 gal in the shed for you.
    That hill might be tough. I can barely stand up on my flat gravel driveway.

Might have to hoof it up there. Didn't think about crampons for SHTF.:xmad:
    Let me know. I can work the bottom end.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Yikes!
    How much is more? I have 5 gal in the shed for you.
    That hill might be tough. I can barely stand up on my flat gravel driveway.

Might have to hoof it up there. Didn't think about crampons for SHTF.:xmad:
    Let me know. I can work the bottom end.

bwframe,

You're one of the great guys I've met on INGO! Always ready to help. Thank you for the offer.

My neighbor is going to a friend's house since his house is without electricity or generator and is getting cold. He gave me a can of his gas. I'll be fine.

Nice to know you've got my back! :yesway:

kadetklapp

shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    West-Central Indiana
    Power went out for two hours last night. figured we'd be dark "for the duration." Went to bed with plans to get up in the morning and bug out to the cabin where we have wood heat. Figured we could get thru the night with the cats keeping us warm. Power came back on about an hour after we went to bed. I was sorta disappointed but I realize how lucky we got.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Power is back on! Whoo-whoo! :)

It was out just under 24 hours and was repaired much more quickly than the power company had predicted! I appreciate the line workers that are out there working right now.

(We're still having steaks for dinner!)

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    [We had food, heat, water, just no hot showers. Our water heater is electric, if it goes out, I want to replace it with gas. I hate cold showers.[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the serious preppers that are total electric with access to generators,
    the 10 & 12 gal. elect. water heaters are 110 volt.

These can easily be plumbed with washing machine hoses to the hot side of the washing machine box. (cold side in, hot side back to the hot)

While it won't make enough hot water for the hot tub, it will allow a quick shower, load of dishes etc.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I made sure I rechaged my flashlights (rechargables) and recharged my AA/AAA batteries. Made sure I had other batteries on hand as I could use those for radios and my emergency lamp.

I went out and got milk and decided to go ahead and get some bottled water, though technically we had plenty to drink for two people.

Had my batteries and inverter ready incase I had to fire up the wood stove. Would have needed those to run the blower.

Since I'm on a well, I filled up a 5 gal. bucket with water for flushing. Would have just filled the tub, but it has a slow leak. Also made plans to use a large plastic container to fill with snow/ice that would be brought inside and melted to again use for flushing.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    For those with generators, can you folks give us some education here?

I wouldn't mind buying one, but I'm not sure if they are worth it or not. Usually they hold a few gallons of gas or so. How long will this last? Does the engine rev similar to a car, where if you need more power, you use more gas, but if you don't need power, it uses less gas?

Since our home we are currently in isn't likely to be our home forever, I'm mostly looking for portable units. In addition, I wouldn't mind some sort of sound muffling cage/bin..do they sell those? My goals with a gen unit would be:

#1: Eventually tie it in to run the well.
    #2: Run the fridge just enough to keep the food good.
    #3: Run a few outlets here and there, but I could just use extension cords and power strips (I know there is a limit/max load).
    #4: Recharge two deep discharge batteries: One is a typical lead-acid battery with caps and water in it, the other is a blue top Optima sealed battery.

I know there are max watts and peak watts. At a minimum, I would want to be able to run my well, run the fridge enough to keep food good, and recharge the batteries. I could always use headlamps, AA/AAA/D Batteries for lighting, radio, etc.. Are the units sold at Sears, Home Depot, Sam's Club, etc. any good? Or is it better to just get a full Honda unit from a dealer? Thanks for any suggestions.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Why the Mountie Mart, of course :rockwoot:

Just make sure you're armed when you go there.

Anyway, last night I brought up two loads of wood (aged two years) and cleaned out the stove at the BOL, which is very near my house. If I lose power, we'll be packing up and head there were we can have heat (wood stove).

Armed ??? At Mountie Mart ??? The roughest customers there are the old farmers sitting at the liars table when I stop in every morning..

And if you see a small red topaz or my Blue F250 Super Duty..stop by and introduce yourself..always good to meet another Ingo'er out in our neck of the woods...:patriot:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I got a call from my partner at work ,that we need to be prepped for all night and next shift(Security) 24 hr kits. The alice pack and dufffel are ready with personal preps, socks, extra dry clothes, food duffel w/ heat up soup, chili, cans of soda(mountain dew and pepsi), water,crackers, cookies, cheese sticks. Wife added apples, bananas, grapes and small jello deserts.

Loaded up and added my 12ga pump shotgun, belt w/25 rds shells, and Taurus 9mm PT92 w/3 -15 rd mags in military belt w/holster,mag case , canteen and case. Kabar knife on belt and mag lite ring for D cell maglite. Cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

Went in for midnights, snowed in for the next 16hrs, plus 2, for the next shift no show. The supervisor called and advised relief was enroute. He arrived about 45 minutes later w/ a Subway bag and couldn't believe my grocery store on the shelf in our store room. I asked if he was ready for minimum 16hrs and he gave me a look like deer do in the headlights! I believe he thought it was a 4-6 hour shift. Left him some stock to back up his 6in subway and cleaned out my car to leave in the blowing blizzard to go home. Got home after an hour ride w/ white outs and drifts. Glad to be home.

Top Bottom