Field Dressing a Deer Gone Wrong (Graphic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I took my boys with me yesterday to field dress a deer for a friend who is not comfortable with the process. I'm not sure but it looked like that elk was hanging, that in itself would put a lot of pressure on things.

I hope that guy drove his own truck! Peee uuuuuu!!!! :patriot: Don

roughthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Huntertown
    He should have started at the ribs and cut down and dumped the entrails before poking around down there. I loved this clip. I have a very weak stomach myself. Usually the 1st deer of the year gets to me then the rest are quick and easy. Last Thursday night I shot a doe and found her at dark. I knew I needed to gut her fast to get her checked in by 9:00. To make a long story short I gutted her in the dark and it took less than 10 minutes and I never yacked. I was suprised at how well I cleaned her out when I got home.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think this is a good example of people who read a book or an internet web site, then went in the field to do it. :popcorn:

I blame his Father. If he had not left the "gutter's" Mother when the guy was young and had taught him how to field dress a critter, this would never have happened.

To anyone who reads this, if your Dad sucks too and you would like to go hunting sometime, my bird dog and I will try to help you out.

I think I would love to learn to gut, dress and skin a deer/kill. My man Indecision and I should come learn how to do this from someone who knows how, we were talking about it, and it would be a very handy thing to know how to do!

This video was hilarious...but I do not want to be covered in elk/my kills fecal matter.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think I would love to learn to gut, dress and skin a deer/kill. My man Indecision and I should come learn how to do this from someone who knows how, we were talking about it, and it would be a very handy thing to know how to do!

This video was hilarious...but I do not want to be covered in elk/my kills fecal matter.

I always start around the anus, break the pelvis and work my way up from there, let everything flow out from the bottom to the top.

He did it wrong :D

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    rofl, that was hilarious. Tell ya what if ya wanna get even with someone and your walking em through the field dressing, that would be a good way to get back at em lol. I wonder how long it had been dead.. it looked fairly bloated.

Lesson learned... never stand in the line of fire :n00b:

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    That's a good reason to carry one of those relatively inexpensive Wyoming knives, they have the short protected blades to slice through the skin without penetrating the peritoneal sac around the intestines. If you search though some western hunting forums, there are a lot of guys who no longer field dress an animal by removing the organs/intestines from the front. If you cut the hide along the spine, and peel it downward past the leg shanks, you can access all the meat, including the tenderloins, without risking penetrating the intestines. You can even get to the consumable organs (by modern standards, at least) by cutting through the ribcage above the guts. You can even keep the hide in good shape this way. You just get a full white patch of soft belly hair instead of a usually jagged cut through the middle of it.

Top Bottom