• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm currently making sauerkraut (day 6) and it's just turning tangy. Also have a big tub of korean kimchi in the fridge. I'm a big fan of both. We use Ohio Stoneware crocks with weights and ferment on the kitchen counter.

What do you guys ferment? What's your favorite? It's certainly a good skill to save money and "just in case." Any recipes we all NEED to try?

And yes, brewing / distilling counts.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    I'm currently making sauerkraut (day 6) and it's just turning tangy. Also have a big tub of korean kimchi in the fridge. I'm a big fan of both. We use Ohio Stoneware crocks with weights and ferment on the kitchen counter.

What do you guys ferment? What's your favorite? It's certainly a good skill to save money and "just in case." Any recipes we all NEED to try?
    I used to work with a guy that made Kimchi.
    He claimed he lived in Korea, and was shown the traditional way to make it. He said he buried it in the ground for a couple months, I think he said.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

Make a lot of our own stuff but have never made sauerkraut mainly because only me and one daughter like it maybe homemade they would come around.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    e624fee772a0568d307aefbb2522863e.jpeg

Fermenting some Hefeweizen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I love me some kimchi. Lately I've been doing more daikon radish than cabbage. I started using these style of lids are mason jars... not this exact brand, but the same style.

lids.PNG

I never use my glass weights anymore. In fact, with this style of air-lock lid, I don't even need to add water. Depending on what I'm fermenting, controlling the amount of liquid up front can really change the finished product. I do cheat a little with my kimchi by using the Kim Chee Mix sold at the international market. I haven't yet tried sauerkraut, as I'm the only one in the house that likes it. I make a little wine from time to time with seasonal fruit. But my recipe for that is nothing special, just a basic jailhouse recipe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cant believe no one has mentioned pickles? I forgot to mention the lacto fermented pickles that are the only pickles I eat for the last few years.

Just had a handful of gerkin sized lacto fermented dill pickles (the last of the 2021's) with cojack cheese cubes, washed down with spicy turkey bone broth. Mmmmm, wonderfully good for you dinner/snack.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I miss my late grandma's sweet pickles.

But I do carry on her recipe in the summer of Cucumbers and Onions. slice them up and put them into a sweetened cider vinegar/water/sugar/salt pepper mix. After 24 hours they are goooooood. last about a week in the fridge.

EDIT: Coincidentally my wife's (also) maternal grandma made the same pickles. Could be because my maternal grandma was also from OH. Anyway, We loved them. After she and her husband passed, the following christmas my inlaws gave me a christmas present of one of the jars of the pickles as a possible gag gift, because we had no date on them. Gag gift it was. Literally. They smelled OK, but were too old and they tasted awful and fell apart in my mouth. I had to run to the kitchen and spit it out. :laugh: We all had a good laugh. It was worth a try.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Cant believe no one has mentioned pickles? I forgot to mention the lacto fermented pickles that are the only pickles I eat for the last few years.

Just had a handful of gerkin sized lacto fermented dill pickles (the last of the 2021's) with cojack cheese cubes, washed down with spicy turkey bone broth. Mmmmm, wonderfully good for you dinner/snack.
    Please for the love of all that is holy don't call it bone broth. It's ****ing stock. Broth is made with meat and/or veg, stock is made with bones. There is no such thing as "bone broth" it's a hipster term.

Reactions: Mij

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Please for the love of all that is holy don't call it bone broth. It's ****ing stock. Broth is made with meat and/or veg, stock is made with bones. There is no such thing as "bone broth" it's a hipster term.
    Coincidentally I just sat down after putting some of that in the fridge to cool. Made a rotisserie chicken tonight and I boiled down the bones and scraps for stock and cat treats. Both cats love the meat I give them thats been boiled off the bones. Even Gizmo my grumpy old guy who doesnt like chewing. He eats the 4 hours boiled meat even though he wont eat table scraps.

Top Bottom