• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am going to drive from Indy to St. Louis tonight with my daughter who is interviewing for a full ride law school scholarship there. The problem is that I have to cross the Communist state of Illinois. I am also visiting the arch while in SL so it just does not make any seance at all to try to carry. I will be leaving my trusty pocket companion that I've been carrying for the last 20 years at home. Damn I hate the idea of being unarmed. I will be sure not to stop or even let my feet touch the ground in that POS state and I will not speed to be sure they do not get any of my money. If I had more time, I would take a different route just to avoid Illinois.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What's the reasoning behind leaving it home?

You CAN transport through Illinois... Then you'd have it in a hotel room + the entire trip.

Traveling THROUGH Illinois isn't any big deal at all.

Also - what about the Gateway Arch makes it a no-go zone?

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

You CAN transport through Illinois... Then you'd have it in a hotel room + the entire trip.

Traveling THROUGH Illinois isn't any big deal at all.

Also - what about the Gateway Arch makes it a no-go zone?

-J-

IIUC, the park around it is fine, but you can't legally carry in the arch itself. Metal detectors are employed. No knives either.

Blessings,
    Bill

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    -J-

I guess I feel that if I can't carry it the way I want to, then I don't want to bother. I will be visiting the campus where I don't think I can carry. I also plan to go up in the arch where carry is not allowed. It just does not seem like it is worth the trouble.

Maybe I will wear an empty holster in protest. I have not traveled anywhere unarmed in years. I will be strange for sure. I feel that interstate highways should be exempt from local gun laws if you are traveling straight through a state with no intention to stop.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am going to drive from Indy to St. Louis tonight with my daughter who is interviewing for a full ride law school scholarship there. The problem is that I have to cross the Communist state of Illinois. I am also visiting the arch while in SL so it just does not make any seance at all to try to carry. I will be leaving my trusty pocket companion that I've been carrying for the last 20 years at home. Damn I hate the idea of being unarmed. I will be sure not to stop or even let my feet touch the ground in that POS state and I will not speed to be sure they do not get any of my money. If I had more time, I would take a different route just to avoid Illinois.

I HATE driving across IL for that very reason. I refuse to spend one dime in that state. Don't leave it home, carry in MO.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Check:http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

for yourself but you can carry in MO. And the college campus is OK too as long as you just lock it in your car:

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the
    governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession
    of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary
    school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or
    brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    When I Travel to the Bullshoals lake I go thru IL but I keep my Kimber in A carry case Untill I get thru IL then I hang it back in the Holster on my Truck Door

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Gun discussions aside, best wishes to your daughter. I have a daughter in law school as well. And once she becomes a lawyer, or perhaps a legislator, she will remember the heritage we instilled.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I drove through IL last week and I feel your pain. The Iron Curtain is there just west of Terre Haute. I was allowed to carry my knife in the Arch, but they checked to see if it was an assisted opening blade. I hated having to take my belt off as well. They acted like the Arch could be hijacked.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I drove through IL last week and I feel your pain. The Iron Curtain is there just west of Terre Haute. I was allowed to carry my knife in the Arch, but they checked to see if it was an assisted opening blade. I hated having to take my belt off as well. They acted like the Arch could be hijacked.
    Assisted opening is illegal in MO?

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Looks like I will never go to the arch in St Louis. I am having trouble with wanting to go back to DC someday and take.my daughter to the museums and such.
    Wishing your daughter good luck!!!

One thing you might do if you have time is to pick up a heavy walking cane. Something like the ones for herding livestock from a farm store. I have one I carry sometimes along with my edc pistol. It can be one hell of a detereant if deadly force is not warranted. If used properly jt can break ribs, pop nuts, break wrists and do a job on a neck as well. I carried one of these with me on my solo trip to DC years ago but I was also ready for bear back at the hotel... I was young, just home from combat, not only unaware of.laws but really didnt think they apploed to me because I felt like a certified badass. Now I know better...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Arch is federal property and has security checkpoints at all entrances. It would not be possible to get a firearm inside UNLESS it's a Glock 7.

NFL games on the other hand... :D

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Gun discussions aside, best wishes to your daughter. I have a daughter in law school as well. And once she becomes a lawyer, or perhaps a legislator, she will remember the heritage we instilled.

I am glad somebody understands what I am going through. Helping a daughter choose a law school is stressful.

I am home in Indiana now.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I know how you feel, I did the Great Lakes Circle (IN/IL/WI/MI) tour last July, left Indy, got to Il border, disassembled, locked up, Glock(s), and ammo, went through Il with one potty break after Chicago, and Re armed at the first rest stop in Wisconsin, rest of vacation was a breeze.

Top Bottom