• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The National Transportation Safety Board also is seeking a ban on hands-free technology in cars.“Hands-free cell phone use causes cognitive distraction,” said Christopher Hart, acting chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, during a press conference announcing the recommendations.
    “We have recommended prohibiting all cell phone use, including hands-free, because a driver’s mind must be on the driving, just as their hands must be on the wheel,” he said.

Let's not forget radios in cars; distraction!, controls for wipers, etc; distraction!, Passengers; distraction!, windows; distraction!

My God, until I read the above statement from Mr Hart I never realized what a distraction driving was. Perhaps they should just outlaw driving also!

Perhaps this will eventually dovetail with a push for self-driving cars?

Also, the only three times I have crashed my drone have been while drinking. Two beers one time (two crashes) and one beer the other time. It doesn't take much to affect coordination and judgement.

+1 Doc. From several occasions where I had one beer at a picnic and was riding my bike, I definitely noticed the erosion of skillset. And since I will push the envelope on two wheels I adopted a no alcohol policy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They can speak for themselves with hands-free phones; when I'm driving that's what takes priority, and I've had people comment that I was speaking like something was wrong, I just say I'm driving and they have to deal with it. I never did the drunk driving thing because I was pretty much where I was going to be, or someone else was driving anyway.

I got one of those breathalysers out of curiosity; there were times I'd develop a pretty good tolerance. The most I ever actually blew was .358, and I was quite coherent, if a bit fuzzy around the edges. I wouldn't feel anything until .15-.18. You'd never know if you didn't know me well. However, I fail as an alcoholic, since when it was time to stop I just... stopped. I can buy m'lady a bottle of wine or whiskey, without so much as a temptation.

As far as the sex, I always divided that into the good kind and the real good kind :@ya:

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Soooooo... hands free is now bad too?

The same people were pushing for hands free in the first place, now they want to stop all use....

The same people are for "reasonable" gun laws too.

Thats the problem with giving in to all these "common sence" laws. It reminds me of the book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie."

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Also, the only three times I have crashed my drone have been while drinking. Two beers one time (two crashes) and one beer the other time. It doesn't take much to affect coordination and judgement.

LOL there you have it, folks. This is the sort of scientific research that is used by voters to take away our liberties.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    But texting and driving is still acceptable even though it kills more people than DUI. This is why we are so jacked up!!!!

Another funny thing is that they want to change the BAC limit that would make an, at best, only incremental increase in the safety factor.

But, the only thing that limits the top design speed of our cars is price. There are more cars designed to exceed 150 mph (several at or over 200) than ever before.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    LOL there you have it, folks. This is the sort of scientific research that is used by voters to take away our liberties.

I would argue that building the case that you shouldn't and building the case that if you do, you are going to get raped unmercifully through your pocket don't necessarily have to go hand in hand. I never drank, so that isn't an experience I can use. I can say that I have seen the day on which I was simultaneously driving, talking on 2 phones, reading a map, writing, and eating without endangering myself or anyone else. Of course, I was in my mid 20s, and not my 40s (my reflexes were a lot better back then) and I was on a ramrod straight, flat section of 65 without anyone else within a country mile of me. I wouldn't have attempted that kind of multitasking going through the middle of Indianapolis the day I did that. Today, I am well aware that my reflexes aren't as good, and I can't handle so much multitasking. I don't do as much because I do not feel certain that I can and I don't need some pointy headed waste of taxpayer money to tell me what I am nor am not capable of doing based on a random sample of anyone and everyone. If I am wrong, I still get put in the hot seat for it. Simple as that.

I have no problem presenting evidence for people to incorporate into their own decision making process. Imposing it when there is nothing standard about a human being is something else entirely.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another funny thing is that they want to change the BAC limit that would make an, at best, only incremental increase in the safety factor.

But, the only thing that limits the top design speed of our cars is price. There are more cars designed to exceed 150 mph (several at or over 200) than ever before.

Oh yes! No one *needs* a 150mph car, just like no one *needs* 'high-capacity' magazines or 'shoulder thingies that go up'. Of course, you may be on to something yet to come. Right now, there is an ongoing push to require commercial vehicles to be speed limited, like they do in Canada at 62mph (not as arbitrary as it sounds given that 62mph is an even 100 km/h and Canada is metric).

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have no problem presenting evidence for people to incorporate into their own decision making process. Imposing it when there is nothing standard about a human being is something else entirely.

Absolutely true. Each of us must do this on a daily basis - and if we do it poorly and hurt a person or property, we must be held accountable.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Have you ever breathalyzed yourself?

You know what, I'd like to back up and elaborate because I just realized that came off as rude and I didn't intend it that way.

Your experience with alcohol is your own and I wasn't trying to say that you're wrong about how it affects you or that your analysis of that is incorrect. I was more trying to say that some folks use that sort of personal anecdote to try to legislate things for the rest of us - whether that be gun rights, drugs, alcohol, etc.

Hope that makes sense and I apologize for being abrasive.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I didN't see it as abrasive, I saw it as you rejecting my experience based on none of your own :):

i do appreciate the thought of your second post though :cheers:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Yes, I do have exactly zero experience with a breathalyzer. And using your own life experience to gauge your limits and proceed safely is certainly the way it should be done.

Unfortunately, people want to use those anecdotal experiences (or lack thereof) to control everybody else - and so we get things like this.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I didN't see it as abrasive, I saw it as you rejecting my experience based on none of your own :):

i do appreciate the thought of your second post though :cheers:

I would have to say that I didn't see it as a matter of him rejecting your experience, but rather not believing that such experience should be expanded from a reasonable admonition to understand how you really are in the sense that part of inebriation generally is the failure to recognize the diminished capacity into the realm of one-size-fits-none law against pre-crime. I do not see your position and his as being mutually exclusive (aside from government intervention). After posting, I also see that he types faster than I do!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    He's just not willing to let your experience be the measure by which everyone else is forced to live. Likewise, using mine would be disastrous.

Top Bottom