• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Brown just dropped off 1000 rounds of Federal XM193 5.56 NATO.

How will this stuff perform in my 16 inch 1:9 twist barrel? Do you like this ammo? If not, what do you like?

By the way, Mr. Brown was asking too many questions about what it was. I just told him I'm raising an army. Let's see if that has repercussions.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

How will this stuff perform in my 16 inch 1:9 twist barrel?

It's 55gr, so it should be fine.

Do you like this ammo? If not, what do you like?

I haven't shot a lot of the current batch (XM193B/C/F/BK/OMGWTFBBQ), but have burnt up quite a bit of no-suffix XM193 without any problems to report. I also like Prvi Partizan, S&B and <gasp> Silver Bear. I have 1600 rounds of current-production XM193 to take to the Magpul carbine course in May, so I'll be able to give a better firsthand review after that. ;)

By the way, Mr. Brown was asking too many questions about what it was. I just told him I'm raising an army. Let's see if that has repercussions.

Mr. Brown already knows it's ammo; the ORM-D sticker and the weight will give that away. My delivery guy knows that I routinely have ammo and other gun-related stuff coming to the house. He has asked shooting-related questions that I am happy to answer, and he has also let slip that there are "a lot" of people in my subdivision getting similar deliveries of late. ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    brown_trix is a "man in brown" and he's also said he knows EXACTLY what he's delivering. . .

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I work for brown (13 years in June), and I'm in the center, if the package gets to me, I have a pretty good idea what you're getting. Don't worry, your secrets safe. It has been helpful to see where stuff is coming from so I can get my own order in! Ammo has died down a bit, but a couple months back, it was pretty crazy. Seen a few powder orders go through lately though!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

How will this stuff perform in my 16 inch 1:9 twist barrel? Do you like this ammo? If not, what do you like?

Depends on what you mean by "perform." And do you have a 5.56mm chamber? Assuming you have a 5.56 chamber and not .223 (for potential excessive pressure problems) . . .

Will it function well? Yep. Will it be reasonably accurate? Yep, but that's also dependent on the gun. Don't expect the kind of accuracy you might get with 68gr or 69gr Black Hills, but you should be able to hit a man-sized target from several hundred yards without trouble.

It's also M193 5.56x45mm spec, not SAAMI .223 remington, so the terminal ballistics will be good within the range where it's going 2600 ft/s or faster.

XM193 and Q3131/Q3131A are pretty much the standards (all M193 spec).

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I found some at the 1500 for $8.99 a box so I picked up a couple hundred more rounds. Most of what I have is XM193. I have yet to have a failure of any kind with it. I normally order mine from Natchez but they have been out when I have checked and yes the price has went up.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    And do you have a 5.56mm chamber? Assuming you have a 5.56 chamber and not .223 (for potential excessive pressure problems) . . .
    This is for my DPMS Panther Sportical, which purports to have a 5.56 chamber, not at .223. I also have a Remington 700 in .223 and I don't plan to put this stuff in it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It's good ammo IMHO. I like Q3131 better (but then again, my rifle chambers it, not me :D Ouch...) The XM193 stuff is hot ammo, big boom on the end. You can definitely tell the difference in the ammo compared to other military stuff (Q3131, Prvi, South African, etc...). It is paralleled only by Hirtenberger in hotness (and maybe Paris Hilton).

Top Bottom