• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

A federal judge in Virginia has struck down federal laws that block the sale of handguns to buyers under the age of 21, ruling they violate constitutional rights to possess firearms.

The ruling would not affect the 19 states that have their own laws barring handgun sales to anyone younger than 21.

"Because the statutes and regulations in question are not consistent with our nation's history and tradition, they, therefore, cannot stand," Payne wrote in his decision.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont

A federal judge in Virginia has struck down federal laws that block the sale of handguns to buyers under the age of 21, ruling they violate constitutional rights to possess firearms.

The ruling would not affect the 19 states that have their own laws barring handgun sales to anyone younger than 21.

"Because the statutes and regulations in question are not consistent with our nation's history and tradition, they, therefore, cannot stand," Payne wrote in his decision.
    Wow, that is a very old provision of the law. I know that I wasn't allowed to buy a pistol until I turned 21 back in the 80s. I guess Bruen decision?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry if a dupe, but this seems like a big 2A win.

Yours was first but now another one has been started in the Legislation of the 2nd Amendment forum. Maybe @d.kaufman or @KellyinAvon can merge them there.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Oh wow, this is a MASSIVE win (assuming it stands.)

I wonder what the odds are of this one going all the way to the supreme court?

Good on this judge; hopefully this stupid restriction will be consigned to the proverbial dustbin of history.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hey, if a five year old can pick their gender, they should be allowed to purchase handguns too.
    Yeah, kind of interesting that some of the same people who believe there should be active parental consent for certain ages to setup a social media account have no issues with kids being able to undertake gender "changes"

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yeah, kind of interesting that some of the same people who believe there should be active parental consent for certain ages to setup a social media account have no issues with kids being able to undertake gender "changes"
    Didn't the State of Washington pass something along this line that parents who 'interfered' with a child's gender choice could be removed...or something along those lines? But the governor didn't or hasn't signed it...yet? Horrible thing to destroy a parent's right to protect their child from wrongful thinking!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Wow, that is a very old provision of the law. I know that I wasn't allowed to buy a pistol until I turned 21 back in the 80s. I guess Bruen decision?
    Age 21 to buy a handgun has been Federal Law since the 1968 Gun Control Act that was enacted after the JFK, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy assassinations during the 1960's. RFK's was the tipping point for Congress. The handgun purchasing age provision was one of several. Possession age was 18. My father had to buy a revolver in the early 1970's for me to use at a job requiring one in the early 1970's.

That 4" Ruger Security Six was a nice .357 Magnum. It's the one I used to learn handling and shooting a handgun. Reloaded my own .357 Magnum cartridges with 158 grain half copper jacketed hollow points and Hercules 2400 Rifle Powder. IIRC it was 15 grains and gave a load similar to Elmer Keith's original.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Age 21 to buy a handgun has been Federal Law since the 1968 Gun Control Act that was enacted after the JFK, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy assassinations during the 1960's. ...

In spite of the fact all the assassins were over 21 - so this provision of the GCA is completely irrelevant to the incidents that sparked it's adoption. Seems like we see again, and again, politicos using situations to pass whatever they want whether it's germane or not, whether it addresses the issue or not. Give 'em an inch, they take a mile.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    In spite of the fact all the assassins were over 21 - so this provision of the GCA is completely irrelevant to the incidents that sparked it's adoption.
    Notwithstanding that fact, Federal voting age in 1968 was 21, as was the voting and drinking age in nearly all states (if not all of them). Thus the age of 21 for handguns wasn't perceived as onerous by many 2A advocates in 1968; not like it is now. I'm glad to see it's headed for the rubbish heap, but am not surprised it's taken this long to get it onto the landfill exit ramp.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Notwithstanding that fact, Federal voting age in 1968 was 21, as was the voting and drinking age in nearly all states (if not all of them). Thus the age of 21 for handguns wasn't perceived as onerous by many 2A advocates in 1968; not like it is now. I'm glad to see it's headed for the rubbish heap, but am not surprised it's taken this long to get it onto the landfill exit ramp.
    I recall drinking age changing in most States was in and around 1984, believe the Feds held up highway funding with States that didn't comply.
    I was 18 in 1976.
    With one being 18 you could drink all alcohol, beer wine or liquor in Md up to 1982.

Top Bottom