• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Now that I have such an appreciation for history and black powder…. This festival in Lafayette was very enjoyable still going on tomorrow also. Just figured I would spread the word in case you didn’t know about it or forgot. Was a great time for the family today. Only complaint…. Same as every venue I go to long food lines lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Great trip by river. Park, put in at Happy Hollow ramp, fish your way there.
    :bacondance:

No traffic, come n go as you please.
    When did they start allowing that again?
    Last I knew, you would get run off if you tried that.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Fond memories of this festival back in the early nineties.
    I distinctly remember a woman stirring a cauldron of Brunswick stew. Had to have a bowl of that.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I started going in the early 80s... it has been a looong time since I have been able to go. I miss the pipes... and the forfar bridies.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    When did they start allowing that again?
    Last I knew, you would get run off if you tried that.
    I don’t have a clue what you mean. But I’m sure there has been many changes. The ramp at the end of Happy Hollow has been a safe/free put in for my lifetime. The Wabash is a public river. The ramp at the fort is/was always open to the public. Maybe things are different now and I am unaware, certainly not my intention to misguide or misinform anyone.

We used to follow the Voyageurs, at a safe distance of course to their arrival at the fort. Then put in up or down stream to watch the ceremony. Like I say there may have been some changes.

So, guess maybe some inquiries may be in order.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don’t have a clue what you mean. But I’m sure there has been many changes. The ramp at the end of Happy Hollow has been a safe/free put in for my lifetime. The Wabash is a public river. The ramp at the fort is/was always open to the public. Maybe things are different now and I am unaware, certainly not my intention to misguide or misinform anyone.

We used to follow the Voyageurs, at a safe distance of course to their arrival at the fort. Then put in up or down stream to watch the ceremony. Like I say there may have been some changes.

So, guess maybe some inquiries may be in order.
    More than 30 years ago they started turning away anyone who arrived by river.
    They claimed it was because they couldn't collect entry fees, which is bull...
    Things may very well have changed, but the last time I knew, the "public ramp" at the fort was closed to the public for the Feast.

Mij

Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    More than 30 years ago they started turning away anyone who arrived by river.
    They claimed it was because they couldn't collect entry fees, which is bull...
    Things may very well have changed, but the last time I knew, the "public ramp" at the fort was closed to the public for the Feast.
    WOW, sure didn’t know that. Guess that dates me. Sorry for the confusion. And what a shame to take away from family’s a healthy good outdoor experience all for the sake of the .gov getting their nickel out of it. D*** that makes me mad as I think about it.

In the day my Local, Building and Trades, set up a concession I was part of it. Dressed the part and everything. For a few yrs. I set up my own blanket trading Tee-Pee, trading furs. All the money from each site fee went to Tipp. Co. Historical Society. It was their major funding source.

Man times are changing, guess I’m what they call “out of the loop” now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    WOW, sure didn’t know that. Guess that dates me. Sorry for the confusion. And what a shame to take away from family’s a healthy good outdoor experience all for the sake of the .gov getting their nickel out of it. D*** that makes me mad as I think about it.

In the day my Local, Building and Trades, set up a concession I was part of it. Dressed the part and everything. For a few yrs. I set up my own blanket trading Tee-Pee, trading furs. All the money from each site fee went to Tipp. Co. Historical Society. It was their major funding source.

Man times are changing, guess I’m what they call “out of the loop” now.
    I quit going decades ago because of the crap and crowds.
    Entirely too much traffic to deal with, and no alternative routes.

Reactions: Mij

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Yes, and no side roads to speak of, that cut traffic time.
    The whole thing has been commercialized to the point that it is no longer of any interest to me.
    I agree it is definitely very busy but that made me happy. I hate crowds and all of that also BUT I loved seeing so many kids to “carry the torch” normally when I go to these things everyone is over 60 and no one to take over. So I will deal with a little congestion and traffic to support people that are going to carry on the tradition.

Reactions: Mij

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I feel like I have missed the good ol’ days but I am doing the best I can to support these things and have my family see and experience this stuff. We are looking for civil war re-enactments also……. But the common theme is either “no longer operating” or short on volunteers.

So I guess even if it isn’t what it once was…. It’s better than my kids having their face in a phone. I think history is worth saving.

Mij

Site Supporter
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yes, and no side roads to speak of, that cut traffic time.
    The whole thing has been commercialized to the point that it is no longer of any interest to me.

That’s a dag gum shame, used to be one of the hi-lights of my year. Pre new hi-way. Fun for families and locals, reenactors, traders, history buffs. Loved the cannons.

l do remember a large TCSD presence at one of my last. Presumably for traffic control. Sorry for you.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I feel like I have missed the good ol’ days but I am doing the best I can to support these things and have my family see and experience this stuff. We are looking for civil war re-enactments also……. But the common theme is either “no longer operating” or short on volunteers.

So I guess even if it isn’t what it once was…. It’s better than my kids having their face in a phone. I think history is worth saving.
    Don't get me wrong.
    I enjoyed the feast every time I went, but the minuses finally outweighed the pluses for me.
    It was always educational, and entertaining.
    At one time, I worked with a guy who sold his home-made knives at the feast every year.

Top Bottom