• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is we are talking for guns chambered in 5.56 I would say my favorite alternative would be the FN FNC. It's a pretty unique and interesting firearm and is kinda rare to see so I've always found them to be kinda cool. I still like ARs more than the FNC but this is still definitely a cool rifle.

View attachment 199036

If we are talking rifles outside of 5.56, I think AKs in 5.45 are pretty alright. Once again, I would still prefer the AR platform though. I'd also dip into the battle rifle territory. I definitely love the FN SCAR-17, FN FAL, and G-3. All pretty cool rifles. The only real thing about the FN SCAR-17 that I'm not a huge fan of is that it has a reciprocating charging handle, but there are kits to make them non reciprocating. I like that the SCAR is relatively light for being a battle rifle and supports quite a bit of modularity, the only downside is like a lot of battle rifles, you'll probably looking at over 3k for one. Ouch.

FNC was solid. Did not like the tiny sights, but solid gun.

Bought 2 in high school. Sold fixed stock when came back from Chicago (needed maintenance money, you know, like food and stuff) and traded my folding stock one in October 2004 for 3 Colt AR-15s (AR-15A3s, M6720), a Smith revolver and ammo to an SOT in St. Louis.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Hey all, have a general question for you fine folks: what is your favorite AR alternative? I have no hate for ARs, they are great weapons and I've owned a couple over the years, but they've never been my favorite way to throw .223/5.56 lead downrange; for me, that will always be a Ruger Mini 14 (I'm on the hunt for one now). I know in a lot of ways it's objectively not as good as an AR, but man, do I love the way they look and hold. So, I'm curious, what are your favorites, and why do you prefer them over an AR?
    That’s a tuff question. But I’ll give my answer since you asked. Depending on your objective if you just want to send a lot of lead down range, I choose the sks in .39. Ugly I know, mine is chek built and unstoppable. Accuracy is lacking but I believe it will keep some heads down. For accuracy of the .223 rounds their are too many to mention. I like my old hvy bbl hr single shot for sub MOA on the .223. My opinion only. Good luck on whatever you choos.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Probably an AK. Even with a quality AK being about the same price or slightly more than an equal AR, I'd still pick the AK just because I'm too lazy to clean the AR gas system.

Only problem is .223 ak mags are a pain to find and pay for.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I saw some talk earlier about the Kel Tec SU16. Any SU16 owners here to share experiences?

I’ve thought about buying their CA model a time or two. Nutnfancy gave it a great review.
    CB8D4E6F-6AD0-4F1B-A8DD-DFD410878C40.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I saw some talk earlier about the Kel Tec SU16. Any SU16 owners here to share experiences?

I’ve thought about buying their CA model a time or two. Nutnfancy gave it a great review.
    View attachment 205868
    My nephew has one he loves it for a backpack gun. It's not the most accurate but it's within 4 moa which is plenty good for that purpose.

Accuracy could be from using m193 which is pretty much 4 moa accurate anyway. If he spent the time and money I bet he could find a round it likes.

Brownbyhonor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Hey all, have a general question for you fine folks: what is your favorite AR alternative? I have no hate for ARs, they are great weapons and I've owned a couple over the years, but they've never been my favorite way to throw .223/5.56 lead downrange; for me, that will always be a Ruger Mini 14 (I'm on the hunt for one now). I know in a lot of ways it's objectively not as good as an AR, but man, do I love the way they look and hold. So, I'm curious, what are your favorites, and why do you prefer them over an AR?
    Call me crazy....but I'm in love with my AK-47 variants! I really like the Norinco versions. I have an NHM 91 and a MAK90.

Don't get me wrong...I love my ARs! But something about here the internal mechanics move on an AK when you fire them 20220611_150710.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Back to the question in the op.

My favorite go to gun Is my Marlin camp .45. I know someone will say that a PCC is not an alternative to a rifle.

I have a rifle for long range shooting (see above).

My PCC it will fit 99% of the SHTF situations. Along with my 1911, a plethora of magazines, rifle and 12 ga.

PS. @Ggreen @wcd wasn't spoiling for an argument. She simply stated that her mini14 was her favorite goto and the one that she handles best.

Top Bottom