• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am sure details can't be shared in any manner but I want to ask those in the know what would keep details from being shared about a fatal wreck from immediate family and such?

I will say the wreck in question happened within the past week, west side.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Just a guess, but maybe the investigation isn't complete and they are waiting for all the details to be figured out
    Another option is protecting the integrity of the evidence. There may be certain details that would only be known to those involved. If they become common knowledge, then it’s hard to corroborate that information.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From the family? The family of the victim of the wreck?

My guess is either they don’t know or they just don’t want to talk about it yet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another option is protecting the integrity of the evidence. There may be certain details that would only be known to those involved. If they become common knowledge, then it’s hard to corroborate that information.
    From the family? The family of the victim of the wreck?

My guess is either they don’t know or they just don’t want to talk about it yet.
    And even if they only told the immediate family of the victim, there is no guarantee (especially in today's connected society) that it wont make it out into the public domain, causing problems for investigators.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think he was talking about information being kept from the family by officials.
    Yes. 30 years ago they could tell the parents in strictest confidence what happened and ask them to keep it private to not hinder the investigation. And it would probably not get out.

Today? Not a chance. within 24 hours it will be on FB and all things social. Maybe not from the parents, but when they inevitably share it with a sibling, or a cousin, aunt, etc. I will end up on social media.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes. 30 years ago they could tell the parents in strictest confidence what happened and ask them to keep it private to not hinder the investigation. And it would probably not get out.

Today? Not a chance. within 24 hours it will be on FB and all things social. Maybe not from the parents, but when they inevitably share it with a sibling, or a cousin, aunt, etc. I will end up on social media.
    That makes sense. But it also seems to conflict with the whole "see something, say something" thing. I guess you just have to "say something" to the right people (police).

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Toxicology tests?

Protected person involved?

Possible involved party should be incarcerated, yet not?
    Yeah, it really depends on what is being withheld. Toxicology can take anywhere from a day or two for alcohol up to more than a year for drugs. Getting a search warrant and retrieving info from the event data recorder could also be involved. Or they’re just protecting the evidence they already have.

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I am sure details can't be shared in any manner but I want to ask those in the know what would keep details from being shared about a fatal wreck from immediate family and such?

I will say the wreck in question happened within the past week, west side.
    Friend had a similar situation near Bloomington. Police said the coroner was part time so it was going to take longer for the autopsy.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Warrants for modules, physical reconstruction, medical subpoenas, coroner findings, and toxicological results all take a good bit of time, and they aren't always in obvious agreement. Then you might have several investigations happening in a narrow timeframe, putting the investigator underwater.

30 to 90 days is not unusual, and advanced toxicology can add another 90.

As for findings, police usually have a preliminary release which states what anyone looking at the scene could see and then little to nothing additional until the final report is completed.

Top Bottom