May 15, 2008
    Howard County

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    Full story here: Deputy Says He Caught Suspected Impersonator In Act - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

This guy got caught pulling somebody over by a real Deputy. When the Deputy tried to assist him he stated he was "DEA". A very interesting story to say the least.

Remember in order for the Police to make a stop they must be either in Uniform or in a marked police car. Civilian clothes and unmarked car is not a legal stop.

It was pretty stupid of him to be playing cop and pulling people over in Kokomo, unemployment is sky high here and everyone is in a bad mood. The guy in the mustang could just as easily been a disgruntled, fired Delphi employee with nothing to loose.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I read the topic title, I thought, "Aren't all DEA agents 'fake' anyway?"

And along the lines, if the DEA did not exist (which it should not, along with a variety of other administrations and agencies, but I digress), people couldn't pretend to be one of them. :D

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    When I read the topic title, I thought, "Aren't all DEA agents 'fake' anyway?"

And along the lines, if the DEA did not exist (which it should not, along with a variety of other administrations and agencies, but I digress), people couldn't pretend to be one of them. :D

+1

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    It might be a case of 'road rage' that police believe led the 'DEA' guy pulling over the Mustang.It wasn't the first time for this guy as he had a full set-up of police type lights and weapons in the vehicle at the time of the stop i.e. red/blue flashing lights,siren box,wig-wag headlights,shotgun in a police type mount,rifle in the back in a law enforcement lock box,etc. It was very apparent he had been playing po-po for quite some time.There are other factors playing out that hasn't made the press yet.

I agree with PDG45ACP as the economy sux in Kokomo right now!

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This subject begs the question "what to do if in doubt"?

I pull over for the police. more than once I have been pulled over in a charger for questions of legality. Documentation and the right attitude are my solutions to that.

But what if? My gf is wanting to know is why I ask.

Drive slow to a police station? Wait until a marked, lit, uniformed cop shows up?

She is a smart Gal, not easy to intimidate. However, anything wrong with the logic of "it's tougher to be a victim while you are in your car moving"?

Playing police when not is some serious stuff. Too bad we can't just let the real cops have him.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They'll never charge me - I'm now FBI!!! :): Seriously, kinda makes you wonder what would happen if it happened to you. I live in Kokomo, and I'm glad I didn't have to deal with this.

My wife and I were talking about this and I told her that this situation changed my mind about volunteering to a police officer if I was armed. If I would have been the guy he pulled over, most likely, I would have had my gun confiscated the the "DEA". That's the best case scenario.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    This subject begs the question "what to do if in doubt"?

I pull over for the police. more than once I have been pulled over in a charger for questions of legality. Documentation and the right attitude are my solutions to that.

But what if? My gf is wanting to know is why I ask.

Drive slow to a police station? Wait until a marked, lit, uniformed cop shows up?

She is a smart Gal, not easy to intimidate. However, anything wrong with the logic of "it's tougher to be a victim while you are in your car moving"?

Playing police when not is some serious stuff. Too bad we can't just let the real cops have him.

Unless things have changed, police in Indiana are not supposed to pull you over unless they are in a marked car (with or without uniform) or in uniform (with or without being in a marked car). So... uniform or marked car or both. If they don't meet-up with that criteria, you are within your rights to respectfully request a uniformed officer to join you at the location of the stop.

Perhaps there's an LEO that can verify that?? :dunno:
    :cheers:

Last edited:

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    A LEO in Indiana to lawfully pull you over has to either be in uniform (any type of car marked or unmarked) or in a marcked police car (any type of clothes uniform or civilian.) If you are pulled over by an unmarked civillian clothed person dial 911. Dispatch should be able to tell you if you are on a ligitamite stop. All the situations I can recall of hearing an off-duty LEO in there pov dealing with say a possible DUI or say an Amber Alert always waits for a marked unit to take any type of action.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Yep, still the same.

IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18.

Note that this law is under Title 9, and applies specifically to stops for traffic offenses. A plainclothes officer in an unmarked vehicle MAY make a vehicle stop for a criminal offense that is unrelated to the traffic code (ie: stopping a burglary suspect, etc.). However, practically speaking, this is rarely done. Plainclothes detectives routinely call for a marked unit to assist them in making a vehicle stop, to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the verification!!!! :rockwoot: :yesway: :patriot:

:cheers:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if the phony DEA/cop disarmed people for "their safety."

Kinda makes it seem like a really bad idea even if there is just one imposter.

Top Bottom