• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    So one of the Xmas gifts I got from my lovely wife was a printout of the "Mac" page on the Apple website. Not knowing which one to buy, she just left that up to me. I've read positive reviews of the new M1 Macs, from the Air to the 24" iMac (why no big screen yet???), but I haven't spoken to anyone personally or heard from anyone outside of the tech world. I've been using the same 27" iMac since 2011 (!!!) and it has performed flawlessly, hardware-wise, without a need for servicing. I mean, this thing still has it's original HD for Pete's sake. I added an SSD a long time ago as the boot drive, but still use the original HD for media storage. I added more RAM shortly after purchase too, but that's it. And I have beat this thing like a red-headed stepchild in terms of workload. Heaps and heaps of photo and video processing, in addition to home network management, coding, and all the other typical computer uses. It was even the family TV for a while when we were "between houses" and renting until we found our current digs. The point of all that is that after 30 years of countless PCs etc. before I got the Mac, Apple has impressed me enough that I'm looking to them first (my wife's 2009 Macbook Pro is still a daily driver as well.) But after 11 years, I'm overdue for enjoying the processing power of something new, especially for video, and semi-retire this workhorse to kids' schoolwork duties. I'd like to read some personal experiences.

And yes, I'm well aware of the corporate woke ideologies, pink politics and Tim Cook's elitist know-it-all BS, also that most everything is made in China. Those are topics for a different discussion.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    I'm not a Mac guy by any stretch, but I've dealt with a few at work. We've had a few people order the new higher-end Macs with the M1 chip, and I haven't heard any complaints.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I pinged someone I know who does a lot of production work on a Mac, his reply was as follows

"New M1 chips are the first improvements in many many years that are actually significant, there are 3 different versions, however and many apps don't run on them still or require Rosetta which is asking for trouble and as slow as regular chip probably. Way too many audio apps won't work so I can't buy and have been waiting over a year with no hope in sight. If the apps you use are supported they will probably be 30% faster depending on the chip version you get, but if you are doing heavy photoshop and video editing or 3D work wait a while longer, upgrading now would just be frustration"

Top Bottom