• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    there are alot of knife users on INGO. there are alot of people who have used knives. these are two different groups.

knife users: typically have a knife or two they use or have used. this is their experience level. they know what they know based on that experience. usually well meaning, their evalution ability is limitied due to limitied experience with designs/types/brands ect. knife users are always quick to reccomend whatever THEY use, for the simple fact it works for them. to a hammer, everything is a nail.

people who have used knives: this group has a deeper experience pool. not to say they are more intelligent than a knife user, but that they have more experience with different designs/types/brands. more time on task with a larger cross section of blades. this group can be subdivided into fanboys, haters, and the unbiased. everyone falls into EACH of these catagories at some point. its the job of the person asking the question to seperate which group is speaking at what time. when asking for opinions, people who have used knives typically give answers based on intended use and personal preference for that task. followed directly by "favorite brand". to a screwdriver, everything is a screw. but is it a slotted screw? phillips? a deck screw maybe... how about a torx? maybe its not really a screw but a bolt............

there is another group which is always around, and its the Interninja. the guys/gals who never use knives, or handle knives, or do anything other than cruise the internet reading what others SAY about knives. EVERY board has them. they parrot what they have heard, and face it as fact. you can usually spot them fairly easily.

in the end experience wins the day. if you only have HEARD about HiPoints crappy firearms, but never used one, you are in the final group. if all you have shot are comp guns and shot a hipoint once, you are in the first group. if you have owned and shot hipoints on multipule occasions, you are in the second group. you must weigh each item on its own merits.... but that doesn't mean you can't go fanboy or hater at any moment.......... :D

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    there are alot of knife users on INGO. there are alot of people who have used knives. these are two different groups.

knife users: typically have a knife or two they use or have used. this is their experience level. they know what they know based on that experience. usually well meaning, their evalution ability is limitied due to limitied experience with designs/types/brands ect. knife users are always quick to reccomend whatever THEY use, for the simple fact it works for them. to a hammer, everything is a nail.

people who have used knives: this group has a deeper experience pool. not to say they are more intelligent than a knife user, but that they have more experience with different designs/types/brands. more time on task with a larger cross section of blades. this group can be subdivided into fanboys, haters, and the unbiased. everyone falls into EACH of these catagories at some point. its the job of the person asking the question to seperate which group is speaking at what time. when asking for opinions, people who have used knives typically give answers based on intended use and personal preference for that task. followed directly by "favorite brand". to a screwdriver, everything is a screw. but is it a slotted screw? phillips? a deck screw maybe... how about a torx? maybe its not really a screw but a bolt............

there is another group which is always around, and its the Interninja. the guys/gals who never use knives, or handle knives, or do anything other than cruise the internet reading what others SAY about knives. EVERY board has them. they parrot what they have heard, and face it as fact. you can usually spot them fairly easily.

in the end experience wins the day. if you only have HEARD about HiPoints crappy firearms, but never used one, you are in the final group. if all you have shot are comp guns and shot a hipoint once, you are in the first group. if you have owned and shot hipoints on multipule occasions, you are in the second group. you must weigh each item on its own merits.... but that doesn't mean you can't go fanboy or hater at any moment.......... :D
    I see nothing wrong with a typical "knife user" who only has a few knives giving their opinions and recomendations as to what they have tried and what has worked out good for them. I don't put any less value on their referrals as I would on a high end knife snobs. I would agree though that baseing a purchase on something that someone has only seen or heard about through second hand sources and has no experience in actual owning and useing the item does not usually turn out to be the best way to go and I would'nt buy something solely based on that alone.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I see nothing wrong with a typical "knife user" who only has a few knives giving their opinions and recomendations as to what they have tried and what has worked out good for them. I don't put any less value on their referrals as I would on a high end knife snobs. I would agree though that baseing a purchase on something that someone has only seen or heard about through second hand sources and has no experience in actual owning and useing the item does not usually turn out to be the best way to go and I would'nt buy something solely based on that alone.

exactly. which is why you have to understand where the facts and opinions are coming from. there is absolutely nothing wrong with a knife owner weighing in on their knives. its when you have knife owners who attempt to answer questions on blades they have no experience with that it gets confusing. or interninjas bringing their "experience" to bear in a conversation.

if a knife user would post a comment about how the knife performs doing certain things, than it most likely happens like that. if a person who has used knives posts their experience, it most likely happened like that (barring fanboy or haterism). if a person who has never used that knife, or anything similiar, posts about the praises or short coming of a particular knife, then you are only getting hearsay.

knife USERS typically hold their EDCs in VERY high esteem. as well they should, if they are carrying it everyday amd using it. but a user must understand, that just because they carry and use that knife, does not mean there is better out there. it just means that that is the one they have choosen. a person who has used knives is more likely to bring OTHER brands and styles into a discussion. not be heart set on one paticular knife/maker/style from the word go.

on the same front, a person who uses knives cannot dismiss a knife users opinion because they consider themselves more knife savy. knife users typically FIND ways to make their EDCs work for them. in ways a typical person who uses knives might not. its all about perspective.

neither is wrong right out of the gate, and no one should assume that. its when emotion comes into play that things go from supportive data to opinion. being a person who uses knives does not make them instantly right. i've seen people who know better say blatantly WRONG things to try to "help" or hinder a person's decision. "such and such is so much stronger!" when the two items are of the same strength.

you have to understand the person to understand the opinions.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Cubby, please tell me you don't own Hipoints. Because if you do, well honestly, that brings in to question ALL of your knife knowledge.

I would add a Knife user may be cautious and methodical and makes informed choices so he does not need a lot of knives.

The second group needs a more definitve title. Maybe Knife Wrangler. Knife Wranglers have more scars.

You have not done it yourself, don't post it. People who know me know one of my favorite jokes is "I read it on the internet" Back in the old days it was "I read it in a book."

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Cubby, please tell me you don't own Hipoints. Because if you do, well honestly, that brings in to question ALL of your knife knowledge.

I would add a Knife user may be cautious and methodical and makes informed choices so he does not need a lot of knives.

The second group needs a more definitve title. Maybe Knife Wrangler. Knife Wranglers have more scars.

You have not done it yourself, don't post it. People who know me know one of my favorite jokes is "I read it on the internet" Back in the old days it was "I read it in a book."

i HAVE owned hipoints in the long ago past.... loooong ago. so any knowledge i produce on that subject is dated circa 1999......

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    This is why, when weighing in on a topic with one of my own opinions, I'm quick to indicate my experience level relative to the topic at hand. Which is almost always pretty low :):

Agree completely with OP.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I agree with your statements. Maybe that's why my post counts so much lower than some that have been around as long as myself.
    BTW, read my sig. line for how I really feel

Bob

Top Bottom