• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    ISP's seem to be the ultimate crony capitalists.
    You're a Libertarian, right? Please explain to me what is wrong with this in your philosophy. The ISPs want the ability to determine how their services are rendered and apportioned. I'm not Libertarian bashing, I'm asking you a legitimate question on your philosophy. If you aren't a Libertarian there are others here who can feel free to answer the question.

I like net neutrality.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have Exede satellite internet.It is the only option for high speed in our area.Thanks to failed negotiations we have lost a few websites.Yahoo for example will not load at all.The service for most websites is great and we can stream videos with no trouble,but try to load Yahoo's front page forget about it.The speed difference in site loading is amazing.For example FOX loads at double the speed of CNN or Bloomberg.
    Having felt the effects first hand I see the throttling of websites as the ultimate tool for censorship.If the ISP in question is liberal why not throttle all conservative sites and it will work the other way as in our case.It is already happening.No need to censor the net,just limit the speed of those you do not politically agree with.It is already reality.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    It's simple really. Call your ISP and tell them that you want to cancel your service. Then actually do it.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    You're a Libertarian, right? Please explain to me what is wrong with this in your philosophy. The ISPs want the ability to determine how their services are rendered and apportioned. I'm not Libertarian bashing, I'm asking you a legitimate question on your philosophy. If you aren't a Libertarian there are others here who can feel free to answer the question.

I like net neutrality.

I think the problem is that they used tax payer money and government favors to lay all that cable. If they had bought or negotiated all the land rights and infrastructure with their own money then it would just be the free market doing its thing. However, the government has irreversibly affected the market.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I think the problem is that they used tax payer money and government favors to lay all that cable. If they had bought or negotiated all the land rights and infrastructure with their own money then it would just be the free market doing its thing. However, the government has irreversibly affected the market.

This is pretty much my problem with it. ISP's have built gigantic, non-competitive empires by using public property. Property that no competing providers have access to - the ISP's get exclusive contracts through the government.

Competing internet providers would have to run their own wires through private property in order to enter the market. This would be monumentally expensive - and not feasible for a start-up when its prices would have to compete with a gazillion dollar ISP using a government-subsidized infrastructure to provide the same service.

This is why there is no competition. Most places have one cable provider and one dsl provider - these don't usually directly compete because the technology and service is so different.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The US is ranked 9th in the world in speed of connection, but is near the top in price.

In South Korea, connection speeds are as much as 200 times faster than in the US at just over half the price.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The same damn idiots who tried to push SOPA are getting together to put an end to net neutrality. Last time enough people banged their pots and pans together and shamed the politicians and it went away on its own. Well, those same fools still have jobs. They will try and try again to control your web access in some form or another.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Internet should be free access throughout the country, and wirelessly.

I will pass.Where we live there is not even cell signal and I am perfectly happy.I do not need wireless internet either.I guess technically I am wireless though as this is a satellite connection,but will pass on any wi-fi network.

Top Bottom