• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I know well and understand that gun rights and gun ownership is under attack from many groups. I was just reading about the proposed UN Small Arms Treaty the Hilary Clinton and our beloved president and probably a majority of our senators will support and ratify. Hopefully, they will not get the necessary 67 senators to vote for a UN international treaty that would impact domestic gun rights and ownership. The politician who was responsible for the article in trying to organize the effort to stop this gun-grabbing effort had my complete attention until I got to the part where he wanted $100, $250, $500 or more for me to sign my name on a petition. Every time I turn around, I get a letter from the NRA wanting me to give large sums to this cause or that cause. Do not get me wrong. They all sound like good causes, but things are tight around my place and I just do not have the money to fork over for every good cause that comes my way. Am I just being a tightwad or is there anyone else out there who wonders if all of the donations actually go to the cause or to supporting a staff of workers who could not care less about the causes for which they are working? Some of these people act like there is not a recession going on around here and many of us just do not have the money to be supporting all of these good causes. I wonder if he would let me sign the petition for free.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I donated $25 not long ago to a campaign, and I swear they have spent every penny of it trying to get more money from me. Not too smart.

And yes, I am a tight-wad. (That's how my mortgage got paid-off so quickly).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I made the comment to my wife the other day that it appears that more and more "charities" are popping up and asking for money. My email is full of donation requests, there are car washes at every drug store every weekend, and folks begging for money at every intersection.

I *DO* give to charity and to the causes I believe in, but man, this is crazy. When EVERYBODY wants money, it just dilutes the pool, and NOBODY gets money.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I donated $25 not long ago to a campaign, and I swear they have spent every penny of it trying to get more money from me. Not too smart.

And yes, I am a tight-wad. (That's how my mortgage got paid-off so quickly).
    A huge chunk of fundraising goes right back into the kitty to do more fundraising. I saw this years ago, while paying seriously close attention to a political campaign. Only a percentage went for advertising the actual campaign. Organisations do exactly the same thing. That's why so few ever get any funding from me.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    A huge chunk of fundraising goes right back into the kitty to do more fundraising. I saw this years ago, while paying seriously close attention to a political campaign. Only a percentage went for advertising the actual campaign. Organisations do exactly the same thing. That's why so few ever get any funding from me.

ive never understood this for major political campaigns and stimulus programs. Last time i check the news was free advertisement.

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    Funny you say this. I had the NRA call me the other day and twisted my arm trying to get me to donate a sizeable amount to them to protect my 2nd Amendment rights. This young woman kept badgering me to donate money. I asked her to send me some info and I would join, but all she cared about was a donation. She only wanted me to donate money. She was persistent to the point that I finally hung up on her. What is up with this? Has the NRA come to this point? Has anyone else have this happen?
    I had been an NRA member in the past, but had let my membership lapse. I don't know if I will rejoin after this encounter.

I know well and understand that gun rights and gun ownership is under attack from many groups. I was just reading about the proposed UN Small Arms Treaty the Hilary Clinton and our beloved president and probably a majority of our senators will support and ratify. Hopefully, they will not get the necessary 67 senators to vote for a UN international treaty that would impact domestic gun rights and ownership. The politician who was responsible for the article in trying to organize the effort to stop this gun-grabbing effort had my complete attention until I got to the part where he wanted $100, $250, $500 or more for me to sign my name on a petition. Every time I turn around, I get a letter from the NRA wanting me to give large sums to this cause or that cause. Do not get me wrong. They all sound like good causes, but things are tight around my place and I just do not have the money to fork over for every good cause that comes my way. Am I just being a tightwad or is there anyone else out there who wonders if all of the donations actually go to the cause or to supporting a staff of workers who could not care less about the causes for which they are working? Some of these people act like there is not a recession going on around here and many of us just do not have the money to be supporting all of these good causes. I wonder if he would let me sign the petition for free.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I honestly have NOT joined the NRA for this reason specifically. I agree with their what the NRA's points are supposed to be, but part of me thinks they have themselves become enamored with power and the wealth they can attain from said power.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Putting aside whether or not you think the NRA is effective, money makes the world go 'round. How else are they supposed to advance the agenda?

rem700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    dross has a point. im sure the nra and other groups like it have saved us grom quite a few nasty ends.
    im in the same boat as you guys though, i renew my membership as best i can and let it ride with that. that way, however minimal, im doing something

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    I don't totally disagree with you. I do think the NRA is effective and I do appreciate it. I was willing to rejoin at the time of the call. But, she was not the least bit interested in acquiring a new NRA member. Her only goal was to try to badger me into giving as much money as she could get out of me. At that point, I was completely turned off to the idea of rejoining. I don't appreciate being shoved into a corner and I don't think anyone else is no matter what the situation is.

Putting aside whether or not you think the NRA is effective, money makes the world go 'round. How else are they supposed to advance the agenda?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My NRA membership is good until 2015. I got a laptop computer bag with the NRA emblem on it for extending my membership. I do not even have a laptop to put in it. Right now, the only organizations that are getting money from me are the paralyzed veterans and the humane society. I am kinda bummed out with the NRA since the gave Harry Reid a good rating for his gun vote record, regardless of the rest of his voting record. If I had the opportunity, I would not vote for Harry Reid even if he was giving away free guns and ammunition. I am just getting fed up with all of these surveys on the internet that ask for your opinion, but require you to donate money before your vote will be counted. Just my two cents.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you call the NRA and tell them not to bother you with telephone solicitations, the calls will stop..... at least they stopped calling me.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I called in and spoke with a rep, got my name put on the don't call don't snail mail list, then I put my spam email on the online accounts. I don't hear a peep from them anymore! Occasionally I get an email, but I mainly follow them on Facebook now (its just the news updates and stories of the day).

What prompted me to get on the no mail list was 3rd party companies where sending me DVD's and saying I owed them money and I was on the subscription list because I'm an NRA member and their 3rd party dvd's might be of interest to me (the same thing the Petersens auto magazines use to do). I mailed back the payment slip thanking them for the free DVD and advising them not to send me anymore free DVD's as I didn't not request them. I then called the NRA membership line and asked to speak to a manager... told him I joined to keep updated on my rights and information regarding my rights in the political systems, I did not sign up to KILL thousands of trees with all the junk mail, renewal and donation requests. That I would cancel my membership if I received another 3rd party or any other snail mail... I've not got a single thing so far!

Top Bottom