• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not a Glock hater. I have a G23 on my hip as I write this. I just don't think they are the best pistol for everyone. Some people may have issues with the lack of a manual safety which could cause them to carry with an empty chamber. I know it's silly, but I know people who are like that. It's been said a thousand times on this forum that everyone needs to find the gun that fits them. Now, for some reason, if we get to a SHTF situation where it's really important for someone to be competent with a gun, it's one size fits all.

I'm not saying that they are not a great gun for just about everyone to have in their collection. I'm just saying that it's not the automatic right choice for everyone. My niece was put off by the idea of a gun with no safety, so she went with a P07. My brother does not trust a gun without a safety and carrys with an empty chamber with striker fired guns. These are not people that should be automatically pointed towards a Glock. A P229 would make more sense in some situations. Heck, even an old Model 10 would be the better choice for a few.
    I see nothing here that suggests that the recommendation of a Glock would get someone hurt. No way for a gun store clerk to know who is an idiot that will inevitably defeat every safety device ever installed on a firearm and wind up blowing a hole in his foot.

Safety is a mindset, not a lever or button.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Jeez,

Man ask about gun
    Clerk say glock
    Man buy glock
    Man afraid to carry condition 1 because no safety
    Man get shot while trying to chamber round

I could draw a picture maybe?
    What about,

Man ask about gun
    Clerk say gun with safety
    Man buy gun with safety
    Man afraid to carry with safety off
    Man get shot while trying to turn safety off

Just saying, anything can happen if you don't train properly. :)

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Interesting reading on this thread. I have only owned and carried my G19-3 for over 20 yrs. Yes it has been a dependable CCW. Besides Night sites going dim, and RSA being replaced a few times, mag springs too, thats it.

Would I give it to a stranger? I don't think that I would. Unknown of their background, or training, might flip it on me, and that doesn't work well. Wifey knows how to shoot, no issues there.

Owned prolly half a dozen different Glocks in my career, all worked same. Very well.
    Own 1911's, Sig 226, Kahr, Smith & Wesson Shield, that are also good shooters.
    Revolvers too! (First owned and issued in the 80's)

Best to prep simple longguns, for the inexperienced.(22 cal bolt guns or semi auto to learn)
    Maybe use those cheap trades to pawn shops or gun racks?
    I own 2 rifles, 1 is 22cal, other is 556. No use for 308, or 30-06. Lot of them around, but optics are a big thing to get sighted, and stay at the range desired.Not a big game guy, might consider a 30-30 lever rifle option though.
    Good luck on your choices, and preps to be ahead of the curve of need.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    All this pitter patter is dumb. How we've devolved to gun store chubs recommending INGOs most hated pistol I'll not know. It's REAL simple. The point of the video is to bring attention to the fact of having the most popular pistol in your arsenal. Not because you like it. Not because it fits you best. Not because you shoot it the best. Simply because if SHTF happens and WE THE PEOPLE need to have some sort of militia then having a sidearm that most own with be of benefit for commonality and logistics purposes. You know, like every single nation's military now. I'll say this. Everyone having the same pistol in a SHTF situation may be of some benefit but the chances of me using a pistol when I have a long gun is slim to none. I think the more important logistic in that situation is that everyone has an AR

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'll say it again. Y'all do what you want. You'll be able to pick up a couple 1911's and plenty of mags and ammo off my corpse when it's time. I have no desire for a g***k, regardless of "reasons" made up or not. I could easily be talked into a Sig 227/229, but until the right deal on that comes across my way I'll stick with the 1911's that have served me well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll pass along a pro tip for the Glock unfamiliar crowd...

Put the extra 15 round mags that come with your G19 in the case for storage. One 15 round mag goes in the pistol for carry. It matches the compact grip length and is optimal for carry, in the pistol, where concealability is a concern.

The extra mag(s) on your belt or in your pocket are better off being 17 round. Besides the obvious extra two rounds, you have the versatility of fitting in the longer gripped G17, G45, G34. The G19 15 rounders simply aren't long enough to fit in these guns.

:shoot:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'll pass along a pro tip for the Glock unfamiliar crowd...

Put the extra 15 round mags that come with your G19 in the case for storage. One 15 round mag goes in the pistol for carry. It matches the compact grip length and is optimal for carry, in the pistol, where concealability is a concern.

The extra mag(s) on your belt or in your pocket are better off being 17 round. Besides the obvious extra two rounds, you have the versatility of fitting in the longer gripped G17, G45, G34. The G19 15 rounders simply aren't long enough to fit in these guns.

:shoot:
    Thats why my backup mag is for a fullsize even though I carry a compact. Doesn't matter which 1911 I grab, the mag will fit.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Chip McCormicks never worked in any of my Springers. 8rd Sig mag wouldn't seat on a closed slide either with 8 rounds but would with 7. 1911 mags can be finicky

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Chip McCormicks never worked in any of my Springers. 8rd Sig mag wouldn't seat on a closed slide either with 8 rounds but would with 7. 1911 mags can be finicky
    full size is a springer, it seems to not really care what the mag is. I've got mecgar, CMC, Colt, Springer, Dan Wesson and some no-names. Only a couple of the mecgars won't hold open the slide when empty. The compact is an ATI and it also doesn't seem to really care.

I've been looking for 7-rd compact Colt magazines for a while. They seem to have dried up. Those worked really well in my 1991A1 (which also didn't seem to care about what mag you fed it).

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I wanted to love the G19. The week the Gen5 hit the stores I rented one and put 50 rounds down the pipe. The way my trigger finger rubbed on the trigger guard was just to uncomfortable to enjoy shooting. I'll stick with my S&W Compact I guess.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wanted to love the G19. The week the Gen5 hit the stores I rented one and put 50 rounds down the pipe. The way my trigger finger rubbed on the trigger guard was just to uncomfortable to enjoy shooting. I'll stick with my S&W Compact I guess.

You should watch the video in the OP to see what this thread is really about, my friend. :)

It's a prepper/survival/SHTF thing, posted in the appropriate forum. Not really about which gun you (or anyone else) like better than the other.

;)

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    You should watch the video in the OP to see what this thread is really about, my friend. :)

It's a prepper/survival/SHTF thing, posted in the appropriate forum. Not really about which gun you (or anyone else) like better than the other.

;)
    I watched enough to know that I don't need some poser picking my firearms. I will not own a gun I don't like period. Does anyone think that if SHTF you will need to look for gun parts? I don't think so.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The idea in the OP video is that common hardware in a common caliber makes logistics simpler (more easily supplied, serviced, modified, resupplied, supported, etc.) than uncommon hipster Gucci hardware in a less common caliber.

Such support will likely be more difficult in a lengthy SHTF scenario, and thus this criteria may be more advantageous than it is during normal times. Pretty simple straightforward stuff.

Top Bottom