• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I couldn't agree more. Why would I want to go to carrying something I'm not proficient with nor comfortable shooting? I've been stocking up on mags and things for a while now. If the shtf, I'm probably screwed anyway so I might as well use what I'm comfortable with.
    I think the video is geared towards preppers, not people who have already given up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My simple takeaway is that the G19 is like a carbureted small block Chevy.

Not the most efficient or powerful, but reliable, parts & accessories easily findeable and interchangeable.
    If that's what he said, I'd agree with him. What he said was that everyone should add and carry the G19. Is the G19 a good option? Of course. Is it always the right option? No.

I guess the thing that irks me about videos like that is that the presenter is being intellectually lazy. It's like guys in a gun shop that, when asked what gun they would recommend, simply respond, 'Glock'. No questions asked about the intended use, prior training, or skills. They are too lazy or dim-witted to learn about the customer's needs, but they just grunt the word 'Glock'

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...It's like guys in a gun shop that, when asked what gun they would recommend, simply respond, 'Glock'. No questions asked about the intended use, prior training, or skills. They are too lazy or dim-witted to learn about the customer's needs, but they just grunt the word 'Glock'

Wonder if some folks get too tied up in their feelings that their pistol choice is the best, because it was their choice?

Why would it be a bad idea for any gun shop counter jockey to suggest THE most popular handgun in the country?

It goes along the same line of thinking that for preparedness, one would be smart to have a copy of the most popular handgun in the country in their inventory?

An advantage of having a G19 in your safe is that you would also have easy access to stay current on how to carry and shoot the most popular handgun in the country.

Never know when that pistol might be the only option you have? Self defense, SHTF, not your regular choice. When it's time to shoot, it would be bad to let your dislike for Glock inhibit you from training to effectively shoot the most likely handgun in your hand, other than your regular choice.

:dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Why would it be a bad idea for any gun shop counter jockey to suggest THE most popular handgun in the country?

It goes along the same line of thinking that for preparedness, one would be smart to have a copy of the most popular handgun in the country in their inventory?

It's the lazy answer. If he were doing his job, he'd ask questions first. In that situation, the gun shop employee is considered as someone with greater knowledge of the subject matter. He is letting his personal preference get in the way of simply being of service to his customer.

Glocks are great pistols, but assuming that it's the easy answer in all situations can get someone hurt.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Your friends will have them to loan. The smart one's, that know how to think ahead.

If you are smart, and by circumstance have loaned out yours, you'll still have G19 carry gear to accommodate the one you borrow.

Holsters, mags, mag carrier, etc...

:)

Reactions: Mij

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Glocks are great pistols, but assuming that it's the easy answer in all situations can get someone hurt.
    How? How could suggesting a Glock to someone looking for a pistol get someone hurt? Glocks aren't my favorite pistols, but I've still got a G19 in my safe. You don't have to like them, but don't be ridiculous about it.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    My simple takeaway is that the G19 is like a carbureted small block Chevy.

Not the most efficient or powerful, but reliable, parts & accessories easily findeable and interchangeable.
    I agree. This is why I have a G19. It's not my favorite to shoot or carry, but I will be holding on to it for these reasons.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree. This is why I have G19. It's not my favorite to shoot or carry, but I will be holding on to it for these reasons.

Icing on the cake of your non-favored G19 in the safe. You can be the one who arms the person who needs to be armed in a pinch. Someone with their own personal SHTF. Abuser, stalker, whatever sort of immediate threat might crop up.

Loved one, friend, neighbor, INGOer? Maybe the one who has used their self defense pistol, then was confiscated by officers responding to the call?

:cool:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How? How could suggesting a Glock to someone looking for a pistol get someone hurt? Glocks aren't my favorite pistols, but I've still got a G19 in my safe. You don't have to like them, but don't be ridiculous about it.
    I'm not a Glock hater. I have a G23 on my hip as I write this. I just don't think they are the best pistol for everyone. Some people may have issues with the lack of a manual safety which could cause them to carry with an empty chamber. I know it's silly, but I know people who are like that. It's been said a thousand times on this forum that everyone needs to find the gun that fits them. Now, for some reason, if we get to a SHTF situation where it's really important for someone to be competent with a gun, it's one size fits all.

I'm not saying that they are not a great gun for just about everyone to have in their collection. I'm just saying that it's not the automatic right choice for everyone. My niece was put off by the idea of a gun with no safety, so she went with a P07. My brother does not trust a gun without a safety and carrys with an empty chamber with striker fired guns. These are not people that should be automatically pointed towards a Glock. A P229 would make more sense in some situations. Heck, even an old Model 10 would be the better choice for a few.

Reactions: Mij

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    People afraid of guns without manual safeties is an education problem, as opposed to a safety problem. Time has proven this, with overwhelming numbers of professional and private carry of striker fired pistols coming from the factory with no manual safety.

It could be argued that folks who believe the manual safety will save them and others from injury are actually more of a gun handling danger than those who carry pistols "without a safety. :rolleyes:"

:twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom