Ever wonder what Muncie’s airport looks like at 8,000 feet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nice plane. My brother is the pilot in the family, tho I never fly with him (for the same reason the Navy stopped putting brothers on the same boat).

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Come see FKR from 14,500 (they do observation flights at SkydiveIndy if you’re too scared to make the actual jump lol)!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My best friend got his PP license several years ago. I've been up with him a couple of times, glad he enjoys it but I'm only comfortable if I have a parachute.
    Use to have a Powered Parachute with a limit of 10,000 ft. Highest I went was 5000 ft. Best flying was 500 ft or less depending. Even in summer it gets cold up there. lol.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've never dangled from a powered one but have been skydiving a few times. One of the most exhilarating things I've ever done.
    Yep. Just retired due to medical issues. Used to do it semi professionally for a while. Those were the days. And it was hilarious. I cant tell you how many firefighter/spinner cheerleader couples showed up, and she had no problems, but the macho fire fighter was like "hard pass. I'm riding the plane down." Let me get this straight. You run into burning buildings, but wont do that? :scratch:

EDIT: And I had my pilots license first. then I realized I could either pay to fly, or skydive doing videos and teach and get paid to fly. I think once I got my skydiving instructors rating, I maybe flew 2 more hours.

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Yep. Just retired due to medical issues. Used to do it semi professionally for a while. Those were the days. And it was hilarious. I cant tell you how many firefighter/spinner cheerleader couples showed up, and she had no problems, but the macho fire fighter was like "hard pass. I'm riding the plane down." Let me get this straight. You run into burning buildings, but wont do that? :scratch:

EDIT: And I had my pilots license first. then I realized I could either pay to fly, or skydive doing videos and teach and get paid to fly. I think once I got my skydiving instructors rating, I maybe flew 2 more hours.

Funny thing, the jump pilot at SkydiveIndy was a jump instructor for YEARS before learning to fly. Used to be that the jump instructors made more money hand over fist than the pilots, but I guess that’s not quite the case anymore. Guy flies the season up here, then goes and jumps all winter. Seems like a pretty sweet gig to me!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Funny thing, the jump pilot at SkydiveIndy was a jump instructor for YEARS before learning to fly. Used to be that the jump instructors made more money hand over fist than the pilots, but I guess that’s not quite the case anymore. Guy flies the season up here, then goes and jumps all winter. Seems like a pretty sweet gig to me!
    Yep. Many of the jump pilots were guys building time for their commercial ticket. I THINK they would use a loophole and fly jumpers for free in exchange for hours. (and usually lunch provided by the DZO. )

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Yep. Many of the jump pilots were guys building time for their commercial ticket. I THINK they would use a loophole and fly jumpers for free in exchange for hours. (and usually lunch provided by the DZO. )

Pretty sure the FAA considers the ability to log time a form of compensation and is therefore a big no-no unless you have your CPL, but I’m certainly not going to rat anyone out! :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pretty sure the FAA considers the ability to log time a form of compensation and is therefore a big no-no unless you have your CPL, but I’m certainly not going to rat anyone out! :)
    Probably not. Its very common. Or at least it was 10 years ago.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I have (had?) a video of my first jump, did an AFF on both of my jumps, that was out of Greensburg probably pretty close to 20 years ago now. Ahh....the good old days. I'm terrified of heights but absolutely loved skydiving. Had it been a bit more affordable at the time I'd have likely stuck with it for awhile.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Probably not. Its very common. Or at least it was 10 years ago.

It may be “common,” but I was trying to state it lightly, so let me be more direct: from a technically “legal” perspective, logging hours while performing tasks considered commercial in nature is viewed as a form of compensation by the FAA and will likely get your ticket pulled if they find out. They define “compensation” rather broadly, but the exact quotes most pertinent to the matter in the letter of interpretation found in the link below are:

“If compensation or hire is involved for acting as pilot in command of an aircraft during an airshow [or in any commercial capacity, airshow performances were merely the primary “vehicle” for the discussion of compensation], the pilot is exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate, and at least a second class medical certificate is required.”

and

“Additionally, the logging of flight time is compensation if the pilot does not have to pay the costs of operating the aircraft.”

FAA Letter of Interpretation

Also, not trying to be a dick or anything, just making it clear for any other pilots/would be pilots out there who may be reading this as I’d hate for them to lose their certificate and have to start over from scratch! Do what you want, but if you get caught, remember that ignorance of the law is no excuse and the FAA “paints with a broad brush” intentionally. Knowing the limitations of your certificate is your own responsibility. :)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Been to Frankfort several times. Really nice airport and the folks are really friendly.
    I went up to Frankfort to take my private pilot check ride. Everything went great, came back with a signed ticket but when I got back to Eagle Creek, someone had broken into my van and cleaned it out.

Signed CDs from 38 Special, Jimmy Ryser and Bob and Tom, 35mm camera, all kinds of stuff. Every drawer, both glove boxes, and every cubby hole in the van had been ransacked.

I think it was an inside job. The wrong person got word (probably where I worked back then, it was a pretty big place) and knew I would be gone for a few hours.

Oh well, that was 30 years ago. People could be jerks back then and they still are at times.

Top Bottom