• ...and so much more!
  • Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I have not heard of this. I did 18 years active duty and 10 years reserve USN/USNR.

"Well, as it turns out, coins left at graves have special meanings and visitors who leave them aren't just doing so for the fun of it. When you see a coin on a gravestone, it simply means that the deceased were in the military service. It's a long-standing military tradition and a special way of honoring those who died in service to the United States of America."

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen Coins on headstones when I set grave site flags for memorial day, mostly silver dollars. Just a coin or two, not covered like the headstone in the MSN article. I never knew what the coins were for, thanks for the info.

I was 30 before I knew I was supposed to give a coin to someone if they cut themselves with my knife. Lots of traditions in lots of places.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I found this out recently. My uncle was in the Korean war. Went to visit his grave on veterans day and saw several pennies on his head stone. My cousin said that after the Vietnam war where it was so controversial with family members Fellow servicemen started leaving coins on head stones to show respect for each other. Each coin means something different. All I remember is a penny means a fellow serviceman visited the grave but doesn't mean they knew each other.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I never have but visited Spring Mill State Park last weekend and went to Hamer cemetary in the park. One tombstone had a rather
    large pile of coins on it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I of course put them on my dad's headstone as he was Korean and Vietnam War veteran who was killed in DaNang '72. My great uncle was RADM Don Pardee Moon and there are piles on his Arlington gravestone.
    The only reason I knew about this tradition is because of the old guys taught me this stuff when I was a young 16yr old PV1 in the Guards. Learned a bunch from those dudes. All dead now of course. Some knew my dad...

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    I was 30 before I knew I was supposed to give a coin to someone if they cut themselves with my knife. Lots of traditions in lots of places.
    My mother always taped a penny to a knife given as a gift. The tradition stemmed from an old superstition that a knife could sever a friendship - the penny was to be given back to the giver (by the recipient) to “pay” to keep the friendship intact.

And she always lit a candle wick before giving the candle as a gift. — an unburnt candle invites ghosts and evil spirits.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Looked this up ---

Have you ever been in a cemetery and saw coins laying on a headstone?
    A coin left on a headstone lets the deceased soldier’s family know that somebody stopped by to pay their respect.
    A penny means you visited.
    A nickel means you and the deceased veteran trained at boot camp together.
    A dime means you and the deceased veteran served together in some capacity.
    A quarter is very significant because it means that you were there when that veteran died.
    The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military men and women can be traced to as far back as the Roman Empire.
    Soldiers would insert a coin into the mouth of a fallen soldier to ensure they could cross the “River Styx” into the afterlife. In the
    US, this practice became common during the Vietnam war, due to the political divide in the country over the war, leaving a coin
    was seen as a more practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier’s family, which could
    devolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    IMG_2984-XL.jpg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Looked this up ---

Have you ever been in a cemetery and saw coins laying on a headstone?
    A coin left on a headstone lets the deceased soldier’s family know that somebody stopped by to pay their respect.
    A penny means you visited.
    A nickel means you and the deceased veteran trained at boot camp together.
    A dime means you and the deceased veteran served together in some capacity.
    A quarter is very significant because it means that you were there when that veteran died.
    The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military men and women can be traced to as far back as the Roman Empire.
    Soldiers would insert a coin into the mouth of a fallen soldier to ensure they could cross the “River Styx” into the afterlife. In the
    US, this practice became common during the Vietnam war, due to the political divide in the country over the war, leaving a coin
    was seen as a more practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier’s family, which could
    devolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war.
    What do you leave if it’s a family member?

Top Bottom