Ever hurt yourself or have any close calls while shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    When I was engaged to the future Mrs. Ortega I had her at my house and was showing her my neat Ruger semi-auto .22. We were sitting on a step and I shot at a can some distance away. The hot case ejected and landed on her, as they say in the movies, creamy white thigh. About a second later she jumped and said, "Owwwww." I felt like a dufus. The mark is still there today.
    Pics of marked, creamy-white thigh to confirm or it didn't happen... :whistle: :D

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    This was the closest call that I have ever had...

I worked in a Navy personnel office on Torii Station Army Base just north of Kadena AFB 1n 1974. Our department head decided that he wanted all of us clerical type people pistol qualified. Maybe because he was concerned that chucking our typewriters at invading Viet Cong couldn't guarantee us a OSS.

I was in a lane to the immediate left of a young sailorette, one of the first non-medical WAVES assigned permanently on Okinawa. She had just started in working in our office a few days earlier and in WAVE boot camp they then didn't weapons qualify so it was her first time with any gun of any kind. We were shooting standard issue 1911s.

Being a female type sailor, her dungaree blouse buttoned from the reverse of the men's, so the opening gapped to the left instead of the right. While we were shooting rapid fire one of my ejected brass flew into the gap in her blouse, and then wedged deeply into her cleavage (Puberty had been very kind to her).

She was quite surprised, upset, and vocal... and waving a .45 around in one hand while she danced across the range grabbing at her chest with the other. I was the only one who knew what happened, and I was dying laughing while everyone else scattered until things got back under control. I think the range Gunny put his retirement papers in the next day. Just couldn't handle these new-fangled ideas about women on the firing line.

She eventually forgave me, and this year we celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary. She's since learned much better range manners, and I try not to give her any reason to regret going with me
    Same goes for you Jack.... :D

:postpics:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    This was the closest call that I have ever had...

I worked in a Navy personnel office on Torii Station Army Base just north of Kadena AFB 1n 1974. Our department head decided that he wanted all of us clerical type people pistol qualified. Maybe because he was concerned that chucking our typewriters at invading Viet Cong couldn't guarantee us a OSS.

I was in a lane to the immediate left of a young sailorette, one of the first non-medical WAVES assigned permanently on Okinawa. She had just started in working in our office a few days earlier and in WAVE boot camp they then didn't weapons qualify so it was her first time with any gun of any kind. We were shooting standard issue 1911s.

Being a female type sailor, her dungaree blouse buttoned from the reverse of the men's, so the opening gapped to the left instead of the right. While we were shooting rapid fire one of my ejected brass flew into the gap in her blouse, and then wedged deeply into her cleavage (Puberty had been very kind to her).

She was quite surprised, upset, and vocal... and waving a .45 around in one hand while she danced across the range grabbing at her chest with the other. I was the only one who knew what happened, and I was dying laughing while everyone else scattered until things got back under control. I think the range Gunny put his retirement papers in the next day. Just couldn't handle these new-fangled ideas about women on the firing line.

She eventually forgave me, and this year we celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary. She's since learned much better range manners, and I try not to give her any reason to regret going with me

Awesome story!!! :rockwoot: and congratulations on your 38th... may you celebrate 38 more!

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Nice.... Scoped myself.........twice. My ex Brother-in-law and I were out at the farm shooting logs, cans, buckets and anything else that could be contrived as a would be assailant. He ran off a a few clips thru the AK-47 at a rather rapid rate and then went to lean it up in a rack......... handling by the barrel. I laughed so hard i might have wet myself a little. Still has a small scar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doing the farm junk yard shoot-em up. Friend was getting ready to clear out the 100 year old family junk yard on the farm and we were wearing out everything with all kinds of firearms and having a great male bonding time. The property owners brother had a 9MM of some sort and started shooting at an old implement trailer that had 8 ply or better tires from another era on it. The bullets were bouncing of and going everywhere as that pissy little 9 was not going to punch a hole in those tires. One came zinging by my head as we were all diving for cover. He was dis-armed when his mag was empty. He had no idea of the mayhem he had caused. No holes or leaks in anyone.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I remember when I was about to selling my Mossberg, I forgot the clear the chamber and accidentally pulled the trigger, BUT the safety was on. I slapped myself in the forehead because all you need to do is **** up ONCE to screw yourself over. So that was a life lesson for me

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    7-8 yrs ago KnobCreek machingegun shoot I was on the line about 5-6 ft away from a women shooting a MG42 on a antiaircraft tripod with about a 6ft long belt

After several moments of shooting she just held the trigger down and was rocken the world of a waterheater when the swivel pin broke and the weapon fell to the right and she continued to hold the trigger and just sprayed the line

And it was like the movies shot-zipping noise and a thud
    when it hit the ground, about 6" in front of my left foot throwing dirt up into my face

They took the gun and mount away and quickly replaced it with another and went on liked nothing happened.

:rockwoot: I'M ALIVE was all I could think,once I got all the dirt off my face and out of my mouth

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was at H&H a while ago now using the indoor range. Some idiot shot the target holder and somehow a small chunk of metal from that came back and smacked me in the cheek.

Scared me more than hurt, but it left a little welt for a bit.

I know someone that happened to, he was testing out a used .44 he just bought and it was sighted in about 8" high at 7 yrs. He got a nice little fragment in his arm. Was just under the skin but it traveled about 4-5" under the skin.

I got a nice little burn on my finger, I was breaking in a new gun and had just finished running about 250 rds through it. I went to clear it, drop the mag, rack 3-4 times, look and feel. It went just fine until I went to feel..... No scar but a nice blister for a few days.

Never listen to your older brothers/uncles/cousins the first time you shoot. They gave me the advice to hold the shotgun a couple of inches from my shoulder to let it "slow down" some. This was with a H&R topper with 12 ga, 3 in magnum shells. Luckily it was cold and I had on a bulky coat that helped absorb it some.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I got a nasty blister once on my finger from shooting a handgun with a serrated trigger and a 12 lb trigger pull about 50 times.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    I was with a buddy who had a "strange popping" sound from his gun when he pulled the trigger... he pulled it again and the gun went BOOM.

It taught me to always check the barrel for obstructions if something seems to have not gone right.

Amazingly, nobody was hurt despite the fact that the gun looked like a bomb had hit it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Pics of marked, creamy-white thigh to confirm or it didn't happen... :whistle: :D
    I may have to wait until she's asleep and see if I can get a pic. It's pretty high up (she had a really cute pair of short shorts on that day). (Frosty and Mrs. Frost, since you've met the mrs. please cut me some slack. You know I really do respect and love her.)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Wait a sec, just under the skin or 4-5 INCHES under the skin? :eek:
    Yes, it happens. I worked with a guy years ago who had a near death accident. He had just pulled his (loaded) shotgun up to his deer stand with a rope. He somehow set it down so that it was pointed up and it went off. The slug entered at the top of his abdomen, traveled outside his rib cage under the skin and stopped just short of coming out at his shoulder. He quickly got out of the tree, called for help, jacked another round into the chamber in case a deer came by before rescuers got there and waited. He was extremely lucky.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, it happens. I worked with a guy years ago who had a near death accident. He had just pulled his (loaded) shotgun up to his deer stand with a rope. He somehow set it down so that it was pointed up and it went off. The slug entered at the top of his abdomen, traveled outside his rib cage under the skin and stopped just short of coming out at his shoulder. He quickly got out of the tree, called for help, jacked another round into the chamber in case a deer came by before rescuers got there and waited. He was extremely lucky.

And a dedicated hunter, Yes

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    About 15 years ago I was sighting in my 30-06 at the range. I was sitting on the bench, and never got completely comfortable...used to standing.
    Took my first shot...a little off. Then I could feel something on my forehead. Seemed odd, i thought, until a few seconds later blood is flowing from my forehead. Butt of the rifle slipped off my shoulder, and the scope nailed me right above my eye.
    Didn't hurt until we got to the emergency room. Adrenaline finally wore off. Left with eight stitches, and knowing how lucky I was as I came within an inch or two of losing an eye.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom