• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    We name all of our cows. When we raised pigs they were named bacon, sausage, pork chop, and boy. My nephew named boy and it was really a girl. There is definitely nothing like raising your own meat. If you have never tried a fresh steak you need to. A farmer I work for raises cows and sells the meat out of his garage (it is a legit state certified business). He is located in greenfield and if anyone is interested PM me and I can give you his info. I think he is going to start selling pork soon.

I agree, freshly butchered meat is the best! I remember when I was a kid and grandpa would kill a hog and butcher it in the back porch of his house. The sausage was so lean you actually had to add oil to fry it! And the bacon and fresh side were better than any you'd get in the store! :bacondance:

I really wish I had been old enough to learn all that while he was still around. I'd love to be able to still do it today. Hopefully someday I will learn so I can do it for my (future) kids so they can experience it too.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    beer infused beef steaks...mmmmmm.

Ive heard of folks feeding there stock beer or wine before butchering but didnt know it was part of a diet. I always assumed it calmed them down,since you want as little blood flow through the muscles as possible and alcohol thins the blood. I would think eating an animal that was calm before death taste better{and is more tender} than an animal that had an adrenalin rush before death.
    Actually...you're dead on...sort of...pardon the pun... ;) When an animal (or human) dies a traumatic death the adrenalin rush and other enzymes produced makes the meat tough...the alcohol lessesns the effects. :cheers: Or at least that was how it was explained to me when butchering cattle and hogs. You always want a quick, clean shot on that imaginary cross between the ears and the eyes...hoist them upside down fast and then stick them quickly so they bleed out fast.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Never fed any animal beer at any time, but have named many animals over the years that we have later butchered and eaten:

Beef
    chicken
    duck
    lamb
    turtle
    pig

The joy of growing up on a farm and being dirt poor during the late 1970's and early 1980's.

It's kinda like the old joke:

Q: How many dogs does a Chinese family have?

A: Five. Two for petting and three for eating.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Does anyone know how long it is after the steak is cut and when the butcher puts it out for sale?

I know, if I'm buying a nice cut of steak, it sure as heck be wrapped in paper, not plastic.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Does anyone know how long it is after the steak is cut and when the butcher puts it out for sale?

I know, if I'm buying a nice cut of steak, it sure as heck be wrapped in paper, not plastic.
    Generally they are put out for sale as soon as they are cut. But they are generally aged 3 to 7 days (sometimes longer) from the time they are slaughtered until they are cut (processed).

Top Bottom