• ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Here is the new commercial from DHS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6tVE3cS98]YouTube - Emergency Preparedness World Upside Down 60[/ame]

Only thing missing is the 12 gauge over his other shoulder

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    As a former EMTD and firefighter. Everyone should have a bob in any disaster you are on your own for at least 72 hours. It will take at least that long before help can get to you.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Yeah, the gov wants you to bug out--right to their FEMA shelter, where they can then control you. I've read Lights Out, I know what's going to happen.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    LOL you are right on the money Hemingway, I will be heading in the other direction and leave all the sheep running to the slaughter! And another thing when you walk out that door make sure you have your BDU's on!!! :D

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    FEMA has always told people they need to be self reliant for 72 hours. Katrina was such a disaster because no one did anything, they just waited for FEMA to save the day. And we all know were that got them........

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    All the christian networks have been showing commercials about preparedness as well. Hopefully people will catch on...sooner or later. Hopefully if it's later, it's not *too* late.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't need a video to know that it could take 72 hour's or longer for help to get to me if there was a natural disaster or something....... Look at what happend with the quakes a few month's ago and Katrina........

I did SAR for year's...... I know help will not be at my fron't door that day or even the next..... not me being paranoid, just the truth.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not reading too much into that video. IMO, if they think they can wake up a few people to take care of themselves after a disaster, the less work they have to do.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm not reading too much into that video. IMO, if they think they can wake up a few people to take care of themselves after a disaster, the less work they have to do.

I have not watched it but can tell you is that what it boil's down to is that it takes a few day's for the following to all happen and get in gear,

Get a game plan going
    Get help to were it is needed
    Get food and supplies to were it is needed
    Get the food and helper's out to those that need it
    Get shelter's up
    Having security in place to keep people from stealing the supplies

People think that once something happens that help should be there that day or at the most the next day.....

Look at all the disaster's that have happend over the year's and how long the response time was....... you can't just do stuff over night.

If you are in a small plane and it goes down out in the wood's and nobody see's it and you were not on the radar do you know how many times the satellite has to pass over picking up the ELT signal before the AFRCC (Air Force Rescue Command Center) will notice? It takes 3 times. If I remember right it takes a little over an hour for that sucker to get around the world. On the second time the start calling SAR team's. On the 3rd they tell them to go. By the time the team's are together and searching and search planes are in the air you are talking maybe another 3 hour's or so at the most. From impact to to people looking for you it's most likley a good 6 hour's. If impact happen's right after the satellite just passed then add another hour. If you are in rough terrain and not near any road's and there is no fire and it is starting to get dark count on being out there longer... maybe 12 hour's if you are lucky........ if something happend to your ELT and it will not turn on then you will be out there even longer if someone report's you missing.

They told us that if the New Madrd fault line let loose really bad that Chicago and Ft. Wayne would be the command center point's becuase they would be ok, everything south of that would be in trouble......... I know that the populated area's would get helped first and the people farther from town would be last...... When the Tornado's hit the south side year's ago we had to go around and rank home damage on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst.... The people that got ranked toward's the bottom had to wait because they did not need help as much as other's but still needed help.

Long story short if you depend on anyone but yourself to take care of you the first few day's-week after something happen's then you will be in a world of hurt.

I don't blame people for bad response times because I know how it is first hand.

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    So I watched the video (youtube is blocked at work).

It is less then impressive. It is almost like it is telling you to leave your house is something happen's.......... for all you know your home is the safest/best place to be.

I am all about situational awarness....... If there is a bid disaster and my house is still standing or at least look's like it is in good shape and not going to fall at any second chances are I am not going to leave....... If it was a big quake then chances are I may just camp out in the yard....

People allway's seem to want to run for the hill's...

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    These types of videos do more disservice than provide helpful information.

Grab a bag and leave the house?

Then you see firms selling 72 hour BOB's for $49.95 or something similar that contain a 3600 calorie emergency food bar? Throw in 24 ounces of packaged water and a $2 blanket? Yep, that will help.

Someone's gonna be in a world of hurt following this advice.

Top Bottom