Etiquette when looking at guns in a shop.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yea he always talks about the gun he carried in Korea. He knows more than me sothat's a plus.

Like I said, several from NWI would volunteer to go if you want.
    A M&S is a great place to meet us, and try guns out.
    Lowendgenerator works at Cabelas.
    Subtlesixer works at Westforth.
    Sadclown works at Blythes (valpo).

I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    One of the toughest things for guys to do is to check their egos at the door. We want to think that we should just KNOW how to handle guns. After all, we're GUYS, right? :D

When you're not sure of something, ask. As others have said, just tell the salesperson that you're new to the sport/hobby/habit and say something like, "Could you demonstrate the features of this handgun for me?" That gives you an opportunity to see how it functions, where the controls are and what any levers or buttons do.

Good luck on your quest and have fun! And sign up for some good training ASAP. The sooner you learn how to effectively and confidently manipulate your weapon, the more prepared you'll be to go shopping for your NEXT handgun ... :rockwoot:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Ryan
    You are doing some homework. That's a big plus on your side for not getting taken for a ride, when dealing with any 'salesman' Remember their prime interest is selling what is best for them, not necessairily what is best for you. A good dealer can help you make a good selection, but ALWAYS take that comment " It's a piece of Junk" as a warning flag if they hit you with it. Even a cheapy Hi-Point pistol has merit to some buyers. it may not be for you, but for it's corner of the market it sells. A dealer who badmouths his own inventory is not one I would return to.

If you narrow you choices to a few models in whatever caliber you want, then go to Guns America and Gunbroker and maybe even Armslist online and see what folks are asking for new and used versions of those you are interested in. Compare thos numbers to what you find in the gun stores and you will have a fair cross-section of pricing.

While availability may be an issue, I urge you not to jump for the first gun that impresses you...shop around, even with tight inventories, you need to surpress that first time buyers feeling...just for a little while and 'pick and choose'.

Post your questions...there are a lot of guys here who have experienced the same concerns you have...learn from them.
    Regards
    AL

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Do not point it at anyone at any time. Do NOT point it at anyone at any time. DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE AT ANY TIME.

I don't care if you just saw the clerk check the breech. I don't care if you just personally inspected it to verify that it was unloaded. DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE AT ANY TIME.

This is most often neglected in stores. It bothers me when I'm in gun stores and people just point them anywhere. Many rules are ignored because of a feeling of safety. With guns, it's about constant safe vigilance. Great advice. Also, RyanGSams, you are making great progress by humbling yourself and asking these questions. Believing or acting like you know about guns can be a big mistake.

Edit: As for what to buy.... I don't know if this was mentoned, as I didn't read the whole thread, but you might check out some smaller stores that have mature employees. I'm not telling you to listen to anyone's particular opinion, but you should be able to form your own after visiting a few stores. While I've definitely met employees at Gander Mountain that do know what they're talking about, I've met plenty that don't have a clue. One guy told me that all 1911s were bad and to never buy one. Genius, that one.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is most often neglected in stores. It bothers me when I'm in gun stores and people just point them anywhere.

What I see is most often is what I mentioned above. They're not "aiming", but they're simply holding the gun at waist level when they turn around to talk to someone and sweep the store. And since a pistol is designed so that having your finger on the trigger is natural, they'll almost always have their finger on the trigger. Guess what? You just broke two of the four rules. Batting .500 is great if you're playing baseball, but not when you're holding a deadly weapon.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I would also recommend you go during non peak times (ie.. Weekend) so the sales people have time to work with you and that you feel less pressure.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Don't pretend to know things you don't.

a) In fact sometimes I play a little dumb just to see what the salesperson will say (especially if it is my first time in that shop).

b) If you really don't know, ask questions, give the salesperson a chance to share their knowledge. They'll feel good and you might learn something.

If you aren't serious about buying in the immediate future, tell them upfront. Sometimes I am looking to buy and will make a decision on the spot based on the deal. Sometimes I am just browsing or something catches my eye. The salespeople seem to appreciate it when I let them know the extent of my interest.

Tell the salesperson what you are looking for and your intended purpose. They can sometimes offer helpful advice. Don't be talked into making a bad purchase but do be open to good advice.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    A came with a new gun! I have purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. I didn't get the Compact because, of the fact they were same price.

8871764261_ff7c67b5e5_c.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good choice! I have one myself and I love it! I have the compact, though, because I don't like carrying a full-size grip.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Congrats. Now you have to run it to make sure it's reliable, and so that you can work it even in emergencies.

Yea, I plan to take it to the range to test it out. Probably won't be able to head out for two weeks. I have the next 2 days off, but I am too hyped about going to the Blackhawks game tomorrow night. :D

Good choice! I have one myself and I love it! I have the compact, though, because I don't like carrying a full-size grip.

Yea, i was deciding between the two. I don't plan on carrying right away. I need to learn how to handle it and shoot it well first, so that was the main factor in getting the full size, gives me a few more rounds before having to reload.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Congrats on your new gun! I really like the M&P line. I think your going to be very happy with that when you get to the range.

If you were really serious about learning that firearm you would not waste your time on the Hawks game. You would give me the tickets and YOU would go to the range with that new gun.

A new M&P and Hawks tickets.... Man, you are livin' LARGE.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Good choice RGS that is a fine first pistol.

Might I ask why you chose the model with a manual safety?

I understand if since it is your first handgun but it adds an extra training step that isn't necesary. Of course that is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.... ~ :twocents:

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Congrats on your new gun! I really like the M&P line. I think your going to be very happy with that when you get to the range.

If you were really serious about learning that firearm you would not waste your time on the Hawks game. You would give me the tickets and YOU would go to the range with that new gun.

A new M&P and Hawks tickets.... Man, you are livin' LARGE.

Thank you.

I think i will hold on to the Hawks tickets. :D I bought those on a whim. Had a few beers in me for game 6 and as soon as I knew they were going to win, i hopped online and bought two tickets. I just HAVE to go to one game this year, i feel like I am letting them down if i didn't.

I don't know about livin' large, I am just enjoying life while i am not married, and have minimal bills right now. Gotta do what I can before i have a house to buy next year. :)

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Great choice on a first gun. Make sure to post your first impressions. Guns multiply though, so you'll probably have more than one in the next few months :D.

Top Bottom