Etiquette when looking at guns in a shop.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I am going to be going to a shop to look for a handgun (my first) :rockwoot: and am wondering when going through the handguns, what am i looking for when I am holding it.

I plan on taking a handgun training class when i get some free time from work and never really handled them except once, when i was younger.

Basically, i am wondering if i am able to feel the trigger feel and length of pull when holding it. I am almost positive i would have to remove magazine (if its installed) and clear the chamber to be positive it is not loaded.

I am sorry for the newbish questions, and I am sure its been asked many times already, but my Google-fu was not finding anything.

Thanks!

EDIT: found this after posting.

Anything else i should know that isn't included in the article?

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Keep it in a safe direction and simply ask the clerk if you may "dry fire" the gun. They will most certainly say yes, but asking is the polite thing to do.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Say please and thank you, do not point it at anyone including the sales person. Do not dry fire, do not "slap" cyclinders back in on revolvers, do not let slides "fly" home on semi-autos.

These are all things to consider when handling someone elses property. center fire weapons are usually o.k. to dry fire, but do not do so without asking.

It seems these days that good manners are a thing of the past.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just keep the 4 RULES in effect at all times. ALWAYS double check to make sure it is empty, even if you watch the sales person do it. As far a dry firing it, I always ask if it is ok. (except rimfires) Some shops don't want you to do it. But most will let you because why would you buy a gun if you could not try the trigger.

I keep it pointed at the ground when I dry fire it. And if you want to aim it, always stop and take a good look around to make sure where you will point it. Make sure nobody will walk into the line of sight.

As far as removing the mag, I do this when I check the chamber. I always like to see how many it will hold.

Just use good sense. If in doubt, always ask.

Welcome to INGO and let us know what you get!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Do not point it at anyone at any time. Do NOT point it at anyone at any time. DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE AT ANY TIME.

I don't care if you just saw the clerk check the breech. I don't care if you just personally inspected it to verify that it was unloaded. DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE AT ANY TIME.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Do not point it at anyone at any time. Do NOT point it at anyone at any time. DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE AT ANY TIME.

I don't care if you just saw the clerk check the breech. I don't care if you just personally inspected it to verify that it was unloaded. DO NOT POINT IT AT ANYONE AT ANY TIME.
    Thank you. I knew not to EVER point it at anyone.

Unless I missed it, keep your finger off the trigger also... Up to they give you permission to dry fire...
    Article did not state that.

Just keep the 4 RULES in effect at all times. ALWAYS double check to make sure it is empty, even if you watch the sales person do it. As far a dry firing it, I always ask if it is ok. (except rimfires) Some shops don't want you to do it. But most will let you because why would you buy a gun if you could not try the trigger.

I keep it pointed at the ground when I dry fire it. And if you want to aim it, always stop and take a good look around to make sure where you will point it. Make sure nobody will walk into the line of sight.

As far as removing the mag, I do this when I check the chamber. I always like to see how many it will hold.

Just use good sense. If in doubt, always ask.

Welcome to INGO and let us know what you get!

Thank you, I am going to be looking at the M&P9 C and shield as well as the SP2022 and maybe the Ruger SR9.

Say please and thank you, do not point it at anyone including the sales person. Do not dry fire, do not "slap" cyclinders back in on revolvers, do not let slides "fly" home on semi-autos.

These are all things to consider when handling someone elses property. center fire weapons are usually o.k. to dry fire, but do not do so without asking.

It seems these days that good manners are a thing of the past.

Thank you, seems good manners has diminished with my generation, I am 23.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am going to be going to a shop to look for a handgun (my first) :rockwoot: and am wondering when going through the handguns, what am i looking for when I am holding it.

I plan on taking a handgun training class when i get some free time from work and never really handled them except once, when i was younger.

Basically, i am wondering if i am able to feel the trigger feel and length of pull when holding it. I am almost positive i would have to remove magazine (if its installed) and clear the chamber to be positive it is not loaded.

I am sorry for the newbish questions, and I am sure its been asked many times already, but my Google-fu was not finding anything.

Thanks!

Hello from Merrillville.
    I don't know if you've tried this thread, its a general discussion thread for NWI.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/294268-nwi_ingo_general_post_part_6_a.html
    Go ahead and jump to the last page.
    I'm sure several people would go to a gun store with you.
    We also have Meet & Shoots. A good way to try out a weapon before you buy. Most people don't mind you trying out their weapon.

Remember, a weapon may feel fine in the shop, then you hate it when you fire it.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell

No need to apologize for asking a question like this.:) If you can't ask it here then where can you ask it?:yesway:

I don't have a lot to add to what has already been said except this - Don't feel bad about being a new gun owner. The fact that you are a new gun owner is great:rockwoot: Go ahead and be straight forward with the saleperson and let them know that you are new to this and that you can use all the help they are willing to offer as you look the gun over. If you let them know that you are new to it all then they will be very happy to show you all the features and talk you through it.

Follow, the safety rules of handling a gun (see my signature for those and follow them religiously even when you "know it's not loaded")) and enjoy the shopping process. Welcome to INGO and welcome to the world of firearms.:draw:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I'm sure you did, but remember that "pointing" doesn't just mean "looking down the barrel and aiming". If you're examining the slide and you turn 180 degrees to show your friend, you've just swept half the store. I've had many people say "Oh, but I didn't point it at you!" Yes, you did.

Originally Posted by XtremeVel
    Unless I missed it, keep your finger off the trigger also... Up to they give you permission to dry fire...
    He's referring to Col. Cooper's Four Rules of safe gun handling:
    RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
    Notice that there are no exceptions to the Four Rules. It doesn't say "unless you're at a gun store" or "unless you're sure you just unloaded it". The Four Rules are always in effect.

You're going to have a good time. Handle as many as you can before you decide which to buy.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    An example of why all of the above regarding personally check out the breech and mag of a handgun when you touch it.

I bought a 9mm semi auto at an auction last year. It was NIB unfired. They had four of them up for auction...on display (watched by a security guy) prior to the auction, then one was carried around the crowd during the bidding. I bought one of the four.

When the auction ended, the clerk did my background check (4473) and copied the serial number of my gun from the gun and the box onto my receipt. He then boxed it up and sent it home with me.

At home we took the gun out of the box, and racked the slide...and a live round jumps out...took the mag out and it was full (minus one round). How it got thru all the handling and shuffling at the auction is beyond me. I notified the auction house by phone ASAP. But I will say I am a lot more careful about checking that 'empty' gun now than I was prior to this event.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Unless it's a .22. It's not good to dry fire .22's IMHO.

The majority of modern rimfire firearms are able to be dry-fired without any issue, but a consultation of the owner's manual is generally in order to be sure. The key is "does this firearm have a firing pin stop?"

If so equipped, then dry-fire away. If not - chances are good that you ought not to.

For instance: Ruger rimfire firearms: Dryfire is absolutely no problem

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    An example of why all of the above regarding personally check out the breech and mag of a handgun when you touch it.

Exactly. I personally check every gun handed to me and then I check it again before I hand it back. I don't care if I just watched thirty other people check it. It takes two seconds to avoid a serious, possibly fatal injury.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    What are INGOs thoughts on dry firage. I know most modern center fires are ok with dry fire but... If you were a gun store would it be useful/beneficial to have snap caps available for customers to use?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

Thank you, I am going to be looking at the M&P9 C and shield as well as the SP2022 and maybe the Ruger SR9.

Thank you, seems good manners has diminished with my generation, I am 23.
    mp 9c has my vote, an excellent choice in firearms, you will be fine

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel

Thanks!

One more thing: Don't be afraid to tell the clerk that you don't know much about handguns. They will probably be more helpful if they know that you don't have much experience.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    OP everyone has given great advice so far. The only thing I would add is to do your own research on any gun you wish to buy. Your listed selections are all great quality pieces and it is clear you have good taste in guns or have done some research already. So good on you for that. What I'm trying to get at is that even at a reputable gun shop you are still dealing with a salesman. Especially if you tell them you are new they may try sway you into somthing you don't need or are not ready for. Most reputable gun shops will give advice but not try to push an opinion on you. If you ask to see Gun "X" and his reply is that is junk and what you need is Gun "Y" you should probably leave and find another shop. It is always good to bring somone with you who may know more than you just so this does not happen.

Happy shopping and don't forget to post pics of you purchase!

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I am taking my older brother wit me. He was an MP in the Army 6 years so he knows some about guns, so I'm not going completely blind.

Top Bottom