• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There has been some discussion of age estimation of bucks from trail cam photos in the Trail Cam Photos thread so I thought I'd start a thread with the basics of how to do it and some example photos to practice on.

Estimating a buck's age on the hoof is based on body characteristics that change as they age and their bodies develop. From a 1.5 year old buck that is virtually indistinguishable from a doe if you mentally remove the antlers to 5.5 year old that has a massive body that is starting to sag in the middle, a buck's age can be estimated fairly accurately to within an about a year of their actual age with some practice and clues to look for.

A few basics to keep in mind:
    1. The deer needs to be broadside or close to it and on fairly level ground for best accuracy.
    2. The buck also needs to be in the fall or winter with a swollen neck for clearest separation between ages.
    3. After 5.5 or 6.5 years the body changes stop being as predictable and buck's of this age can only be estimated based on familiarity.
    4. Estimating age has next to nothing to do with antler size or shape.

61a4f14b36e886a7eb76231d_aging-deer.jpg

aging-deer-on-hoof-090618.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you would like to practice aging bucks, take a look at these practice photos and post your best guess on the ages. After a time I'll post my answers based on my experience with the deer in the photo.

I_00131d.JPG

I_00024b.JPG

CDY_0244.JPG

I_00021a.JPG

CDY_0001.JPG

I_00165b.JPG
    I_01311b.JPG

I_00036c.JPG

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I pick door 7. Age? I don’t care! But I’ll guess 5-6. Nice one
    You sir, have excellent taste. I agree that he looks 5.5 or 6.5 however, I had enough history with him to know he was more like 8.5 or 9.5 and declining.

He was one of the more frustrating bucks I hunted. I had far more daylight photos of him than any other mature buck but never saw him other than photos.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You sir, have excellent taste. I agree that he looks 5.5 or 6.5 however, I had enough history with him to know he was more like 8.5 or 9.5 and declining.

He was one of the more frustrating bucks I hunted. I had far more daylight photos of him than any other mature buck but never saw him other than photos.
    He looks really in good shape and fit. Maybe a little run down from the rut, but I would not have guessed him that old. Maybe you will see his grandson this year!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    "Estimating age has next to nothing to do with antler size or shape."

I did not know this. Makes this exercise very interesting.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

He didn't get that old by being stupid.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    3.5 and older is a shooter IMHO.
    Haven't seen but two bucks like that the last 3 yrs (buddy shot both LOL).
    The body looks blockish, back and belly parallel.
    One dressed under, the other just over, 200#.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    He looks really in good shape and fit. Maybe a little run down from the rut, but I would not have guessed him that old. Maybe you will see his grandson this year!
    I had a few photos of a buck last year that was reminiscent of # 7's earlier racks. I'm not sure if he survived or not but if he did, he could be a giant this year.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    13 looks like the older of the pics

16 looks older too. Is the date right on this one. His neck looks big for September.
    Good catch on the date on 16, it should be October not September.

Bucks 2 and 13 are the same buck a year a part, I'm curious how old you think he was in photo #2?

16, 7, and 20 are the 3 oldest bucks in the photos. I'm not sure how old #20 was but a neighbor killed him that year and his teeth were severely worn. To me, his body doesn't really give any clues indicating his great age. The rack kind of has the look of one going downhill but it could just as easily have been poor genetics.

As for #16, depending on how old he was in #11, he is at least 7.5 years old in #16 and more than likely 8.5. I had photos of him for at least 5 years, the final year in 2020 I only had one photo and he was barely recognizable with both his rack and body clearly degraded from previous years.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Bucks 2 and 13 are the same buck a year a part, I'm curious how old you think he was in photo #2?
    I am not good at the age game. Pic 13 looked like his hips were loosing shape and his nose was slanted towards his eyes. That’s why I was thinking he was older. But pic 2 he looks like a prime 5 year old. IDK, but I do know that 7 is the champ!

The belly thing never seemed like an easy thing to age with off of a single still photo. Because of the fact that the buck is walking, standing, standing uphill/downhill.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    As for #16, depending on how old he was in #11, he is at least 7.5 years old in #16 and more than likely 8.5
    16 you can see his hip drop off and the hump created from his spine. He’s the kind that comes walking to a fight and needs a walker for assistance because his legs are all stiffed out and he’s about to fall down:fogey:

Top Bottom