EPA declares hay a pollutant in effort to drive small, mid-sized family cattle r

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhvostal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Allen County
    EPA declares hay a pollutant in effort to drive small, mid-sized family cattle ranchers out of business

The assault against American industry and individual livelihood continues -- and no, it is not coming from Al-Qaeda or other foreign terrorists. A recent report from R-CALF USA, an advocacy group for American cattle producers, says the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared harmless cattle hay a "pollutant," which is part of the agency's agenda to squelch family-scale cattle ranches in favor of corporately-owned, mega-sized feedlot operations.

EPA declares hay a pollutant in effort to drive small, mid-sized family cattle ranchers out of business

~ Brian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

The assault against American industry and individual livelihood continues -- and no, it is not coming from Al-Qaeda or other foreign terrorists. A recent report from R-CALF USA, an advocacy group for American cattle producers, says the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared harmless cattle hay a "pollutant," which is part of the agency's agenda to squelch family-scale cattle ranches in favor of corporately-owned, mega-sized feedlot operations.

~ Brian

Alot of the comments to that article are implying this is a "fake" story. I havent found anything proving it to be true

bhvostal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I looked over the Drovers essay and it still strikes me as if the EPA is stepping way over it's bounds on this one. Not that the EPA has ever done that before.

~ Brian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I apologize, maybe I'm not seeing it, but could you point me in the direction of the commentary suggesting this is a fake story. Thanks. Much appreciated.

~ Brian

"
    The news release says nothing about hay. How are we supposed to connect the FDA with labeling hay as a pollutant from this information? I'm no fan of the EPA, but this poorly reported article should have never seen the light of day. If we are going to fight for our rights as cattleman, we need to know and address the facts of the matter."

"
    While I don't for a minute disbelieve this article, it is void of any factual info. I can't write or call my congressman or senators without facts. It there a regulation number, case number or other documents I can reference?"

"I just went through the EPA website for an hour and found nothing to corroborate this story, but I did find a lot of reports encouraging the use of hay. This sounds eerily famiiar to the conservative propaganda that has been reported lately. A google search brings back a TON of conservative websites that are reporting this story...coincidence?"

im sure there are more ... :dunno:

bhvostal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Allen County
    "
    The news release says nothing about hay. How are we supposed to connect the FDA with labeling hay as a pollutant from this information? I'm no fan of the EPA, but this poorly reported article should have never seen the light of day. If we are going to fight for our rights as cattleman, we need to know and address the facts of the matter."

"
    While I don't for a minute disbelieve this article, it is void of any factual info. I can't write or call my congressman or senators without facts. It there a regulation number, case number or other documents I can reference?"

"I just went through the EPA website for an hour and found nothing to corroborate this story, but I did find a lot of reports encouraging the use of hay. This sounds eerily famiiar to the conservative propaganda that has been reported lately. A google search brings back a TON of conservative websites that are reporting this story...coincidence?"

im sure there are more ... :dunno:

Thanks. Much appreciated.

~ Brian

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Just kind of piecing it all together, I would guess he was cited for runoff from a hayfield after spreading manure. He may have had a lagoon that was leaking and he was spreading it as fast as he could or the lagoon was too small??? Just a guess though. The bolded part of the quote below is what leads me to believe this. If you google town, there is a river basin. Farmers get popped for runoff around here all the time. The ones that make the news involve fish kills.

Drovers CattleNetwork - EPA issues compliance orders - Cattle News - Editorial, Grain & Cattle Markets, Current Stories
    A.J. Jones, d/b/a Callicrate Feeding Company, St. Francis, Kan. – An inspection in February 2011 identified significant NPDES permit violations, including failure to maintain adequate wastewater storage capacity, failure to meet Nutrient Management Plan requirements, failure to conduct operations within areas that are controlled in a manner capable of preventing pollution, and failure to maintain adequate records. The order requires the operation to comply with all terms of the Clean Water Act and its NPDES permit, and to coordinate with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment on its compliance. The order requires the operation to comply with the terms of its Nutrient Management Plan, including sampling and recordkeeping requirements. The feedlot has a permitted capacity of 12,000 cattle and was confining approximately 3,219 cattle at the time of the inspection.

Here's the EPA order. http://media.cattlenetwork.com/documents/CWA-07-2011-0082+Callicrate+ACO.pdf

I'm in the ballpark. Point Source Runoff and he's probably claiming the hay is part of the management plan. He's not keepiing records of manure application, etc...

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Ron Paul: Abolish the EPA

"Eliminate the ineffective EPA. Polluters should answer directly to property owners in court for the damages they create – not to Washington."

-Ron Paul

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    "Eliminate the ineffective EPA. Polluters should answer directly to property owners in court for the damages they create – not to Washington."

-Ron Paul

But that would remove another stream of unearned revenue from big brother's bank account. How will we ever afford those congressional pay raises, extended unemployment benefits, welfare payment programs, etc without it?:n00b:

Note to the reader: If you're not seeing purple, you're eyes need examined. :D

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    EPA

I have also read the EPA would like to regulate DUST from farm fields in spring and fall.What planet are these guys from?:dunno:

BBill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Find out who in the EPA is bringing these silly rules and regulations up and "regulate" them!!

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Hey Guys - there are no pending rules to regulate dust from farm fields and there are no pending regs on hay or animal feed. I disagree with a number and depth of the rules and how a number of the requirements puts an unnecessary burden on industry. However, a number of the rules have their place in our society. People argue for state rights in establishing state rules. This would be a nightmare for companies having regional facilites since more than likely each state would have a number of different regulations and I would bet that some states would opt of of environmental compliance. How would you like to live downstream from the IP&L coal fired power plant on Harding Street if they were allowed to bypass their SO2 scrubbers and baghouses? Or live east of a cement kiln which burns both coal and hazardous waste where the kiln could by-pass their electrostatic precipitators?

Top Bottom