• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Plinker
    Sep 13, 2010
    I looking to pick up a basic muzzle loader for deer season this year. I am looking for something that is cheep as there are a lot of other guns on my list. What are features that I should no skimp on? What makes/models would you recommend? Can you suggest places to pick up second-hand muzzle loaders?

Thanks!

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    This is a good entry level gun.
    Traditions Timber Ridge .50-Caliber Muzzleloader
    They are very accurate out to 150yds or so, and can be found for around $100 on sale.

maarlborogto

Plinker
    Aug 26, 2010
    they got really good deals on sportsmans guide.com or just have them send a cataloge to you and bass pro shops have a decient hunting sale in the fall. And you can also try walmart the ones that still sell guns they usually got good muzzloader deals there or any of thoes places

Topher

Plinker
    Sep 13, 2010
    I've been looking at local gun shops for a second hand gun, but it seems that one doesnt save much getting a used muzzle loader. I'll keep my eye out for the fall hunting sales.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I looking to pick up a basic muzzle loader for deer season this year. I am looking for something that is cheep as there are a lot of other guns on my list. What are features that I should no skimp on? What makes/models would you recommend? Can you suggest places to pick up second-hand muzzle loaders?

Thanks!

T/C 50 cal Hawken rifle. I see them in the classifieds here for next to nothing all the time.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    We just got some T/C Impact muzzleloaders in at the store. I REALLY like the feel of this gun. It's shorter than most which makes it handy in the woods, and the weight and balance is just right. I've always wanted a TC, and this one is a beauty. I was just going to get a CVA gun to replace my Remington Genesis, but after fondling the Impact, it's for certain my next muzzleloader. T/C quality is first rate, so this one should be nice.

Cost is either $220 or $230, I can't remember which off the top of my head.

Topher

Plinker
    Sep 13, 2010
    T/C 50 cal Hawken rifle. I see them in the classifieds here for next to nothing all the time.

I can't seem to find used guns advertised anywhere (other than here on the forum, and a very limited selection at local stores)
    Also what do you consider next to nothing? I'm trying to get a feel for what a good price is.

THanks for the help:rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I can't seem to find used guns advertised anywhere (other than here on the forum, and a very limited selection at local stores)
    Also what do you consider next to nothing? I'm trying to get a feel for what a good price is.

THanks for the help:rockwoot:

This is what I'm talk'n 'bout.
    Muzzleloaders - Traditional Flint Lock And Cap Lock Rifles - Thompson/Center
    THAT IS muzzle loader hunting.

Right here is what I would call NIB pricing.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/78187-thompson_center_hawken_rifle.html

This was LISTED at $75, not a Thompson but you could sure kill deer with it. Might have to put a couple hours in to it but they do looke nice.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/71962-cabelas_investarms_hawken-_50_a.html

$175? For a Thompson? Hawken? 54? Prices like that for a gun that nice make my ears perk up and I already own one.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/70944-thompson_center_54cal_hawken.html

$125 there exactly what you need. Top quality gun, top manufacture, excellant price. That's worth driving over with a stack of 20's and take a good look at it. If the seller has a powder measure, flask, line capper, NIPPLE WRENCH, ball starter, may be some speed loaders, make sure the ram rod is there and good, probably a cleaning jag.

Pull the nipple out and shine a light in there to look down the barrel. If it's already loaded I'd offer half that asking price. BP is corrosive and sitting in there for who knows how long isn't good but may not have destoyed it. At $75 you could still buy a new GM stainless barrel and out shoot most of these fancy new inlines.

Get todays paper and look throught the yard and garage sales. Every one thinks they need the last thing they saw in the new Gander Mtn catalogue and the guns are like a neighbor kid that looks like you now.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/55096-wts-thompson_center_hawken.html

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Breakopen or Drop Breech (makes capping and cleaning much easier). Walmart and Dicks are good place to handle some M/L. I bought a Traditions Yukon Package (scope and rifle) @ Wal-Mart for 150.00 on Sale 2 years ago. If you want to get into M/L inexpensively get a package (scope, rifle and start kit).

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The Wolf break actions are nice, but the CVA bobcats are downright cheap. And I've got two deer with mine. One was a 90 yd shot, and the ball went RIGHT where I wanted it to. Don't underestimate them.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have an older CVA Optima which I bought at Rural King for something like $150 new(?). It is accurate and all I need.

clfergus

Expert
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Wally world has some great prices on CVA Wolf. I wanna say 169.99 I saw. I picked up a T/C omega after suggestions from other members. It just feel good and the quality finish wise looked better to me than CVA. Probably be the last Muzzleloader I ever buy and at 277.00 I thought it was a deal.

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    I would only offer these suggestions. If you are looking CHEAP, buy cheap new and dont expect it to perform well past a few seasons, or be as reliable/accurate out of the box as some better models. DO NOT BUY A USED MUZZY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM AND HOW IT WAS USED. Too many people let them sit uncleaned or stored improperly and they foul/damage the barrel and components which only means spending more money to correct the issues. That being said, I am not saying go out and spend 600.00 in order to get reliability and performance. I and a few friends purchased the Omega Z5's at Dicks's a few seasons ago for 300. They are clean, have the thumbhole stock, all weather finish (which is nice when it comes to late season hunting weather) and quality parts are available for replacement or adaptation. A modest investment coupled with a solid load, practice, proper cleaning/storage etc, should mean lots of dead deer from your Muzzy and you won't need to replace it in 3 years. If you shoot Pellets it is more simple but expect more cleaning and time after the shot. I shoot 100gr BH209 with 240Gr XTP and crushrib sabots. Phenomenal velocities and sub-3" groups at 150yds all day long, some days are much better.

Do it right, or don't do it. pay attention to details and you will appreciate all of your effors when it comes to Muzzeloading.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    If your still interested in an inexpensive, but fairly accurate muzzleloader, check Cabela's Bargain Cave right now, they have the Traditions TimberRidge .50 Cal in line muzzleloader for sale at: $89.99 plus shipping. I have one, I believe the original price is $180.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My wife and kids just got me that Traditions Timber Ridge .50 in line for Christmas. Cabelas had them on clearance for under $100. I know one other friend who just got one also. It seems like a good gun, nothing at all fancy, but if your chasing deer in the woods and thickets it is a perfect gun for the job. All synthetic.
    On the other hand, I bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle a couple months ago. It is very nice looking and I finished the stock up making it even better. It is almost too pretty to bang around in the woods.

Top Bottom