• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I tried it again and the link worked... Old computer has problems sometimes. Looks very safe and a good job. Lot of detail.

The more expensive a system and the more work you do the more likely the power will not go out... Go figure...

BTW if you use the existing ground rod you should use a separate ground clamp. Not 2 wires in the same clamp. Just for people following the thread.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I haven't read through all responses on this subject but I believe I have a similar setup you are referring to.

I've written a pretty extensive picture oriented user guide so my wife could get the thing up and running. She's very electrically challenged so I know if she can understand it I'm confident it's written well enough for most.

If anyone wants to read my user guide here is a link to my cloud. The hyperlink will take you to a folder on my cloud that has a word and PDF.
    https://app.box.com/s/0prtj2s2zok1ft8il8bf

I can't speak for Propane but using natural gas I use a starting fluid when the temps are below 50 degrees. I spray a shot of carb cleaner into the air filter prior to starting.

Here's my equipment:
    Portable generator from Harbor Freight
    Tri-Fuel conversion. (Using natural gas for fuel)
    Enclosure to house generatorar
    Tail pipe to vent generator outside of enclosure
    Kill switch to kill generator if inside temps of enclosure reaches 85C / 185F
    HR/RPM meter
    Battery for push button start
    1.5 watt solar charger to maintain battery charge
    Breaker panel interlock switch that I made.
    85 db buzzer that buzzes when the power is restored.

Read your instructions.
    For most electrically challenged, this is too complicated.
    Especially if the last time they performed it was 2yrs ago, trying to accomplish this during a raging winter snow storm, with 10 degree wind chill or after dark during a monsoon. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Read your instructions.
    For most electrically challenged, this is too complicated.
    Especially if the last time they performed it was 2yrs ago, trying to accomplish this during a raging winter snow storm, with 10 degree wind chill or after dark during a monsoon. My 2 cents.

I think you are assuming an awful lot of incompetence for people you don't know.

for 1,000 dollars MORE than what I will have in my set up. and doesn't include installation.

I understand the automatics are nice, they are easy to recommend, and they work for lazy people, old people, rich people, incompetent people, and lots of others.... My wife and I are smart, economical, not afraid of some discomfort, and on a budget.

I also can get LOTS of use out of my generator. I can take it camping, move it by hand w/out equipment, use it in the field, power the barn with it. my 500 dollar investment is MUCH more versatile than that 2500 dollar investment of a standby.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I tried it again and the link worked... Old computer has problems sometimes. Looks very safe and a good job. Lot of detail.

The more expensive a system and the more work you do the more likely the power will not go out... Go figure...

BTW if you use the existing ground rod you should use a separate ground clamp. Not 2 wires in the same clamp. Just for people following the thread.

Please explain why a separate ground clamp for a 2nd ground wire vs. two wires into one ground clamp.
    Is that a code violation?

Installing a 2nd ground clamp is easy to do too and minimal cost.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Please explain why a separate ground clamp for a 2nd ground wire vs. two wires into one ground clamp.
    Is that a code violation?

Installing a 2nd ground clamp is easy to do too and minimal cost.

2 wires to one terminal. Was in a hurry a couple years ago and only had one clamp. BTW I am not a pro. Just done some stuff. Inspector flagged it. I guess it is along the same line as 2 wires under one terminal on a breaker or lug. The theory is it does not grab both wires with the same torque. One will be tighter than the other. I was supprised the inspector went over the ground rods, but it is his job...

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I think you are assuming an awful lot of incompetence for people you don't know.

for 1,000 dollars MORE than what I will have in my set up. and doesn't include installation.

I understand the automatics are nice, they are easy to recommend, and they work for lazy people, old people, rich people, incompetent people, and lots of others.... My wife and I are smart, economical, not afraid of some discomfort, and on a budget.

I also can get LOTS of use out of my generator. I can take it camping, move it by hand w/out equipment, use it in the field, power the barn with it. my 500 dollar investment is MUCH more versatile than that 2500 dollar investment of a standby.

I said most, I did not say you or your family. I base this on dealing with employees over the past 40 years. YMMV.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    used the 15% off bag sale at menards and picked all this up. I think I pretty much got everything but a small section of generator wire. less than 100 bucks. I did buy the wrong outdoor cover, and they didn't give me the 15% on the 10/3 wire, so I am going to have to go back.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I can't recall exactly but I think I ended up purchasing the cord via Amazon as it was cheaper to get a 50 amp cord with the correct connectors vs. purchase and assemble myself. Plus you want stranded wire too.

That is what I did... I picked up a generator cord from menards. That way you do not have live exposed ends on an extension cord. And can use it for an extension for something else. BTW 10 /3 is only rated at 30 amps anyway. Need to go up to 6 gauge for 50 amps.
    One of these...
    http://www.menards.com/main/electri...r-power-cord-120-240-vac-30-amp/p-1473726.htm

You can get a generator plug for hooking to the house.

This one is at lowes... Kind of expensive. Might find it at menards for half price.

Shop Reliance 30-Amp Generator Power Inlet Box at Lowes.com

Lets see if this pic will work.... Well huge pic...
    851890000089.jpg

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Why is 10/3 to small? That's what all the installations I have read about use. And my generator will only put out 30 amps.
    It would be too small to make a 50 amp cord. 10/3 wire would be fine for your generator.

OK... Now that I look at your picture you may have a 50 amp twistlock and a 30 amp twistlock. One looks bigger than the other. Or maybe it is the color of the prongs.

Last edited:

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I think I mixed in JD's post about making a 50 amp cord. So for your 30 amp cord 10/3 is fine. Technically you should go with a 10/4 to keep the ground isolated. Might see what you can get a complete cord for vs making one. It may be used in the rain and the molded ones are more water tight.

Top Bottom