• ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Email I just received here at the shop:

"I have a Mossberg 810 ASMH in 30-06. I have some Remington Core Lokt 165 grain ammo.
    The rifle looks to be in very good condition. The barrel is clean. The riflings look crisp with sharp edges.
    My question is: What size of a grouping should I expect to get with this rifle ?? By grouping I mean 5 shots at 100 yards either in MOA or Extreme Spread in inches. I'm NOT looking for a guarantee. I'm only looking for a ball park idea for when I take it out to sight it in.

The rifle has a newer (made in last 10 years) Tasco 3-9X40 rifle scope Made in China on it.

Thank you"

I'll include my response as well:

There is absolutely no way I can give you an estimate without:

1. Having the rifle in my hands
    2. Actually shooting the rifle

Far too many variables and I cannot in good faith even begin to give you an idea. The biggest variable is the person pulling the trigger.

Best of luck

What say you INGO?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

"I have a Mossberg 810 ASMH in 30-06. I have some Remington Core Lokt 165 grain ammo.
    The rifle looks to be in very good condition. The barrel is clean. The riflings look crisp with sharp edges.
    My question is: What size of a grouping should I expect to get with this rifle ?? By grouping I mean 5 shots at 100 yards either in MOA or Extreme Spread in inches. I'm NOT looking for a guarantee. I'm only looking for a ball park idea for when I take it out to sight it in.

The rifle has a newer (made in last 10 years) Tasco 3-9X40 rifle scope Made in China on it.

Thank you"

Far too many variables and I cannot in good faith even begin to give you an idea. The biggest variable is the person pulling the trigger.

Best of luck

What say you INGO?
    Your reply should just say “shoot it and find out.“

Or better yet “give it to me because you’re too much of an idiot to own it”

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Thank you"

Best of luck

What say you INGO?
    I would tell him,
    You don't have much, so I wouldn't expect much. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

elvis-presley-smh.gif

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    IMO there's a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I can fix ignorance with knowledge, education and mentoring.

This particular email, again, IMO is based off ignorance. The thing is, ignorance in today's day and age is quickly curable. I find myself ignorant on many subjects nowadays....especially when it involves technology and slang.

When I posted this I should have worded it in a manner that was inquiring to the rifle. While there are many variables pertaining to the question, including the shooter's ability, I'm interested in INGOs thoughts on how they would respond given the information provided.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

Thank you"

Best of luck

What say you INGO?
    I think you were more than gracious by even replying to this question.

However, since you did reply, I think you missed an opportunity to refer this person to some sort of basic rifle class like Revere's Riders offers. The person asking these questions obviously don't have much of a clue about what they have, what they need, or quite possibly even how to operate it.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Agreed

#1 variable is the shooter
    #2 is the Chinese scope and I would assume cheap rings with perhaps a questionable install job

The Mossberg 810 is a nice rifle, I doubt it's the gun

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I think you were more than gracious by even replying to this question.

However, since you did reply, I think you missed an opportunity to refer this person to some sort of basic rifle class like Revere's Riders offers. The person asking these questions obviously don't have much of a clue about what they have, what they need, or quite possibly even how to operate it.
    His reply:

Thanks Brett. I understand. I've just never owned a Mossberg 810 ASMH before. I own a lot of Rugers and a Tikka, Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, and a Sig in 30-06. My Ruger M77's average around 1.5 inch groups.

Seems like he has a grasp on rifles. No pun intended.

Maybe a disconnect on my ability to diagnose from Indiana; side note, the individual is in Oregon.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    His reply:

Thanks Brett. I understand. I've just never owned a Mossberg 810 ASMH before. I own a lot of Rugers and a Tikka, Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, and a Sig in 30-06. My Ruger M77's average around 1.5 inch groups.

Seems like he has a grasp on rifles. No pun intended.

Maybe a disconnect on my ability to diagnose from Indiana; side note, the individual is in Oregon.
    Yeah, a little more context (and honestly if he'd just asked if you had any experience with this particular make/model of rifle and what could one generally expect from them overall might have been better off) in his first email would have been helpful, but he was probably trying to keep it concise.

Just curious, is this someone who had you do work before/knew you or of you, or just picked you randomly from an internet search to ask this question of?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Yeah, a little more context (and honestly if he'd just asked if you had any experience with this particular make/model of rifle and what could one generally expect from them overall might have been better off) in his first email would have been helpful, but he was probably trying to keep it concise.

Just curious, is this someone who had you do work before/knew you or of you, or just picked you randomly from an internet search to ask this question of?
    Random person/message. No idea who they are....

Top Bottom