• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A recent decision of the 4th appellate court in Georgia established that open carry alone does not constitute probable cause for detaining a citizen.

http://www.steakleylawfirm.com/inde...a-firearm-isn-t-pc-to-detain-says-4th-circuit

This is a fairly recent decision, as best I can determine, but it establishes that the officers in this instance were required to have some indication that the man was about to commit a before they were justified in detaining him. Since the only probable cause they had, as far as we can see, was the OC, they violated the law.

The key statement sin the decision, as I understand it, are:

“Third, it is undisputed that under the laws of North Carolina, which permit its residents to openly carry firearms . . . Troupe’s gun was legally possessed and displayed. The Government contends that because other laws prevent convicted felons from possessing guns, the officers could not know whether Troupe was lawfully in possession of the gun until they performed a records check. . . . We are not persuaded. Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.” (Emphasis mine).

Further,

"the Supreme Court has ‘consistently held that a refusal to cooperate, without more, does not furnish the minimal level of objective justification needed for a detention or seizure.’ "

Finally,

"For these reasons, Mr. Black’s seizure was not reasonable. Accordingly, the decision to deny Mr. Black’s suppression motion was reversed. Rather than remand for further proceedings, the court of appeals vacated Mr. Black’s sentence.

This case, United States v. Black, can be found here."

http://www.fedagent.com/columns/cas...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

IANAL and I do not know the the date of this recent decision. The ruling may be new and the officers in question may not be fully informed of its application, but the ruling certainly applies to situations like this—at least in an Open Carry state, which I think Indiana is.

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You can not OC in the state of Indiana without a LTCH. That court ruling is for state that have OC without a permit/license which does not apply to Indiana.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Indiana is not an "open carry state," that would require it to be constitutional open carry. For Indiana, you must have a LTCH, therefore the 4th circuit's ruling would not apply to us. The officers in question acted in a legal manner. They were not required to ask for his LTCH, but they did have the authority. The OCer, did not have to give his LTCH, but burden if proof is his to show that he is legally allowed to carry a firearm. Unfortunately, the Constitution does not hold weight with being able to carry and you are supposed to have the little pink slip.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Cant we get a ruling from one of the fine leos on here? I mean we can debate this all day but it ends up coming down to what an leo does. I'm sure they could tell us what normal protocol for this situation is.

Sharkie308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I had a nice long conversation with a local Chief of police here in northern Indiana. After shaking his head and laughing his first questions was at what point did something illegal happen besides him refusing to show proof? It is Indiana state law that you have to have an LTCH to carry. As has been stated many times carrying in itself is a crime and allows LEO's to question your legality. When questioned about it you are required to show proof of legality if you don't you need to provide identification if they request so they can call it in if they choose to do so. Refusing to do so in itself is a misdemeanor.

The OP posted the second paragraphed copied from youtube. He didn't quote it but that's the story the poster of the video put on youtube. The party who's OC was being questioned has taken it to various FB gun boards and supposedly interviewed with Casey on the Bear. To what point? I don't know he was in the wrong.

There are many simple solutions to this problem and all have been posted. Write letters and makes calls to the guys that make our laws and try to get them changed. Or man up and cooperate and obey the law. I know cops can be Dbags at times but they do have a job to do. They don't make the rules. Overpaid Suits that supposedly represent our interests do. Let them know you want things changed.

Oh I don't know if anyone bothered to read the comments on the video but 4-5 bits of case law were supposedly proving that the LEO's were in the wrong. Sadly none of the case law had anything to do with this situation and couldn't be applied.

I personally feel the officer that took the time to go to his cruiser to retrieve his dictionary for the cameraman should be given props. Not only is he serving as a protector but a teacher as well. :) I'm pro carry of course and as it's been said. Be smart. With the way things have been lately with all the shootings, bombings and bad press on firearms we need to be dignitaries not rebels and represent our cause in a positive way.

Sharkie308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    We have had some LEOs weigh in.

The police were justified in asking for the LTCH.

they were not justified in seizing his firearm or wallet though IMO.

Not 100% sure on this but at the time a person is detained they are able to do so. Forgot to ask the CoP that one I can ask tomorrow if needed.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    What if you encounter an officer with a hair up their ass, and after handing them/showing them the LTCH, they want to verify that it's yours? So they ask for ID... or call it in...?

Do you flash the LTCH, or hand it to them? What's required of you?

I have a thread on this "-1 Noblesville Officer Noname" or something alone this lines. Well, as long as your ID is not suspended :stickpoke::stickpoke: it would end the encounter quicker if you hand it over. I didn't and he decided to be a complete jerk and held my LTCH hostage while he lectured me. They don't need picture ID to verify the license, and you are in no way obliged to give them picture ID or DL. You simply have to have a valid license, the law does not say you have to have a valid license, and carry 2nd or 3rd identifying documents to prove it is actually yours. You aren't applying for a passport :D

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Indiana is not an "open carry state," that would require it to be constitutional open carry. For Indiana, you must have a LTCH, therefore the 4th circuit's ruling would not apply to us. The officers in question acted in a legal manner. They were not required to ask for his LTCH, but they did have the authority. The OCer, did not have to give his LTCH, but burden if proof is his to show that he is legally allowed to carry a firearm. Unfortunately, the Constitution does not hold weight with being able to carry and you are supposed to have the little pink slip.

Section 32. Arms--Right to bear

Section 32. The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Indiana is a right to bear arms State so you have every legal right to bear arms. There is no law against Open Carry and the only regulation is that you have to have an LTCH.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

Open Carry in and of itself is not an infraction or ordinance violation and there is no requirement to produce an LTCH.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Giving your LTCH is not "identifying" yourself, so that code you just posted does not apply to your argument. You won't be charged with "refusal to identify" for not handing over your LTCH, or giving them your info so they can call it in. You will be charged for carrying without a license....... and then you can go to court and have it dismissed. You absolutely do have to either show LTCH or give them your license # so they can look it up.

You are sadly mistaken with your earlier post as well. There IS a law about carrying a handgun. It is by default illegal to carry a handgun off private property owned by you or someone who consents to your carrying. The EXCEPTION to the law is that the person is licensed, and the burden of proof is on the licensee. So an officer has the ability to stop and ask for an LTCH. Since we no longer HAVE to carry the LTCH, you can give them your license number for them to call it in.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    :n00b:
    They were justified when he would not prove he was a licensed individual.

So, guilty until proven innocent? What infraction did he commit for these officers to even want to see his ltch anyway? Ocing is not against the law, and I have yet seen an IC that says we have to show it, if asked, for simply OCing.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

Open Carry in and of itself is not an infraction or ordinance violation and there is no requirement to produce an LTCH.

Carrying a handgun is against the law in Indiana. The exception to that is if you have an LTCH

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    :n00b:

So, guilty until proven innocent? What infraction did he commit for these officers to even want to see his ltch anyway? Ocing is not against the law, and I have yet seen an IC that says we have to show it, if asked, for simply OCing.

Where are you getting that information? Indiana has no constitutional carry laws. We have an infringement in the form of a license. It is by default ILLEGAL to carry a handgun, and there are numerous exceptions. Such as being licensed, being an LEO, and being on your own property to name three. Yes, you are guilty until proven innocent, because you have to prove you are exempted from the law.

I don't agree with it, and wish the fourth circuit ruling would be applied nationally, and every state became Constituional Carry again, however that probably wont happen. So we have to get used to it. But people need to stop thinking they don't have to prove they are licensed, because you do. You don't have to prove the license is YOURS, you simply have to carry the license, OR memorize the license number and it has to be valid. No ID for matching proof is required. No matter how cranky the LEO gets :D

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Where are you getting that information? Indiana has no constitutional carry laws. We have an infringement in the form of a license. It is by default ILLEGAL to carry a handgun, and there are numerous exceptions. Such as being licensed, being an LEO, and being on your own property to name three. Yes, you are guilty until proven innocent, because you have to prove you are exempted from the law.

What IC states you have to prove you have a LTCH? There is not one, you cant drive a car without a license, cops dont stop you to check your license without a reason, same should apply for someone with a gun. No, you are not guilty until proven innocent, you live in america, right? Thats not how it works, maybe thats how you and some others want it to work, but by LAW, no dont think so.

Top Bottom