Electrical folks - brown conduit and boxes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Been busy at Casa de Director this summer. Removed our old deck, had a concrete patio poured, and then spent about 50 hours assembling our gazebo kit. It is pretty awesome, if I say so myself. Sitting under it as a type this.

Next phase is 110V power for our bluetooth speakers, laptop charger (benefit of working remote), and ceiling fan. I've got it all mapped out, save one sticking point: for the life of me, I cannot find BROWN flexible conduit and boxes. Anyone have a source for such a thing? I've checked MCMaster-Carr, Grainger, Greybar, and all the big-box stores. Grey appears to be standard. Blue is common. Might even be able to get black (that might work for me, in a pinch).

Found a manufacturer of brown (Atkore), but they wholesale only. Can't find a distributor, other than one in Florida. I may drop them a note, just in case.

How does one run surface conduit without it sticking out like a sore thumb?

I can run a lot of it mostly hidden in the eaves of the gazebo. But, still have to go up a post, still have to have boxes exposed, and still have to run a section up a rafter for the ceiling fan. Grey just won't cut it, and blue would be spectacularly bad.

Any secret sources? Interesting ideas?

Pic for inspiration
    IMG_0351[5568].jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Been busy at Casa de Director this summer. Removed our old deck, had a concrete patio poured, and then spent about 50 hours assembling our gazebo kit. It is pretty awesome, if I say so myself. Sitting under it as a type this.

Next phase is 110V power for our bluetooth speakers, laptop charger (benefit of working remote), and ceiling fan. I've got it all mapped out, save one sticking point: for the life of me, I cannot find BROWN flexible conduit and boxes. Anyone have a source for such a thing? I've checked MCMaster-Carr, Grainger, Greybar, and all the big-box stores. Grey appears to be standard. Blue is common. Might even be able to get black (that might work for me, in a pinch).

Found a manufacturer of brown (Atkore), but they wholesale only. Can't find a distributor, other than one in Florida. I may drop them a note, just in case.

How does one run surface conduit without it sticking out like a sore thumb?

I can run a lot of it mostly hidden in the eaves of the gazebo. But, still have to go up a post, still have to have boxes exposed, and still have to run a section up a rafter for the ceiling fan. Grey just won't cut it, and blue would be spectacularly bad.

Any secret sources? Interesting ideas?

Pic for inspiration
    View attachment 210517
    What size boxes? Home depot and Menards used to carry brown metal boxes. They may call it Bronze though. The conduit will need painted.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    That looks like the Costco kit. I think they used to have a wiring kit for it?
    I would run the wiring inside the post and flush mount the outlets vs. mounting the box on the surface. JMO.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does the paint actually stick to the flexible conduit? I've never had luck with painting plastics, but maybe that's the ticket.

The bronze boxes posted up-thread would work great. They would be the most visible, with a clear weather-proof cover.

It is a Yardistry gazebo kit from Costco. No wiring kits I know of. Some youtube vids of folks wiring various things. The posts are hollow for about the first 4 feet or so, then solid towards the top. Of course, I want outlets at the top.

I'll grab a rattle can and do some test sprays, and see how well it covers and sticks, once I have a section of flex conduit to work with. Might even run out today and pick some up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Does the paint actually stick to the flexible conduit? I've never had luck with painting plastics, but maybe that's the ticket.

The bronze boxes posted up-thread would work great. They would be the most visible, with a clear weather-proof cover.

It is a Yardistry gazebo kit from Costco. No wiring kits I know of. Some youtube vids of folks wiring various things. The posts are hollow for about the first 4 feet or so, then solid towards the top. Of course, I want outlets at the top.

I'll grab a rattle can and do some test sprays, and see how well it covers and sticks, once I have a section of flex conduit to work with. Might even run out today and pick some up.
    As mentioned, get paint that's made for plastics and you should be fine. It's not like the flexible conduit will be moving around once it's in place.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Go to an automotive store, (Pepboy's has the best selection) and look at the interior spray paint. They have products that are specifically made to prep and primer plastics. They really help to bond the paint. I have used them when redoing the interiors of a couple trucks when new parts weren't available and have had good results.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I work daily with conduit, mostly 3/4- 1 1/4" emt. It is common practice to have one of my helpers go back and paint the pipe to match its surroundings as per customer specs.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    One key to painting plastic. Sanding. Sand it down really good until it’s all a mat consistent color, then a good primer and paint. The better you sand the better the paint will stick. I like around 600 grit paper for that, leaves enough tooth for the paint but smooth enough not to show through.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    As far as prepping the plastic goes, you can use a gray or a red scotchbrite, and comet cleaner to sand. The paint will stick to that. If you wanna go the extra step, get some aerosol adhesion promoter to put on before your color coat.

Top Bottom