• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I don't think you understand what torque is.
    I get it. But differently. It requires more torque to move the larger fastener, requiring a larger driveshaft.
    The smaller fastener is bought home at less torque.

I understand torque. 2 weeks ago I checked my click wrenches in a vice with a weight. They are less accurate than beam wrenches as they wear.
    My 1/4 inch torque wrench needs replaced.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I get it. But differently. It requires more torque to move the larger fastener, requiring a larger driveshaft.

I understand torque. 2 weeks ago I checked my click wrenches in a vice with a weight. They are less accurate than beam wrenches as they wear.
    That requires a tool capable of more torque.

Any tool is only capable of providing an X amount of torque, and if it's a cordless impact driver, it will not provide any more torque than it's capable of, no matter what it's attached to.
    If the adapter is capable of matching or exceeding the torque of the tool applying the torque, and the fastener requires a higher torque, the tool will stall. The tool can not increase it's torque, just because a larger attachment is used with that tool.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    That requires a tool capable of more torque.

Any tool is only capable of providing an X amount of torque, and if it's a cordless impact driver, it will not provide any more torque than it's capable of, no matter what it's attached to.
    If the adapter is capable of matching or exceeding the torque of the tool applying the torque, and the fastener requires a higher torque, the tool will stall. The tool can not increase it's torque, just because a larger attachment is used with that tool.
    1710701714041.png

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It will only reach the torque required to remove the fastener. A smaller fastener may release at 35 fps, a larger one 55fbs. A stuck fastener, more.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I don't think you understand what torque is.
    No, I do.

I’m not saying that the torque supplied by the driver to the load is different. I am saying the torque generated within the shaft between the input and load is multiplied by the larger end. Kind of like a sway bar on a car, if you make the ends longer, they will cause more torque across the sway bar.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My Dewalt 1/4" impact is 1800 fbs. It's probably never reached that number because I don't run a bolt home and stay on it until I burn it up or something breaks.
    The Milwaukee bit in the video broke at 689 fbs, 1/3 the amount my Dewalt is rated. The Milwaukee bit never reached 1800 fts.

Lpherr

Occupied
    No, I do.

I’m not saying that the torque supplied by the driver to the load is different. I am saying the torque generated within the shaft between the input and load is multiplied by the larger end. Kind of like a sway bar on a car, if you make the ends longer, they will cause more torque across the sway bar.
    See, you do not understand torque.

Simply put...
    Torque is the required force to rotate an object about it's axis.

By your logic, top fuel cars would have 24" drive shafts and 12" axles because that would increase the torque of the engine.
    Simply incorrect.

Sway bars are torsional deflection, not torque.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

And for some application's a click is worthless, I never bought a click 1/4 over, the only time I used a 1/4 is when setting the crush on a pinion gear. And the beam fits well with that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Curious as to why you need to use a 1/2" drive socket to begin with. The tool will not produce enough torque to break a 1/4". or 3/8" socket. If this is a concern, they have a new invention referred to as "impact sockets".
    Think long, 3/4" nuts and bolts which have just enough tension that I cannot thread them by hand. Was thinking it would be a great job for my 1/4" impact to feed them on and snug them up before I tighten by hand. Unfortunately, I don't have the needed adapter and figured I'd look for advice on a better brand before buying again.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have a fool proof method for stuck. Heat it cherry red, quench it completely with a garden hose. I can usually remove it with my fingers after a 1/4 turn.

Off topic but put that in your back pocket.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    See, you do not understand torque.

Simply put...
    Torque is the required force to rotate an object about it's axis.

By your logic, top fuel cars would have 24" drive shafts and 12" axles because that would increase the torque of the engine.
    Simply incorrect.

Sway bars are torsional deflection, not torque.
    OK, you win the battle of terminology. The amount of torque causes an amount of torsional deflection - tomatoe/tamatoe

I'm saying the diameters of the input vs output will cause more or less torque torsional deflection across the shaft.
    Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the Earth". Just as a linear force is a push or a pull applied to a body, a torque can be thought of as a twist applied to an object with respect to a chosen point.
    So if my chosen point is 1/2" from the center of the shaft, I can expert twice the force torsional deflection than I can 1/4" from the center with the same amount of force on the end.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Think long, 3/4" nuts and bolts which have just enough tension that I cannot thread them by hand. Was thinking it would be a great job for my 1/4" impact to feed them on and snug them up before I tighten by hand. Unfortunately, I don't have the needed adapter and figured I'd look for advice on a better brand before buying again.
    If you're just running them down, the adapter shouldn't be breaking, but I recommend an impact adapter. They are hardened and heat treated for use for impact tools. Be sure to get one with a radius as opposed to the filet (90degree).

Something similar to these. You can choose the brand you prefer.

1710704398208.png

Lpherr

Occupied
    OK, you win the battle of terminology. The amount of torque causes an amount of torsional deflection - tomatoe/tamatoe

I'm saying the diameters of the input vs output will cause more or less torque torsional deflection across the shaft.

So if my chosen point is 1/2" from the center of the shaft, I can expert twice the force torsional deflection than I can 1/4" from the center with the same amount of force on the end.
    Now you have the two mixed together.

Torsional deflection is not torque.
    It's a transferred energy. As the car leans to the left, it applies weight to that side of the sway bar and causes the bar to twist. This action transfers load from the outside tires (which are experiencing most of the force) to the inside tires. That leverage provides more grip throughout the turn. The inside tires now take on more of the work and share the load more evenly across all four contact patches.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    3/4 dry threads, 200-450 fts depending on grade.* I suspect it's the sudden stop as the bit reaches it's failure rate. A Dewalt or that cheap Menards bit should keep you out of the failure zone.

*From a fastener torque chart.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Torsional deflection is not torque.
    1710705166852.png
    If r is bigger keeping F the same, t goes up.

Repeating myself ad nausium without comprehension.

According to my Mechanical PE friend, I am correct.

So if my chosen point is 1/2" from the center (r) of a shaft, I can cause twice the torsional deflection than I can 1/4" from the center with the same amount of force.

A 1 foot long breaker bar can twist an extension twice as far as a 6" breaker bar exerting the same amount of force to the end of it.

Lpherr

Occupied
    The amount of torque causes an amount of torsional deflection.

Repeating myself ad nausium without comprehension.

According to my Mechanical PE friend, I am correct.

So if my chosen point is 1/2" from the center of a shaft, I can cause twice the torsional deflection than I can 1/4" from the center with the same amount of force.

A 1 foot long breaker bar can twist an extension twice as far as a 6" breaker bar exerting the same amount of force to the end of it.
    You're all over the place.

I can only explain it to you; I can't understand it for you.

The horse and water dilemma.:dunno:

I won't be using your mechanic friend.

Top Bottom