• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Apparently. So what's the job that I'm incorrectly using my tools on? Clearly I've shared enough information to be lectured on my ignorance by a few members so clearly you can provide the details on why the tool I've chosen for this job is incorrect and which tool would be a better choice?

I own a 1/2" pneumatic impact. That isn't what is needed for this job.
    Given that I have no idea what you're doing, it's obvious that you need a hytorq. Hopefully, 138,000 foot pounds will be enough.

You're welcome.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The Milwaukee impact drivers I found are rated 2,000 inch pounds. The DeWalt adapter I linked to is rated the same.

The Milwaukee adapters I looked up did not show a rating.

I bought 2 packages of the DeWalt adapters (1/4, 3,/8, 1/2) when the Bosch adapter I was using broke. I haven't needed the spare set, yet.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    provide the details on why the tool I've chosen for this job is incorrect and which tool would be a better choice?

You are using an adapter from a smaller tool to a larger tool than can reliably supported and expect it to not break. A 1/4" shank to 1/2" drive adapter would be expected to break, 1/4" anything will not hold up to 1/2" loads,. i.e. if you need to use 1/2" tool then you need a 1/2 inch drive. You can safely adapt larger to smaller but not the other way around.

Whatever you're trying to do with a 1/4 tool apparently needs to be done with a 1/2" tool. One or both of us are missing some point here. I thought you were complaining that you have blown through three 1/4-1/2" adapters and I'm saying that a 1/4"-1/2" adapter is the incorrect way because the 1/4" shaft will always be limited to 1/4" loads regardless of the quality of the adapter.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You are using an adapter from a smaller tool to a larger tool than can reliably supported and expect it to not break. A 1/4" shank to 1/2" drive adapter would be expected to break, 1/4" anything will not hold up to 1/2" loads,. i.e. if you need to use 1/2" tool then you need a 1/2 inch drive. You can safely adapt larger to smaller but not the other way around.
    Still confused...
    The power is being supplied from the 1/4 impact driver. The 1/4 adapter is breaking. It's still getting the same 1/4 loads, isn't it?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Whatever you're trying to do with a 1/4 tool apparently needs to be done with a 1/2" tool.
    If I am using the driver for fasteners within it's rated capacity and using the adapters within their rated capacity why would I expect them to break?

In my use case I carry a battery operated impact driver and the sockets I need for my job. None of the fasteners I work with require more torque than the impact driver supplies. My primary socket sets are 1/2 inch drive in case I need to use a breaker bar to disassemble something that has been over tightened. So I use the 1/4 inch hex to 1/2 inch square adapter. In my case this keeps me from having to carry multiple socket sets.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Whatever you're trying to do with a 1/4 tool apparently needs to be done with a 1/2" tool. One or both of us are missing some point here. I thought you were complaining that you have blown through three 1/4-1/2" adapters and I'm saying that a 1/4"-1/2" adapter is the incorrect way because the 1/4" shaft will always be limited to 1/4" loads regardless of the quality of the adapter.
    Dude. You're arguing with ghosts. You've created a scenario in your mind of what I am doing and why it is wrong. Several members have chimed in with the simple recommendation I asked for, some even reinforcing my experience with an apparently lesser brand adapter. You decided I'm trying to use a 1/4" adapter to turn over a CAT D5 engine and lecture me on why that's a bad idea.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If I am using the driver for fasteners within it's rated capacity and using the adapters within their rated capacity why would I expect them to break?

In my use case I carry a battery operated impact driver and the sockets I need for my job. None of the fasteners I work with require more torque than the impact driver supplies. My primary socket sets are 1/2 inch drive in case I need to use a breaker bar to disassemble something that has been over tightened. So I use the 1/4 inch hex to 1/2 inch square adapter. In my case this keeps me from having to carry multiple socket sets.
    You're doing it wrong.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Still confused...
    The power is being supplied from the 1/4 impact driver. The 1/4 adapter is breaking. It's still getting the same 1/4 loads, isn't it?
    Not sure how to explain myself other than I don't think breaking any 1/4" adapter can be avoided regardless of brand/quality at the torque the tool can produce. That tool is producing more torque than a 1/4" shaft can support and should have been designed with a larger chuck that can hold larger shafts.

But if whatever he is doing requires 1/2" adapter, you cannot expect to utilize the full capacity of a 1/2" tool using a 1/4" adapter.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not sure how to explain myself other than I don't think breaking any 1/4" adapter can be avoided regardless of brand/quality at the torque the tool can produce. That tool is producing more torque than a 1/4" shaft can support and should have been designed with a larger chuck that can hold larger shafts.

But if whatever he is doing requires 1/2" adapter, you cannot expect to utilize the full capacity of a 1/2" tool using a 1/4" adapter.
    From what I understand, he's using a 1/4 impact driver. The only thing that can be used is 1/4 impact bits. If the 1/4 bits are breaking in the 1/4 impact driver, it seems that the bits are the problem. Not the power source. Not the socket.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Now I think it's you that's confused. From what I understand, he's using a 1/4 impact driver. The only thing that can be used is 1/4 impact bits. If the 1/4 bits are breaking in the 1/4 impact driver, it seems that the bits are the problem. Not the power source. Not the socket.
    And I'm saying 1/4" bit cannot be expected to support the full load a 1/2" adapted tool might require.
    Are the other adapters breaking too if used on the same job? (why is the 1/2" adapter needed, can it be done with a 1/4 socket without breaking?)

I'd be curious if any better made brand adapter can withstand the torque his driver is producing. It is possible the Milwaukee part is junk, but until a higher quality 1/4" adapter can tested there's no way to know whether it's the adapter's fault or the impact driver is capable of more power than a 1/4" shaft can reliably handle. Maybe Milwaukee just designed it with more torque capability than it should given it's chuck size.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know I am an old man, but I much prefer Pneumatic tools. Real Pneumatic tools, Ingersal Rand, and the Old USA made Chicago Pneumatic tools that have served me well since the early 1970's. 1/2, 3/4 and spline drive tools.

Of course having to carry at least a 6 hp compressor around can be cumbersome <grin>

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I gave you a sad face emoji because your reading comprehension needs work. Try harder on the next thread.
    If you don't show improvement, we'll talk to your parents about getting you a tutor

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    1/4” cordless impacts are just too powerful for the bits. That’s why I only run 3/4” drivers now. Sure, I exploded most of my 1/4” drive sockets, but the bits can take it. :dunno: :lmfao:

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I'm a Milwaukee tools guy and at this point I've blown through at least three of their 1/2" impact socket adapters. Figured I'd ask if anyone has found a brand that holds up before just buying at random and hoping for the best. I'm talking about these things.

View attachment 340171
    I would say the 1/4" is appropriate. The 3/8" maybe. The 1/2" was wishful thinking on Milwaukee's part. Unless you get into exotic alloys/ heat treatments, steel is steel and the stress risers in the 1/2" adapter are apparent (90deg filet = no filet).
    Further reference, Carol Smith, Engineer To Win. Easy read, lots of good strength of material information, written for the non-metalurgist/mechanical engineer. Just right for a dumb old draftsman. Me.

MH

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I know I am an old man, but I much prefer Pneumatic tools. Real Pneumatic tools, Ingersal Rand, and the Old USA made Chicago Pneumatic tools that have served me well since the early 1970's. 1/2, 3/4 and spline drive tools.

Of course having to carry at least a 6 hp compressor around can be cumbersome <grin>
    1/2 IR impact bought off the Matco truck 35 years ago, and it laughs at the FUEL. Yes, air is still king.

Reactions: Leo

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And I'm saying 1/4" bit cannot be expected to support the full load a 1/2" adapted tool might require.
    Are the other adapters breaking too if used on the same job? (why is the 1/2" adapter needed, can it be done with a 1/4 socket without breaking?)

I'd be curious if any better made brand adapter can withstand the torque his driver is producing. It is possible the Milwaukee part is junk, but until a higher quality 1/4" adapter can tested there's no way to know whether it's the adapter's fault or the impact driver is capable of more power than a 1/4" shaft can reliably handle. Maybe Milwaukee just designed it with more torque capability than it should given it's chuck size.
    Why are you so hung up on the 1/2"? It is nothing more than the size of the whole in the socket. Rookie tried to explain that earlier, and you just seem to ignore it.

I've used 1/2" drive sockets with my impact driver on a number of occasions. I either didn't have a smaller drive version of the socket, or I was too lazy to find the one I needed. There is nothing odd about doing so.

Top Bottom