• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm a Milwaukee tools guy and at this point I've blown through at least three of their 1/2" impact socket adapters. Figured I'd ask if anyone has found a brand that holds up before just buying at random and hoping for the best. I'm talking about these things.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 5.06.25 PM.png

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Honestly, I’ve had better luck with the no name brand ones that menards and harbor freight sells than the Milwaukee ones. I will never understand why Milwaukee always puts the little skinny section on their impacts and screw driver bits. I used to use them all day every day, and never had a Milwaukee last more than half a day, usually less, they would always snap at the skinnier section.

Milwaukee makes great tools, but their drivers are terrible.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Milwaukee has awesome powertools and batteries. I have not been easy on mine for work and they are still going.

Anything else, buy a different brand.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Pretty poor engineering trying to turn 1/2 inch impact sockets with a 1/4 inch hex. I cannot think of a Pneumatic impact wrench that is designed that way, and don't remember ever seeing any USA made Pneumatic tools that broke a shaft.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I'm sure that you know=Use the proper tool.
    The 1/4" drive is to gain just over "HandTight"
    Spin down the fastener down with 1/4", and then pick up the 1/2" drive tool....Bill.

HA.HA. Or just use the 1/2" driver to start with??

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Yea the wrong tool for the job, I have the Milwaukee compact 3/8 square drive impact but more often than not I put an adapter in my fuel hydraulic drive and throw on a 3/8 adapter. I have broken more of the adapters than I would like to think of and even had to resort to extreme measures to get the broken adapter out of the gun on a few occasions. Since we are on a firearms forum, if you shoot a bear with a 22 and don't kill it, its not the guns fault its yours.

Reactions: Leo

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So everyone is saying that Milwaukee shouldn't design the adapter to handle the torque that their impact driver provides?

DeWalt makes adapters without that indented area below the 1/2 inch driver part.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have the tools I have and a new, larger impact isn't in the budget. Simply looking for recommendations on the adapters gentlemen.
    I think they are recommending the Dewalt adapters not a brand new tool.

I use harbor freight with no issue but I don't use them everyday.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have used both, the Dewalt seems a bit more durable than the Milwaukee in regular use.

With the arbor being a 1/4” hex and the anvil being a 1/2” square, no bit is going to survive long with repeated high-torque use…especially impact use.

If money were no object I would recommend buying a nice Milwaukee 1/2” impact driver...we use the crap out of the one in our shop. I have Snap-On 3/8 and bit driver impacts because I prefer the battery and form factor, but the expense is definitely not worth it for occasional DIY use.

Another option would be to step up the arbor size, if you have that ability. Something like this might work if you have an adjustable chuck instead of a quick-release: http://www.amazon.com/Fonowx-Impact-Adapter-Extension-Accessory/dp/B0CFR5HW3L

edit: here’s one that has a 3/8” drive hex to a 1/2” square…but again, it only works for you if the tool has an adjustable chuck: http://www.misterworker.com/en-us/h...MI7_bZpab5hAMV6G9HAR2RmwaIEAQYBCABEgJod_D_BwE

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'm a Milwaukee tools guy and at this point I've blown through at least three of their 1/2" impact socket adapters. Figured I'd ask if anyone has found a brand that holds up before just buying at random and hoping for the best. I'm talking about these things.

View attachment 340171
    Those are simply adapters, I don’t believe they are rated for impact duty at all. You have to specifically get impact rated adapters, and tools for that.

There’s no way any 1/4” shaft would handle 1/2” tool torque levels anyhow. Use the right tool for the job.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    What is the job? Which tool that I own should I use?
    Apparently you don't own the tool you should use, but impact rated adapters for one. I can't tell if the ones pictured are just standard adapters or impact adapters, there are differences. You shouldn't use standard sockets in an impact driver since regular ones will shatter. Same concept here.

How can you expect any tool to stand up to a job it was not designed for? If your tool only has a 1/4" chuck it should not be used for anything 1/2", it is physically impossible for anything 1/4" to withstand 1/2" torque values.

Do you think it is possible to torque a 1/4" bolt to the same level of a 1/2" bolt before the 1/4" one snaps?

Sure, you can use a 1/2" adapter in a smaller drive but only expect it to handle 1/4" torque values.

The correct option is to have a 1/2" drive power tool and use adapters to use smaller drive accessories.

Sorry, not trying to be a d*** or anything, simply pointing out known physical limitations of tools.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess I'm a little confused here. Op is asking for socket adapters to run 1/2 inch sockets on a 1/4 inch impact driver. From what I'm understanding, the 1/4 inch adapters are breaking. If they're designed to run in a 1/4 impact driver, why are they breaking? It's not because of the socket, it's the crappy adapter, is it not?

I have sockets that are 1/4 inch drive and 1/2 inch drive. Same size (9/16 for example), different drive. If I use both with different drive adapters, am I supposed to believe that the 1/4 inch drive adapter will never break but the 1/2 inch drive adapter will?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Apparently you don't own the tool you should use, but impact rated adapters for one. I can't tell if the ones pictured are just standard adapters or impact adapters, there are differences. You shouldn't use standard sockets in an impact driver since regular ones will shatter. Same concept here.

How can you expect any tool to stand up to a job it was not designed for? If your tool only has a 1/4" chuck it should not be used for anything 1/2", it is physically impossible for anything 1/4" to withstand 1/2" torque values.

Do you think it is possible to torque a 1/4" bolt to the same level of a 1/2" bolt before the 1/4" one snaps?

Sure, you can use a 1/2" adapter in a smaller drive but only expect it to handle 1/4" torque values.

The correct option is to have a 1/2" drive power tool and use adapters to use smaller drive accessories.

Sorry, not trying to be a d*** or anything, simply pointing out known physical limitations of tools.
    Apparently. So what's the job that I'm incorrectly using my tools on? Clearly I've shared enough information to be lectured on my ignorance by a few members so clearly you can provide the details on why the tool I've chosen for this job is incorrect and which tool would be a better choice?

I own a 1/2" pneumatic impact. That isn't what is needed for this job.

Top Bottom