• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As I said months ago, the military will not allow an islamic government. The MB is being forced back into the shadows, where it's been for many decades. The new edict may even be more draconian than the previous one. Declaring them to be terrorists means it's open season on them and their members. Eventually, Egypt will be back to being a safe place for tourists. The military knows where their income comes from. The revolution was short lived, but maybe there will be a modicum of freedom in the newly forming one, one can hope.

Egypt declares Brotherhood 'terrorist group' - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They were banned under the previous governments, but were not considered a terrorist organisation by the Egyptian government. After the revolution they were unbanned. Now they're considered a terrorist group and it will be a very unpretty time for them.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I stand corrected, although I will suggest that the difference in treatment between "banned" and "terrorist" organizations in Egypt was probably slight. And, considering the fruits of "the Brotherhood" both while they were in power and after they were removed, I don't think the "terrorist" appellation is undeserved.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Depends on what ME country they were in. In Egypt they always kept a reasonably low profile as a charitable organisation with some aspirations to government. In other countries, like Syria they tried their hand at the terrorist/rebel gig and got their asses handed to them. With the Egyptian revolution they took the chance and managed to seize power through an uneducated electorate that wanted anyone but the previous guys in power. My guess is that the salafists will be the next groups to be targeted by the government and driven back underground. They're actually more dangerous than the MB in the terrorist arena, especially in the rural areas, (even though they've been chased out of many villages in the delta and Cairo areas). As for their treatment as banned and terrorist, there will be a lot more prison sentences handed out. And a lot less public sighting of the MB.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And a lot more attacks on the public, suicide bombers, mall-shooters...
    That doesn't seem to be the case, yet. Most of the terrorism looks to be coming from the Sinai groups and the salafists. The MB in Egypt was always more of a mainstream group that knew they'd be stomped on if they went that route. That's likely what they're headed for now. Most of their leaders are already in jail and those that remain are being very quiet, so they don't end up there, too. Time will tell, tho. The Sinai groups are the ones to keep an eye on right now. They've been blowing up cops and soldiers in the area for the last few months. It's getting pretty nasty over there.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Under the Egyptian penal code, members of the Brotherhood could now face up to five years in prison simply for belonging to the group.

Speaking generically, its a dangerous thing when a government makes it a crime to call yourself a member of a group, or a gang, or a political party. That's something we recognize as an inalienable right to assemble and speak. Crimes should be based on specific individual actions, not labels and associations. "Terrorist group" is a bogus concept.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    As I said months ago, the military will not allow an islamic government. The MB is being forced back into the shadows, where it's been for many decades. The new edict may even be more draconian than the previous one. Declaring them to be terrorists means it's open season on them and their members. Eventually, Egypt will be back to being a safe place for tourists. The military knows where their income comes from. The revolution was short lived, but maybe there will be a modicum of freedom in the newly forming one, one can hope.

Egypt declares Brotherhood 'terrorist group' - Middle East - Al Jazeera English
    Just because the military will make egypt safe for tourists, doesn't mean there will be any more freedom than there was under mubarak. Living under sharia as a moslem probably isn't any worse than watching your step under a military dictatorship--even if it DOES have a 'rubber-stamp' legislature where the ruler's guys win by 99%
    The good news for us is that the military will want to work with us and not our enemies.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The designation means anyone accused of taking part in pro-Muslim Brotherhood rallies, possession of the group's literature, or supporting the group "verbally or in writing" could be sentenced to five years in prison, the Interior Ministry said.

At first I thought, wow, this is crazy. Then I realized the United States drone-strikes people based on similar allegations.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just because the military will make egypt safe for tourists, doesn't mean there will be any more freedom than there was under mubarak. Living under sharia as a moslem probably isn't any worse than watching your step under a military dictatorship--even if it DOES have a 'rubber-stamp' legislature where the ruler's guys win by 99%
    The good news for us is that the military will want to work with us and not our enemies.
    Where did I imply that there would be more freedom? I'm counting on the opposite of it. It isn't going to surprise me if Egyptians end up with even less freedom than they had under Mubarak.

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Does anyone remember the 27 Billion Obama gave the muslim brotherhood? Finally Egypt can arrest him and rid us of all his economic terrorism he has used against us "WE THE PEOPLE"

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Does anyone remember the 27 Billion Obama gave the muslim brotherhood? Finally Egypt can arrest him and rid us of all his economic terrorism he has used against us "WE THE PEOPLE"
    No-one remembers it because it never happened. The US did give the Egyptian government a billion or so in military and civilian aid, as they've been doing for years. They gave nothing to the muslim brotherhood.

Top Bottom