• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The wife and I are considering buying a Jayco travel trailer in the near future and unfortunately my Tundra isn't rated to pull the size we are looking at. I love my truck and know that while it would technically work, I should probably look into getting something that is properly rated.

I have been looking at a few F250's from 08 and 09 both with the 6.4l turbo engine. It seems that they review pretty well, but I know very little about diesel engines. Does anyone know what you can expect for annual maintenance for these? How many miles one of these trucks will normally hang on for? Any big issues you can think of with these particular years?

Any input is welcome.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't have any experience with the Powerstroke. On my '09 Cummins, I change the oil every 5k or so ($60) and the fuel filter every other oil change ($50). Other than that, nothing really. I do need to go through the front end and replace some things, but at 115k miles that's expected due to the weight of the engine. I plan on driving it until it rusts out from under me. I guessing I'll get to 400k easily.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    The wife and I are considering buying a Jayco travel trailer in the near future and unfortunately my Tundra isn't rated to pull the size we are looking at. I love my truck and know that while it would technically work, I should probably look into getting something that is properly rated.

I have been looking at a few F250's from 08 and 09 both with the 6.4l turbo engine. It seems that they review pretty well, but I know very little about diesel engines. Does anyone know what you can expect for annual maintenance for these? How many miles one of these trucks will normally hang on for? Any big issues you can think of with these particular years?

Any input is welcome.

I would suggest joining or browsing some forums dedicated to those trucks. All three (Powerstroke, Duramax, And Cummins) have their own separate issue. The owners of all three are very vocal about how big a p.o.s. the other is. I can tell you from a body standpoint on the three Domestic makers that they also have issues. Chevrolet tends to have rusty rocker panels and bedsides, Fords tend to have rusty bedsides and doors, and Dodge tends to have rusty beds (bedsides and crossbeam supports).

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    All diesels have higher maintenance costs than a comparible gas engine. Oil is more, parts and filters are generally more. Fuel cost is comparable to gas right now. The 6.4s don't get great mileage without aftermarket goodies, but the aftermarket is booming right now for diesels.

I've heard of issues similar to the 6.0 powerstroke. Headgaskets and EGR coolers, but not nearly as bad or as frequent.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Do all diesel trucks have poor heaters in the winter time?

Not necessarily. My '02 Duramax gets plenty hot, but it takes a little longer to get warmed up. My bosses 2015 6.7 Powerstroke gets very hot, but still takes a bit longer than a gasser to get warm.

IMO, stay away from the 6.4 and don't even look at a 6.0. If you're wanting something from the '05-'10 model years, get a Cummins or Duramax. The Chevy will have a more reliable transmission. Some people prefer the Dodge engine. If it were me, I would get an LBZ duramax (made in late 2006, early 2007, 8th digit of VIN is "D"). They have minimal emissions equipment, which is easily bypassed for more fuel efficiency and power. The LMM's from 2007.5 on were quite a bit more complex due to more emissions equipment. Another good engine is the LLY Duramax (made from 2004.5 to early 2006, VIN 8th digit is "2"). They were mechanically identical to the later LBZ's, but we're not tuned as well.

My '02 LB7 Duramax is a good truck, but those engines had injector problems, and I wouldn't recommend one as a first choice. Those were made till early 2004.

Like I said, I like Chevy because of the Allison transmission. I don't care for Dodge tranny's. The Chevy and Dodge both use an AAM 11.5" rear axle, which is downright bulletproof. It is a 1 ton axle, but they both use it on the 3/4 ton trucks as well. Some people will like the Dodge engine, but frankly I think the Chevy engine is just as good. The difference between the two shows when tuning past 1,000 hp, and it doesn't sound like that is what you're looking to do.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do all diesel trucks have poor heaters in the winter time?
    No. Mine is fine.

I have a snap-on screen for 10 months of the year, and swap it for a cover the other 2. Isn't really needed (this is Indiana, not North Dakota), but helps a bit.

Diesel Pros:
    - TONS of torque, at an RPM that doesn't sound like the engine is about to fly apart
    - The same fuel economy loaded as unloaded (until you get to 10K lbs or more)
    - the powertain will typically outlast the body (200K miles is easy)

Diesel Cons:
    - The newer emissions SUCK. DPF kills your economy. DEF is yet another cost. Annoying.
    - Cost of fuel tends to negate better fuel economy.
    - oil changes can be expensive (10 qts!). Fuel Filters are mandatory (or it goes into limp mode).

I tow about 6000 lbs pretty regularly. My old 6.0L 1/2 ton truck did it fine. You knew there was a trailer back there, though. My current 3/4 ton 6.6L diesel is simply awesome. Have to remind myself there is a trailer on the back. Set the cruise and go....

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    many guys beat up the 6.0 powestrokes and have a bad rap.. it is the ones that have programmers and people have ran them hard.. I've seen many that are well over 150k with normal issues and haul heavy equipment.. tis how you treat them. My 01 7.3 is just shy of 200k and is not a bleeder and yes maintenance cost is higher but it gets you more.. More usable power and torque More MPG's more miles down the road.
    I get about 18 MPG's running around and it dips down to 12-14 MPG's when I am hauling our 6 horse trailer.
    It will be the same whether you buy a dodge or chevy or ford. some have more issues than others. I am not that familar with the newer diesels but by the time I can afford one everyone will have the bugs worked out of them and how to get more power and MPG's too. If you can find a older one that is a cream puff go for it. You will not be sorry whatever you buy.
    When its cold you have to plug them in.. newer trucks start easier but plugging them in will get you warm quicker and it is easier on the motor when its plugged in.. Good luck with what you buy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't have any experience with the Powerstroke. On my '09 Cummins, I change the oil every 5k or so ($60) and the fuel filter every other oil change ($50). Other than that, nothing really. I do need to go through the front end and replace some things, but at 115k miles that's expected due to the weight of the engine. I plan on driving it until it rusts out from under me. I guessing I'll get to 400k easily.

I have a 07 duramax, and use the same maintenance schedule on oil, and fuel filter. My truck has 160k miles, and has never had any issues. I take it to shows in Seattle WA, and Portland OR (5k miles round trip) pulling a 10k pound trailer (not even remotely heavy) without hesitation.

Im guessing I will start truck shopping in another 150k miles or so.

I just drove 900 miles round trip to Wisconsin pulling nothing, and hand figured the mileage at 24.5 MPG. I put about 2500 bucks in my truck to get that, but at that kind of milage its already payed me back.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My '02 is sitting on 260k miles right now. Body isn't in great shape anymore, but the drivetrain is doing great.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Personally I'd stay away from anything 08 and newer. Those models have a DPF (Diesel particulate filter), which increases problems and reduces MPG and power. Anything 04-07 will have EGR, which can be deleted.
    Any 2010 or newer model will have a DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) system which if/when it goes bad is outrageously expensive to repair.

Another option if possible would be to buy a late 90's truck just for pulling the trailer. That way you could keep your Tundra.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Thanks guys! I will have to take a look at the Duramax. I've owned a few f150's and only one chevy. Unfortunately that chevy left a bad taste in my mouth.

Cummins513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Lowell
    Personally I'd stay away from anything 08 and newer. Those models have a DPF (Diesel particulate filter), which increases problems and reduces MPG and power. Anything 04-07 will have EGR, which can be deleted.
    Any 2010 or newer model will have a DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) system which if/when it goes bad is outrageously expensive to repair.

Another option if possible would be to buy a late 90's truck just for pulling the trailer. That way you could keep your Tundra.

I have a 2011 cummins with the EGR/DPF delete and it runs amazing. Fortunately I live in Lake Co where there is no emissions testing for diesels. If you cant delete your truck and you don't live in Lake, Co, definitely stick to Pre 2007.5 before all the garbage was added on.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Don't let anybody fool you, Duramx, Powerstroke, Cummins all have problems. My work has had/have all of them and pull with them exclusively, not one brand has had more or less problems. I'm talking hundreds of trucks. FYI in the last 5yrs they have not bought one new diesel. Any savings has went out the window with the advent of DEF and higher price of fuel.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Don't let anybody fool you, Duramx, Powerstroke, Cummins all have problems. My work has had/have all of them and pull with them exclusively, not one brand has had more or less problems. I'm talking hundreds of trucks. FYI in the last 5yrs they have not bought one new diesel. Any savings has went out the window with the advent of DEF and higher price of fuel.

In my neck of the woods the price of diesel has been fairly consistent while gas has a more wicked roller coaster rise and fall. Albeit I drive a 15 Jetta TDI with DEF and get 44-50MPG, so I can usually go a little over 2 weeks between fill ups. No I do not plan on selling back to VW it will keep driving till they take it from my cold dead hands.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

They still pull way better than a gasser, but DPF and DPF ruined diesel trucks.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If I do go with the newer truck, I will not be doing the EGR/DPF delete. I understand the advantage of doing it, but that isn't my "thing."

Top Bottom