• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I switch between a Swiss army knife and a leatherman. Like Lone, I also carry a glass of bourbon everywhere.

Many years ago I had a Swiss Army. While trying to cut a radiator hose it closed on my finger and required stiches. Josey will never a own a knife without a locking blade again. Something for you to ponder. Great piece of gear but if you actually use it regularly go Leatherman.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Maybe I haven't kept up on the Leatherman multitools lately because mine has lasted so long. But that is the one thing I don't like about mine is the blade doesn't lock open. Do the new ones?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe I haven't kept up on the Leatherman multitools lately because mine has lasted so long. But that is the one thing I don't like about mine is the blade doesn't lock open. Do the new ones?

Most do. Some of the less expensive models like the Wingman do not.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Leatherman Supertool on my belt.

Leatherman is true to their warranty too.

About 5 years ago I returned shipped my 22 yr old Leatherman for warranty because it had a broken screwdriver tip and a broken knife tip (cause I stabbed it into a 2 x 4). To my surprise they sent me a brand new Leatherman Super Tool.

I'm thinking of slimming down to a skeletool. Anyone have any recommendations on the Leatherman skeletool?

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Most do. Some of the less expensive models like the Wingman do not.

Actually the Wingman main knife blade does lock into place, as do the scissors. I have a "Kick" model and it doesn't.

I love my Wingman. It has a great assortment of tools for the price, the scissors and knife blade are accessible from the outside, and the pliers are spring-loaded. And the finish on the Wingman is more of a glossy(?) finish that I think resists rust better then the matte finish on the Kick.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Actually the Wingman main knife blade does lock into place, as do the scissors. I have a "Kick" model and it doesn't.

I love my Wingman. It has a great assortment of tools for the price, the scissors and knife blade are accessible from the outside, and the pliers are spring-loaded. And the finish on the Wingman is more of a glossy(?) finish that I think resists rust better then the matte finish on the Kick.

You're correct and I was wrong. The knife and scissors definitely lock!

None of the rest of the tools lock open, however.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You're correct and I was wrong. The knife and scissors definitely lock!

None of the rest of the tools lock open, however.

Yep. I don't really mind the other tools not locking, since I would usually close the tool to use them and then they can't close. I really like the package opener on the Wingman, and it is very sharp. The first day I had it I accidentally took a chunk out of my thumb with it. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm thinking of slimming down to a skeletool. Anyone have any recommendations on the Leatherman skeletool?

If you only use the pliers and knife in your tool primarily, it's a good choice. Get the Skeletool CX because it has a better knife that the regular Skeletool (or Skeletool SX, which is the regular plus a file). If you like to use the others tools, it might be too minimal for you.

Yep. I don't really mind the other tools not locking, since I would usually close the tool to use them and then they can't close. I really like the package opener on the Wingman, and it is very sharp. The first day I had it I accidentally took a chunk out of my thumb with it. :):

I carry my wingman in my jammies when I'm at home.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

My Blast and my Victronix both lock open, and not just the blade, all the tools lock open.

Top Bottom