• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    It's been awhile since I've carried a flashlight every day, and my old EDC was a mini-maglite (ick). I want to get a modern LED light to EDC, but there are a whole boatload of options.

What do you use/like?

I'd like to keep it pretty small, as the smaller the light is, and the easier it is to fit in a pocket, the more likely I am to carry it every day.

*edit*: I do not need a lanyard hole. And I prefer normal battery sizes (AAA or AA) to watch batteries, but I'll go with whatever is thinest.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I carry a Streamlight PT 2AA. I like the simple function of it, and find it very easy to switch between high/strobe/low after a couple days adjusting to it. I've had it for about a year now, and its in pristine condition still, and works well. It fits perfectly in the back pocket of jeans with just the tail cap sticking out, but is much thinner than most of CR123 powered tactical lights.

My complaint with it, though, is the lack of a lanyard hole. 550 guts and a single fisherman's fixed it for me, but its not perfect for that reason.

At any case, I paid $40, and Botach has them for 35 with free shipping right now:
    Streamlight 88033 ProTac AA LED Penlight

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If all you need is task lighting in a small package, I've had good success with the Streamlight MicroStream: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...12462-review_streamlight_microstream_led.html

If you need something brighter, the PT-series from Streamlight is nice: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reamlight_has_become_my_go_to_for_lights.html

If you need something hard-use, big enough to strike with, and bright enough to momentarily blind someone, I recommend the Surefire LX2: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ht_streamlight_pt2l_surefire_lx2_lumamax.html

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    These two look like solid options.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-MicroStream-LED-Pen-Light/dp/B005G4GBXA"]Amazon.com: Streamlight MicroStream LED Pen Light: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-mini-LD01-Lumens-Flashlight/dp/B001K3HJXM#productPromotions"]Amazon.com: Fenix mini LD01 CREE Q5 80 Lumens LED Flashlight - black color, using one AAA battery: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Best for my $40:
    JETBeam BC20 - Cree R5 LED
    I use SureFire CR123A's in mine, still using original pack since Day 1 for the last 2 months, probably a total of 1.5 hours use and still holding strong.

Best for my $65 (finds itself on me every SINGLE day):
    Fenix PD32 - Cree R5 LED
    I use a rechargeable Tenergy 2600mAh 18650 battery in mine. Also using original cell/original charge, holding strong at 3 hours total runtime, varied between low and Turbo.

All I know, is they're both very good quality lights and BRIGHT. They survive my clumsiness, as well as my 18 month old. Best of luck - I have a very non-scientific review put up on both products on Amazon.com, with some pictures of the two side by side if you'd be interested in either.

EDIT:
    While it's still lightweight, the Fenix feels more sturdy/heavy in the hand.
    My money would be on JETBeam's for the cost. Very good quality (at least mine is)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    After some Googling I'm even more torn between brands....

Streamlight
    Surefire
    Fenix
    4Sevens
    Malkoff Devices

I'd prefer to keep this investment under $50 since it's just an EDC light, and not really intended to be a 'tactical' light of any sort.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Very good quality lights and BRIGHT. They survive my clumsiness, as well as my 18 month old. Best of luck - I have a very non-scientific review put up on both products on Amazon.com, with some pictures of the two side by side if you'd be interested in either.

Both would be excellent.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After some Googling I'm even more torn between brands....

Streamlight
    Surefire
    Fenix
    4Sevens
    Malkoff Devices

I'd prefer to keep this investment under $50 since it's just an EDC light, and not really intended to be a 'tactical' light of any sort.

Under $50 pretty much puts Surefire out. They're the best, but you pay for it. Sounds like overkill for your application.

I like Streamlight because you get 80% Surefire for a third of the price.

I've reviewed some of the Chinese lights like Fenix and Olight and found them to be cheap copies with unnecessary frills. They are bright (not as bright as their numbers often claim), but build quality and materials is lacking. But if you're trying to get the most lumens per dollar, they are the best.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Under $50 pretty much puts Surefire out. They're the best, but you pay for it. Sounds like overkill for your application.

I like Streamlight because you get 80% Surefire for a third of the price.

I've reviewed some of the Chinese lights like Fenix and Olight and found them to be cheap copies with unnecessary frills. They are bright (not as bright as their numbers often claim), but build quality and materials is lacking. But if you're trying to get the most lumens per dollar, they are the best.

I'll take build quality over raw lumens. I'd like for this light to last.

The Streamlight microlight is looking might appealing!

Want to sell me yours? :D

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    The Surefire G2's are a great light, I don't know how they would stand up to a combatives course, but it's a surefire!

They are under $50 also, so you get the name and quality at a great price.

Also as mentionted in esrice's review of the LX2 they don't have the clickie tailcap, it's push button and twist constant on. I've got one mounted on the AR and the other is around when I need a light.

They are also upgradeable with lamps and tailcaps.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I picked up a Streamlight ProTac 2L for EDC a few weeks ago and I have been very pleased with it. They make a 2AA version but the beam on the 2L was noticeably brighter and the light itself wasn't much bigger. Another one I looked at was the 5.11 ATAC 2AA version and it was as bright as the lithium powered 2L but was the biggest of the three. Since I'm a bit of a flashlight junkie I know I'll be adding the other two to my collection in the not too distant future as well.

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    I got 4sevens Quark X 123 light and It is really a amazing light. It only ran me $60 and its been bulletproof so far. Its very bright at 360 lumens. I've sat it at the bottom of a friends hot tub on strobe for 2 hours and pulled it out still running perfect, thrown it off a four story building, drove over it, you name it. It outperformed a lot of lights I was looking at and was more affordable. You should really give 4sevens a good look they make a solid product.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I got 4sevens Quark X 123 light and It is really a amazing light. It only ran me $60 and its been bulletproof so far. Its very bright at 360 lumens. I've sat it at the bottom of a friends hot tub on strobe for 2 hours and pulled it out still running perfect, thrown it off a four story building, drove over it, you name it. It outperformed a lot of lights I was looking at and was more affordable. You should really give 4sevens a good look they make a solid product.

We have the AA powered version of this light on sale for $45. Not quite as bright at 280 lumens, but it has AA batteries instead. This is almost twice as bright as the Streamlight PT lights and costs the same.

4Sevens Quark X AA^2

IF you want a AAA light, get the preon 2. Way more light output than the Streamlight micro.

Search Results: preon 2

4Sevens does have a 10 year warranty on their lights.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Olight M20 & Olight M21X have been very good lights for us. However I just noticed that you are looking for a sub $50 investment. If the M Series of lights are any indicator, Olight's T-Series of lights might be worth a look (they are right at the $50 threshold).

Note: If you get an M-Series light. Make sure you get one of the newer models with the side button for strobe activation.

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Fenix PD32. Buy one and thank me later.

Exactly what I was going to say. I have one and love it.

I strongly disagree with esrice on the quality. I had my friends Surefire for a while and it felt to be less quality, less bright, and highly more expensive. Most people will vote that a Surefire is better is based solely on being biased or ignorant of Fenix lights.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Exactly what I was going to say. I have one and love it.

I strongly disagree with esrice on the quality. I had my friends Surefire for a while and it felt to be less quality, less bright, and highly more expensive. Most people will vote that a Surefire is better is based solely on being biased or ignorant of Fenix lights.

If you like Fenix, go with the 4Sevens. The threads are a little better, and the warranty is way better. Plus they are US based. Other than that. it's pretty much the same light. (4sevens owner was one of the original Fenix founders)

Top Bottom