• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Something constructive the conspiracy theory types haven't politicized...

So, from the people getting actual work done, anyone have a fairly easily moved chicken coop/run design?

Mine will move, but not easily and it's getting really old, more trouble than it's worth.
    I'm looking for something that moves by hand, or larger versions that can be moved with something like a riding lawn mower.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I built one from scratch and it ended up too heavy. Strongly suggest considering some of the manufactured options unless you are good with either a light metal or PVC

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Build it on a trailer frame.

Plenty of options for size/capacity, some could be licensed for on-road movement.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Plans!?! Ha
    Built this with what I had around, I did a Saladin style first but didn’t like the fact you couldn’t get in it.
    It’s 2-16x4’ cattle panels end to end in an arch, covered with chicken wire roughly 6x8.
    Since the pic I’ve added a 8x8 tarp for roof and 8” wheels front and back so it’s just off the ground. (the wheels are already on in the back)
    Not sure on the weight but the wife can move it by hand in the yard, got 30-40 broilers in there
    5E39F2AA-5A84-4E05-9BD5-EA00245C12F1.jpeg

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    My intent, once I have chickens, is to find a cheap trailer with a mesh floor and create an enclosed coop on it. This will allow the manure, water and feed to fall through to the ground. The trailer could be easily moved with an ATV, tractor or even by hand with the use of a hitch dolly..
    A couple sections of electric netting and a solar charger should take just a few minutes to move daily.
    I'll put this idea to work next spring so watch the classifieds for used poultry accessories and a chicken $#!+ encrusted trailer if my idea doesn't work.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Plans!?! Ha
    Built this with what I had around, I did a Saladin style first but didn’t like the fact you couldn’t get in it.
    It’s 2-16x4’ cattle panels end to end in an arch, covered with chicken wire roughly 6x8.
    Since the pic I’ve added a 8x8 tarp for roof and 8” wheels front and back so it’s just off the ground. (the wheels are already on in the back)
    Not sure on the weight but the wife can move it by hand in the yard, got 30-40 broilers in there
    View attachment 157738

I used PVC hoops from a cheap greenhouse and treated 4"x4", and 12 or 13 years later it's falling apart.

I like the expanded metal floor idea!
    I think the chicken crap might be too corrosive... It's eaten screws, corner brackets, wire over time...

That pig fence is a GREAT idea for the chicken run!

Never thought of that, consider your copyright infringed! ;)

I'll put this idea to work next spring so watch the classifieds for used poultry accessories and a chicken $#!+ encrusted trailer if my idea doesn't work.

That's funny right there!

You mean like a mower trailer?
    Light duty with a lot of floor space?
    Welding up the tail ramp would add even more space...
    That's actually a real good idea, but might be more than I want to put into the new coop/run...

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I like the expanded metal floor idea!
    I think the chicken crap might be too corrosive... It's eaten screws, corner brackets, wire over time...
    messing up the quote, but anyway just wanted to chime in and mention the option of hog barn wire floor. Doesn’t last forever but under hogs expanded metal would last 6 months vs wire floor that would last 10 years.
    You might be able to find some from old confinement facilities now shut down. It usually just wears in one area, especially in a farrowing barn, and you could cut and piece it together. Some of it was even vinyl covered or ‘dipped’ which would be better for feet.

went looking for a link and instead found this…

I’m sure it’s real money but it’s real nice too.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Mine is open bottom save a couple cross straps...
    Gives peckers access to ground, and I move mine around fallow garden beds.
    (Free fertilizer and bug removal)

Not exactly a new idea, but it keeps them out of the road, shop, gardens, etc.

I probably built the run WAY too big, but it's the size the hoop greenhouse was once the vinyl cover gave up.

I'd like to go back that size, it will never go down the road, won't move more than 150 yards, mostly level ground (gentle slope).

This time the roosting/nesting coop (vs. run) will have cleaning doors from the back/outside and nest access for eggs.
    Made the mistake of NOT building in cleaning door, so now I have to scoop it up and out...
    And we have to deal with chickens when collecting eggs, and some of the hens don't care to give up eggs...
    (I don't like being bent over inn the coop either, bad back)

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The only eggs we incubated were in a styrofoam cooler someone cracked and threw in the trash,
    Handy man's secret weapon, a light and sand in the bottom.

It worked (more or less 8/10) hatched.

I'm a gadget freak, love gadgets!
    Found this on the internet and thinking of trying it...

We only do 6-10 replacement birds per year, but I do have some of this crap laying around...
    And it's a reason to build another gadget!

I don't have a rooster, we get fertilized eggs from the neighbors, should probably just buy chicks, but I wanted to know if I could pull it off.

Anyone doing incubators?
    Anyone have tips or tricks?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Something constructive the conspiracy theory types haven't politicized...

So, from the people getting actual work done, anyone have a fairly easily moved chicken coop/run design?

Mine will move, but not easily and it's getting really old, more trouble than it's worth.
    I'm looking for something that moves by hand, or larger versions that can be moved with something like a riding lawn mower.
    I built mine from PVC, I'll see if I can find plans

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Drew my chicken coop plans myself based entirely on what I wanted.

Went to Lowes and got the stuff and built it.

I'd suggest look at a dozen or so pictures of "chicken tractors" doodle something out, go buy the stuff and knock it out. Should take a day or at most a weekend.

Top Bottom