• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    It's funny to see all the houses that had Obama signs with their lights blaring away. And the college kids houses, they just want change, but don't want to work/do something for it :D

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Am I the only one that looks at this as a chance to teach my children what to do in the event we do have a major power outage? My 13 year old daughter is all over this thing tonight. I guess I see this as an opportunity to 1) teach her the correct reason on why we need to conserve energy, and 2) what to do if there is a major power outage. I'm betting more than 75% of the people in the Indy metro area have no idea what to do if they lose power for 1 hour(let alone 24 hours or more).

Here it is, a half hour before "the time", and we've got a severe thunderstorm bearing down on us. Plus, I'm on REMC lines. So, they may get their wish inadvertantly. My kids all learned about living without power regularly, from spring thunderstorms to winter snow and ice storms. REMC made that possible until just the last 10 years or so. That, and our propensity for living in "the sticks" through the years. :)

And, you're probably correct about most folks not knowing what to do in a protracted change from their normal comfortable lifestyle. Notice there were no stories on a huge number of deaths in Western Kentucky and Tennessee during the ice storm that hit down there. Why? Because there are no large cities in that region, and folks are mostly very self-reliant there.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Here it is, a half hour before "the time", and we've got a severe thunderstorm bearing down on us. Plus, I'm on REMC lines. So, they may get their wish inadvertantly. My kids all learned about living without power regularly, from spring thunderstorms to winter snow and ice storms. REMC made that possible until just the last 10 years or so. That, and our propensity for living in "the sticks" through the years. :)

And, you're probably correct about most folks not knowing what to do in a protracted change from their normal comfortable lifestyle. Notice there were no stories on a huge number of deaths in Western Kentucky and Tennessee during the ice storm that hit down there. Why? Because there are no large cities in that region, and folks are mostly very self-reliant there.

I feel your pain about REMC. We've lost power about 4 times today. It goes off just long enough to reset all of the clocks. My clocks constantly flash.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I had all of my lights on, opened up all the curtains to share my light with my neighbors that didn't have their lights on.

I saw that Larry King had Edward Norton and that wacky singer lady on talking about Earth Hour. :blahblah:

I feel good knowing I did my part.:yesway:

I couldn't catch any pics...well, I actually chose not to get my new camera wet.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It's funny to see all the houses that had Obama signs with their lights blaring away. And the college kids houses, they just want change, but don't want to work/do something for it :D

That is astute!

We cut power for an hour. We talked about all sorts of stuff including what it means to ask or legislate that others sit in the dark. My kids were all over the dark and saving the world for about 10 minutes. After 55 minutes of nothing they were ready for power at all costs. And I hope that is something they remember!

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I compleately forgot about it, so no gun cleaning...was half expecting the power to go out anyhow...just sat around with the wife and watched a movie. There is talk about a "Smart Grid", well when and if that happens, I hope to be off the grid. And for anyone off the grid, can I talk about "power management"?

Top Bottom