• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    First, my apologies because I’m sure there must be a thread on this on INGO. Over the past several years much has been written about the permissible size of motors that could be used on Eagle Creek Reservoir. Last I had heard during all the hoopla was that no motor larger than a 9.9 hp was allowed to be on a boat.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when I ran across a gentlemen who fishes Eagle Creek on a regular basis. The conversation somehow came around to Eagle Creek and motor size. He informed me the language in the Indianapolis Parks Department’s ordinances state it is not permitted to “operate” a motor of more than 9.9 hp. The key word is operate. There was much ado about boat owners with large motors who also had a small “kicker“ who were presumably told simply having the large motor on the boat was a violation of the ordinance. Apparently that simply isn’t true. So, those of us wishing to launch a boat with a large motor and a small motor in place on the boat are still okay if the larg(er) motor isn’t being “operated.”

Now, on one other note. For those who thought it a good idea to change the decals from a larger motor to a decal with smaller hp designation it’s not that simple. There is a marking on the motor underneath the motor cover that designates the horsepower. So. . . . . just changing decals may not fool the park rangers. (As an aside, my new acquaintance said he was told by a park ranger that there are only two rangers at Eagle Creek and they are forced to spend most of their time in the park and don’t have time to launch a boat and go looking for horsepower violators.

Th ordinance is Section 341-204.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are correct. Recently (2019) they started enforcing the ordinance "incorrectly". If you had a large motor on the boat, you got a ticket.
    Im hoping that was an oversight and has since been corrected.

Which reminds me, I need to rebuild my lower unit. My 9.9 wasnt pissing last trip out. Even though the new impeller was only installed last year.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    First, my apologies because I’m sure there must be a thread on this on INGO. Over the past several years much has been written about the permissible size of motors that could be used on Eagle Creek Reservoir. Last I had heard during all the hoopla was that no motor larger than a 9.9 hp was allowed to be on a boat.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when I ran across a gentlemen who fishes Eagle Creek on a regular basis. The conversation somehow came around to Eagle Creek and motor size. He informed me the language in the Indianapolis Parks Department’s ordinances state it is not permitted to “operate” a motor of more than 9.9 hp. The key word is operate. There was much ado about boat owners with large motors who also had a small “kicker“ who were presumably told simply having the large motor on the boat was a violation of the ordinance. Apparently that simply isn’t true. So, those of us wishing to launch a boat with a large motor and a small motor in place on the boat are still okay if the larg(er) motor isn’t being “operated.”

Now, on one other note. For those who thought it a good idea to change the decals from a larger motor to a decal with smaller hp designation it’s not that simple. There is a marking on the motor underneath the motor cover that designates the horsepower. So. . . . . just changing decals may not fool the park rangers. (As an aside, my new acquaintance said he was told by a park ranger that there are only two rangers at Eagle Creek and they are forced to spend most of their time in the park and don’t have time to launch a boat and go looking for horsepower violators.

Th ordinance is Section 341-204.
    Here's the thread.

Top Bottom