• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I remember seeing pics of someone who did this. If I remember right Rit dye, brown and tan mixed produced the best results to my eye.

Huge improvement over the glowing original.

Some guys are great with their krylon jobs as well.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Couple of threads about this out there already, but I have tried it. Just recently in fact.

I dyed 2 ACU pouches and 1 3mag pouch of the green vietnam style.
    I used Rite-Dye and did it on a stove top. Initially everything looked black but after a rinse and dry they were more blue. The green pouch took the black best, and is black, but the edging thread stayed green.
    the ACU pattern took the color uniformly in that the pattern is gone, but the overall color is a very very dark blue. Certain parts, like the elastic cord and the nylon edges, barely took the color, and just darkened a slight bit.
    Bear in mind I had around 4 times the recommended concentration, but only let them soak for half the recommended time, so I will be trying it again.

I've also tried bleaching and Rite-Dye color removing ACU. The bleach works, but of course weakens the fabric and took a week for noticeable results. The Color Remover really did nothing against the colors of that pouch.

Finally, I've tried dying ACU a tan, to keep its camo pattern but change the color. The color concentration was off, so the item came out much darker and more red than I had wanted, but it did take the color. Again, the nylon edges didn't take nearly as well, but still better than my black attempt. This was also stove top, with about twice recommended concentration, and for well over the recommended time.

Krylon changes the texture pretty severely and you end up with a plastic feel.
    Last time we talked about this someone recommended a spray paint designed for auto fabrics that didn't change the texture at all, and it sounded promising

Original (not my pictures, but this gear):
    Green Mag Pouch (Closest to top left corner one)
    ACU IFAK pouch
    No picture, but the final item was an ACU notebook cover

Results:
    SU1BRzE3MjYuanBn.jpg

SU1BRzE3MjcuanBn.jpg

I can post pictures of the Tan dye job tomorrow if you want to see them...its not that exciting.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can post pictures of the Tan dye job tomorrow if you want to see them...its not that exciting.
    Definitely...

I am trying to decide if it worth my time to try and dye the ACU gear a different color or just sell the gear for what I can and buy new replacement in a pattern that is usable... :dunno:

I am going to have to dig around looking for threads on it I guess.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have tried Spray Bombing Gear in the Past...

Hard Plastic gear OK, I am cool with that.
    Soft Nylon gear, not so much. What I have noticed in the past is that it becomes extremely stiff and abrasive.

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I used RIT dye (dark brown) and everything came out kinda reddish. I would say to test a piece of gear first before committing the rest. But with how cheap gAyCU is becoming, it makes for very economical gear.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'm dyeing another batch right now with Rit.
    I started out with tan dye but had everything turn out in different shades of orange. So much for internet info. This was several pouches and a pair of pants. I redyed it all in dark green which worked out to be a good subdued color. Any plastic-type lining such as inside of a waist pack remained orange.
    I'm sticking with dark green now.
    I read up on Rit dye and there's a bit of vodoo involved. Basically you don't know how it's going to turn out.

I want to add that I'm dyeing my stuff in the washing machine. First I cranked the water heater up as high as it will go and let it run for an hour.
    As the washer filled I added 2 bottles of dye and 2 cups of salt. After it filled I added the gear and did a short agitate, then shut the washer off and let it sit for 30 minutes before going thru a full cycle.
    Usually when you look at the rinse water there will still be a good bit of dye in it and you'll need to run everything thru another full cycle. I think there must be some dye water that gets trapped inside some of the rubber-lined pouches.
    My GF said to do the initial rinse and the additional wash in cold water to set the dye.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thread revival.

I'm doing this now with some ACU stuff; I got a TT MAV-2 ($25 FTW!) and a Paraclete "Triple Double" 6 mag pouch and a Maxpedition GP pouch. I've read on several sites (including Rit's) that vinegar is essential to make the solution acidic so that it will work with nylon. I'll put up some pics when I'm done.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Thread revival as well...maybe this can be a resource to others.

ACU dying, Take 5.

SU1BRzIwNTMuanBn.jpg

The ACU appeared extremely black until it was actually dried, then took on the purple or blue hue it had before. Its still darker than it was though, so I have hope for the next batch where I try Vinegar AND salt.
    I've exclusively used Rite-Dye in the past, so i mixed it up this time.

This mixture was:
    ~2 gallons of water
    1 pack Dylon Black Velvet Fabric Dye
    3/4 pack of Rite Dye black (powder)
    6 table spoons of salt

The point here, though, is that this was 100% the right mixture for dying plastic furniture black. I have tried before and come out with blue and other stranger tones.

The above Tango Down stubby and the Magpul 20 round PMAG were foliage green pre-op. Well matched black now.

I cooked on the stove for ~45 minutes, rinsed in cool water. Its easy with plastic, just rinse immediately and if it isn't dark enough, put it back in the pot....not the case with fabrics.

There was some collateral damage...the wall, washing machine, floor, and stove all cleaned up with 409, but my jeans and my hand will need some time....Wear gloves.

That is all.

Top Bottom