• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    My wife uses cotton balls to soak up the old wax from her plug in scensy pots. I bag them in ziplock bags for storage. I use one batch when burning limbs and keeping up on my fire starting skills.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Does dryer lint soaked in candle wax last long enough to start a fire ?
    We use it all the time in our burn pit. We do not have a shredder and I generate a lot of sensitive documents during the course of a week. So we use dryer lint to get things started works really well and is environmentally friendly.

Reactions: Leo

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We used to make fire starters out of that for camping. We would lay out the dryer lint in egg crates, the cardboard kind, fill with candle wax. After they set up then cut out the sections individually. They work great.
    Same thing, except we used old milk jugs, the waxy cardboard types.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've used it plain and it works fine on reasonably dry fuel. Cotton balls and vasoline are better, but lint is free.

Reactions: wcd

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    When we used to go camping more often I would also pack 3 empty toilet paper rolls full of dryer lint. Some times I would break off a couple match heads and put them in the middle. I'd then put the rolls in a plastic bag and seal em up. Used them to light a fire after or during rain many times.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    We put dryer lint into bathroom dixie cups and drip wax on it. Works well.

@Born2vette gives us planer and router chips from his woodshop. A couple handfuls piled underneath your fire lights easily and burns hot to quickly start the fire.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We use lint or cotton balls soaked in Vaseline. Would last 5+ mins. Learned it in sere, used it ever since.
    THIS 110%
    I tried dryer lint. fast to ignite but also fast to peter out. Forget about it. (at least as a BoB item.)

The key to the impregnated cotton balls is by ripping them in half, you expose tiny fibers that VERY easily ignite. even with a sparking tool like a flint and steel. They are so good as firestarters I dont JUST use them for the BoB. Ive got a box of them in my minibarn for starting the fire pit. (when I want the teens to start it. Otherwise I use old kerosene LOL)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I laughed at the wife when she did the wax soaked dryer lint in an egg carton project. I am kind of a fan of petroleum accelerants.

She tore off one square from that carton, put the kindling over it and easily lit her "starter". I apologized for laughing, it worked great. I still like the flare up of gasoline and 2 stroke oil, but the lint and wax starters are a very good invention. No special storage needs either.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    We used to make fire starters out of that for camping. We would lay out the dryer lint in egg crates, the cardboard kind, fill with candle wax. After they set up then cut out the sections individually. They work great.
    I used to do the same, then we got a German shepherd. More hair in the trap than lint.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    we use this same method. Dryer lint in cardboard eggs crates, drip candle wax all over em, best fire starters ever. Throw in some pine needles for great smell.

Top Bottom