• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    The laws are changing and hard to keep up with. I need to take a quick road trip to Maine from Indy, I want to carry a loaded handgun in my vehicle while driving, need to be legal but having a hard time getting caught up on the laws of the states between here and there, any help on this will be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    www.handgunlaw.us

Each state has a downloadable PDF with the do's and don'ts.

I think NY will be the only challenge. Unloaded, locked up and out of reach.
    ^^This!!^^ Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 directs passage across States with firearms. Read up and know what's required. Vermont, NH, and Maine make up the ConC NE corner of the US.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Had same prob. 4 yrs ago. Checked reciprocity list’s and called NY state police. They told me at that time if secure and unloaded away from me, legally I’d be OK from himself. But could not speak for locals. Advised I not carry through NY. I put it in a locked box in the bed of truck at state line and carried on. Fill gas before driving through state, obey traffic laws. Use your own judgment and good luck. JMO

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just went to Maine in June.

Stopped in Erie, OH for gas, coffee, and to lock up. Stayed the night in Sayre, PA, just so I wouldn't be staying in New York. PA recognizes our LTCH.

Back on the road thru NY again the next morning, but stop in Brattleboro, NH to reload.

Beautiful drive. Route is:
    70 to 71
    71 to 90
    90 to 86
    Stop in Sayre, PA
    86 to 88
    88 to Albany/Troy to pick up 7 into NH which becomes 9
    Pick up 4 in Concord
    that takes you to 95 or 1 at Portsmouth, NH.
    Head north into Maine.

It is longer by about 20 minutes than the interstate highway route. Totally worth it to avoid Boston. Several nice little towns, lots of scenery, and a distillery at the top of the mountain.

You can go I70 or I80 across PA, but the TRAFFIC. Then, you have to navigate NY and Boston. Not worth the few minutes of time saved.

I've left early and punched straight through, but that is a DRIVE. We break it up, now.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Need to read this from a NY Attorney on FOPA and traveling thru NY.
    It will open your eyes on FOPA.
    Brings up a good point: You can be 100% legal in your transportation of a gun and 100% legal in your driving. They pull you over for whatever made up reason (possibly fueled by out of state plates or pro-2a stickers?) bankrupting you and making your life living hell for years proving you're 100% legal.

Top Bottom